Oktava MK-012 any thoughts or comments on it

ProSound

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Success!  Received my MK-012 low cut capsule today, and I'm happy to say handling noise is gone :)

I may need to get this or do the mod.  Last night working with my MK-012.  Handling noise was terrible.  I could see the boom op.  He was holding the pole with a gentle touch in an essentially locked down position.  The noise was overwhelming.  Any movement of his fingers (no matter how minute) was amplified to an unusable level.  My friend, who is gaffing this movie, had a scheops 541 in his truck.  (he owns a full service production company)  I switched it out and the difference was remarkable.  The handling noise was gone.  And the tone switched from Oktava crispy to Schoeps brilliant.  I've always known there was a difference, but in the studio the difference is not that noticeable.  That's why I believed the argument that the Oktava was 90% of Schoeps at 10% of the price and bought matched stereo pair with 6 capsules.  But in the field the difference is deafening.  I am about to use this MK-012 and its stereo mate (also noisy) as fishing sinkers.  But if the mod or the low cut make these useable, I may hang on to them.

The low cut filter made a massive handling noise improvement for boom work.  We used it with the MK on our film for interiors and found it very useful and great sounding for instances we could get the boom within 3'.  Anything more and it just became too distant, even with using the hyper capsule.  Until I do get something nicer, I'll definitely be using the MK-012 for sit down interview situations.

" I've always known there was a difference, "

the rule: "Generally speaking, you get what you pay for"

I can't believe this thread is going after 4 years. Senator, I think you were there in the Sound Room when we were A-B'ing our Schoeps CMC441 against another instructors Oktava outfit with all the capsules.  Recorded in Foley Room to PT TDM , played back for comparison. Yes, that Oktava was good, but the Schoeps!....had a refinement in the sound that couldn't be touched. The difference was like eating at Denny's compared to The Carnelian Room in SF at the top of the tower. I think we were recording voice and guitar for this test.

http://www.dennys.com/en/default.aspx

http://carnelianroom.com/

I can't believe this thread is going after 4 years. Senator, I think you were there in the Sound Room when we were A-B'ing our Schoeps CMC441 against another instructors Oktava outfit with all the capsules.  Recorded in Foley Room to PT TDM , played back for comparison. Yes, that Oktava was good, but the Schoeps!....had a refinement in the sound that couldn't be touched. The difference was like eating at Denny's compared to The Carnelian Room in SF at the top of the tower. I think we were recording voice and guitar for this test.

http://www.dennys.com/en/default.aspx

http://carnelianroom.com/

I don't know if it's an omen but the Carnelian Room link says they closed on Jan 1, 2010.

Eric

I don't know if it's an omen but the Carnelian Room link says they closed on Jan 1, 2010.

Eric

Yes, as a matter of fact, the Big Boss said there were too many complaints with the CMC441... it needed a 9 volt to make it work. I had to replace it to satisfy the users.....a Shure KSM27 was the replacement. I asked what to do with the Schoeps. Was told to get rid of it.. it's no good!

• 2 months later...

The OSIX suspension is meant to e used with the BBG, if I'm not wrong

It is very expensive though

I wonder what can be used with the Oktava for interiors. I mean the equivalent to a Schoeps W5D.

The Oktavas have that mushroom shape capsules...

Although expensive, has anyone used the Osix suspension mount with an Oktava? I have the KSSM right now and it's just not working. Looking at trying the InVision 7 too...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and I'm glad I found this great forum.

I've been using Oktava MK 012s for almost three years now and I'd like to offer my perspective. I bought a matched stereo set with cardioid, hyper and omni capsules at oktava-online.com here in Germany for less than 400 Euros, primarily in order to record music. This is the official dealer and I'm quite sure the mics they sell are quality checked. After some time I realized how well they work for dialogue, so I started using them as boom/plant mics.

I have experienced them to be the most effective for interiors, especially in rooms with low ceilings where sometimes a short mic can come in really handy. I mostly use the hyper capsule, but also the cardioid when I can afford it. I even used the omni capsule a couple of times in loud shouting, fighting etc. situations.

I never used an MK012 on a boom without a low cut roll filter. Impossible if you ask me. But any standard mixer's or recorder's low cut rolloff works nicely so there is no more boom movement noise. I put a standard cheap foam windshield on the capsule, bought a couple for a few euros and it works fine. The mount I use for inside is a Rode SM 3. When I use the Oktava for expeteriors I put it in a Rycote S 300 zeppelin and put the short end to the front. The mic has the same diameter as the Sennheiser MKH 416 so it fits on many standard mounts.

The MK012 is not a very loud mic, and comparing it to my MKH 416 you'll need a bit more amplification, so good preamps are crucial if you're going to record quiet stuff (as with Schoeps by the way). With Sound Devices pres you won't have notable noise even when you do nature/ambience. My favorite stereo setup for these mics is A-B stereo with omni capsules at about 10 inches distance between the two mics. Very nice imaging.

