Am I Just Unlucky?

Mark Farag

Hi all,

I recently picked up a secondhand Zaxcom Maxx. It was used only a handful of times indoors from the previous owner and arrived in perfect working and cosmetic condition. Within the last 3 weeks of using the device I've experienced some disappointing issues with the build quality and am posting here to see if my experience with the Maxx is typical or not. Please note I'm not here to slam Zaxcom. Although I'm still learning its in and outs I've immediately been able to recognize its potential and am excited to use it more. It is clearly a powerful device and am impressed with its feature-set.  I've heard Zaxcom mention multiple times they look for user feedback so it is my intention to facilitate a friendly discussion here and see if others have experienced similar issues.

Issue #1:  Within a few days of using the unit, the compact flash release button broke. The internal spring no longer has any tension and does nothing when pressed. Oddly enough when I was in the market for a Maxx last month a user on this forum was selling his and mentioned his compact flash release button also broke within just weeks of purchasing it. Although I'm primarily a camera operator I've used all forms of media (compact flash, SD, Cfast, SSD, etc.) on a variety of cameras and recorders for the past 12 years. I know how to carefully insert and remove media. I take care of my equipment, and I was cautious when handling the Maxx. Although I can still pull the CF card in and out using my fingernails I'm concerned over time this awkward pulling could cause the internal pins in the recorder to become damaged. When I called Zaxcom to inquire about it they estimated that the repair cost could be about $100. Factor in shipping to/from the facility and its looking like a ~$150-$200 repair. As an independent filmmaker on a tight budget who saved up for a long time to invest in the Maxx I was under the impression this device was built to hold up over time. Anyone else experience this issue?  I'm wondering even if I get it repaired what stops it from happening again *if* it is a inherent flaw with the design of the spring/release?

Issue #2:  The tip of my 1/4" headphone adapter broke off and is now stuck in the Maxx, rendering the entire device useless. Again, I treat my gear with respect. Last week I tried removing my 7506s. To my dismay when I pulled out the 1/4" adaptor it was missing its tip. I can see it stuck in the port and I'm not sure I know of any pliers narrow enough to safely pull it out. And I'd rather not open up the whole device and try to repair it myself. Granted its completely fair to assume this could have been an issue with the 1/4" adaptor and not the Maxx. Nothing lasts forever and maybe the 1/4" adaptor was on its last leg. It just seems like a terrible coincidence and makes me question the build quality further. Perhaps the headphone port's build tolerance isn't as strict as other devices, and it is a hair too tight?  Anyone else experience this issue?  I've used Sound Devices products, Tascam, Marantz, etc, and never had this issue.  Although I haven't yet called Zaxcom about this issue I'm guessing the repair cost could be similiar to the CF release. Again, a bit disappointing for a product of this price/caliber. But maybe Mercury is in retrograde, and this is just my poor luck?

Issue #3: (This could be user error) I've always had good luck with SanDisk cards and was under the impression using them was generally a safe bet with Zaxcom. I'm using SanDisk 16GB Extreme 60 MB/s cards which I figured would be plenty fast for the Maxx. Before my 1/4" adaptor got stuck I was able to record a handful of clips including a final clip 18 minutes in length. Upon connecting the CF card to my PC for transfer all the clips showed up, but the last 18 minute clip showed a file size of 0 bytes. Fortunately, Zaxcom's damn cool file-rebuilding system kicked into effect when I reinserted the CF card into the Maxx and it was able to rebuild the missing/damaged file perfectly. While I'm glad to know the internal file recovery works, I'm a bit concerned that it had to work. I powered off the recorder normally after my recordings so I'm trying to figure out why this happened. Are my CF cards not fast enough for the Maxx?  Or is this just a fluke?  I've looked for an official CF compatibility list from Zaxcom, but can't find one.

Any insight into these issues would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Take care,

Mark

#1 - This could be a fluke?

#2 - I don't see how this could be the MAXX's fault, this sounds like an adaptor failed and is not related to the machine.  Zaxcom doesn't manufacture the HP port (that I know of) they use the same board mounted connector found on many devices.

#3 - What mirroring settings did you use?  If you had mirroring set to "ON" and not "Continuous" then you turned the machine off before it was able to write the WAV file, it could cause the symptoms you describe.  Make sure you familiarize yourself completely with the different mirroring options on the MAXX.  You can also try using Zaxconvert to copy the BWAV files onto your computer.

Either way, #2 & #3 don't sound to me like they have to do with build quality.

I feel for you but like Wandering Ear I can't imagine the Maxx has anything to do with that headphone adapter breaking. That would have to be an insanely strong headphone jack to break the tip of your adapter off, and realistically I'd think the headphone jack itself would break long before the adapter. 

I also can't imagine it would be that costly to have Zaxcom repair the headphone jack if you're already having them work on the CF release. They already would have the machine open - should be quick for them to just get out the tip of your adapter. 

-Mike

I've had tips break off of the 7506 adapters before -- was using something other than Zaxcom at the time.  Not a fun event, but focus your ire eastward -- way beyond New Jersey.