I recently bought the Oktava mini preamp which is sort of like the Colette system by Schoeps. Great for planting/hiding the mic, e.g. in a car (something I love the Oktavas for by the way). That way the whole mic is about as long as an XLR connector.

Thanks Zack for the blog about Oktava M/S recording. I intended to do the same but ended up not buying the 8 adapter because it wouldn't fit in my windscreen. I might buy a Rode blimp and the adapter now after seeing this...

Bottom line: I can recommend the Oktava MK 012 to anyone who wants a great versatile mic that is not too expensive. However if I didn't have to worry about money I would definitely buy Schoeps instead, all I ever saw and heard by this company is just perfect. A bit like Apple ;) I was at the Schoeps factory once and they're total perfectionists.

Anyway, the Oktava mics have a similar sound to Schoeps which are extremely linear, so they're a great bargain at the price.

It ain't a Schoeps, but a decent mic, monetary value not withstanding. As I have remarked here and on other forums, there are the Chinese versions about, (counterfeit?) and they're  susceptible to handling and wind noise. Not to mention the quality-control issues, which supposedly is now being addressed.

I purchased my 012s from "The Sound Room" who tests/hand-picks and matches stereo sets. About $100 more than the off-the-shelf "do ya feel lucky today" retailers.

- Dan Brockett did a pretty elaborate shoot-out awhile back on a bunch of the popular production mics, including the 012. Don't have the URL at the moment, but worth the search IMO.

No the Rode Blimp's diameter is much bigger... pros/cons with that.  On that blog page, on the right side column there are options you can navigate to find the recordings... or just go to the blog home link here.  The different recordings are just parts of other entries, not found in that specific Oktava page (I should have been a little more clear sorry).

great recordings, Zack. Makes me wanna get the 8 adapter (it's a cheapo at 99 Euros over here) and a Rode blimp... You got the stereo clips directly from Rycote UK?

great recordings, Zack. Makes me wanna get the 8 adapter (it's a cheapo at 99 Euros over here) and a Rode blimp... You got the stereo clips directly from Rycote UK?

LSC Ordered them for me.  There's a new fig 8 head now that looks a bit better, might wana look into that

I own an original hand matched pair from TULA.

I sent them to Oktavamods.com 5-6 years ago and offered Mike to work as long as he wants and find a good mod.

The first MK012 he modded were mine.

After they came back I noticed a great improvement in the sound. It sounded like the mics became more transparent and flat sounding. Highs were clearer "not as harsh" and mids were as flat as it gets.

I have the cardioid version and sold my hyper cardioid heads.

To me the cardioid sounds better.

Actually omni sounds the best but not very practical for our use.

Oktava was my main short mic for interiors and while I think they sound great handling is a nightmare.

They were great for steady interviews and plant mics. But when you start swinging around the pole it all goes to hell.

Very important thing that I noticed is If you just use a Foam on the head sometimes you can hear the body noise.

In a zeppelin is better

Check Oktavamod.com. Highly recommended.

LSC Ordered them for me.  There's a new fig 8 head now that looks a bit better, might wana look into that

if the one you mean is the same that I mean, then it's no good because though it is not as wide as the "old" one, its shape is like a ball which means you'd have to increase the distance between the mid and 8 mics, so that would be impractical for M/S in a zeppelin.

Ah yes, for zep use it would be a problem.  I was only considering the actual characteristics of the capsule design vs the one I have

yeah but the recordings you did sound great plus I like the idea of the adapter since I (as many others) have the 6 capsule kit... as for the quiet stuff having noise problems - have you tried the MS setup with your shotgun as mid signal? Should deliver quieter recordings...?

yeah but the recordings you did sound great plus I like the idea of the adapter since I (as many others) have the 6 capsule kit... as for the quiet stuff having noise problems - have you tried the MS setup with your shotgun as mid signal? Should deliver quieter recordings...?

If I had a quieter boom I would, the AT4073a is a fairly hot output mic and self noise is not near as quiet as the MK-012.

afaik the Chinese versions are fake, however quite easy to tell from the real ones. A web search will provide info on how to find out if an MK 012 is fake or real.

I haven't seen a "fake" Oktava offered for sale in MANY years now.  The ones that say "ASM" on them are NOT fakes--they were just built under a convoluted business deal that went bad.  There is a website that shows what to look for-- the diffs are very obvious, and the fakes were only available from one source (Guitar Center) and only for a very short period of time.  The "real" Oktavas, esp the older ones, are very variable in quality, as their QC and parts sourcing were pretty spotty.  That all said, I've found them to be a great value for the money, especially as instrument mics.    Whether the mods available for them are worth the money as compared to spending the cost of the mic + the mod on a different mic are down to personal sonic aesthetics, I say.

phil p