Re: The File -- Like Kelsey mentioned, it sounds very much like you pulled a card, or shut down, prior to the completion of mirroring -- chalk it up to user error.  Ain't it great you're using a system with such slick recovery from a misstep!  MARF (Zaxcom's fault-tolerant file system) has been my buddy more than once.

Pulling a card out manually applies no more stress on the pins than via the plunger.  As a matter of fact it could be even less if you pull evenly, as a plunger typically leverages the card out from one side.  

Have the CF holder replaced and enjoy your machine.

I agree with everything said. I have a Maxx and a Nomad 12. I use one or the other everyday and have for years. I have sent my machines in at least once a year for basic maintence... They are very well built machines.

MARF has saved me more than once. The other issues sound like coincidences.

If you buy a second hand machine, sending it in to the factory is always a good idea. Just bite the bullet send in the Maxx, get it repaired and move on. It's an awesome machine, you won't regret it once it's all said and done. 

Here's the deal with Zaxcom in my experience. You have to buy in for the features and commit to repairs, quirks, software flukes and the like. These are not very commonplace in my experience, but they do crop up and you have to deal with it. Just like many other pieces of kit available to us. 

All of our equipment is expensive, and some work better than others. It's just the name of the game. 

With Zaxcom I've had a fair amount of parts fail over the course of a year of use but also would not consider the repair costs out of line with this business. Stuff happens and then poof you just spent $400 getting your kit back to where it was yesterday and it's down for a week or two on shipping. It happens. 

So the best thing IMO is to plan that you'll need to pay out from time to time to keep even straight from the factory Zaxcom equipment in spec. So, if you can commit to buying equipment from a specialty, low volume manufacturer, then you have to decide if the hassle and cost of maintenance is worth it or not. 

If you want something extremely reliable that will work well and never let you down, then I'd go with the options most of the mixers in your area are using. It will be easier to get replacements when stuff goes down, it's easier for others to use your kit. 

When you go Zaxcom you're in a smaller community supported by a smaller company. It's just more expensive. You're paying more than the MSRP. 

Look at it this way: you've now had all the bad karma with this machine, so it will be nothing but good times from now on!  In any case, since you bought the machine used, it's a pretty good idea to have Zax take a look at it anyhow.  If you bought a used car you'd have your mechanic look at it so you'd have an accurate idea of the real condition of the thing, the Maxx is a complex device so if you plan to risk your rep with it I'd suggest sending it on a vacation to NJ.  If you are going to be a Zax owner going forward getting to know those folks will be a very good idea.

2 hours ago, RScottATL said:

Here's the deal with Zaxcom in my experience. You have to buy in for the features and commit to repairs, quirks, software flukes and the like. These are not very commonplace in my experience, but they do crop up and you have to deal with it. Just like many other pieces of kit available to us. 

All of our equipment is expensive, and some work better than others. It's just the name of the game. 

With Zaxcom I've had a fair amount of parts fail over the course of a year of use but also would not consider the repair costs out of line with this business. Stuff happens and then poof you just spent $400 getting your kit back to where it was yesterday and it's down for a week or two on shipping. It happens. 

So the best thing IMO is to plan that you'll need to pay out from time to time to keep even straight from the factory Zaxcom equipment in spec. So, if you can commit to buying equipment from a specialty, low volume manufacturer, then you have to decide if the hassle and cost of maintenance is worth it or not. 

If you want something extremely reliable that will work well and never let you down, then I'd go with the options most of the mixers in your area are using. It will be easier to get replacements when stuff goes down, it's easier for others to use your kit. 

When you go Zaxcom you're in a smaller community supported by a smaller company. It's just more expensive. You're paying more than the MSRP. 

Sounds like you have to develop a deep personal relationship with Zaxcom as you will be sending it home for maintenance. 

This is the main reason I have not ventured down the Zax road as sending things back from Australia is expensive of dollars and time.

What's that phrase "YMMV" --- your mileage may vary...  I have been using Zaxcom equipment from the very beginning, all the way back to the Deva I. I can count on one hand the number of times any piece of equipment has had to go back to Zaxcom (or anywhere else) for service, maintenance or repairs. Am I just LUCK? I don't think so.

I used a Zaxcom recorder for 10 years with no issues that took a trip back to the mothership. Was I lucky? Hard to say. I have had headphone tips come off in the port but I got them out with a roach clip/suture clamp. Things happen w all gear. My SD 688 had to go in to repair the sd card holder. It's always a bummer when gear has problems but that is why I have multiple everything in the recording chain. Hope your luck turns for the better.

CrewC

About the CF cards:

Was the card new?

I refuse to take production cf cards after a few incidents that was 100% the CF card fault but still repairable.

These CF cards are older and been used to record from canon 5d mark II all the way to Canon C300.

I don't know but I feel that writing large amount of data "VIDEO" puts a lot of stress on cards and they become unstable.

Also there was an issue with counterfeit cards.

With CF cards buy NEW from reputable source.

There was also an issue with USB3 readers in to MacPro PCs that were corrupting the cards.

I always use one of these for my headphones to minimise plugging in and out of the recorder/mixer. If the headphone jack breaks off, at least it's in this cable and not the device. Set up your kit with one of these and leave it there. I have one for each of my bags. 

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories/audio-cables-and-interconnects/xl-14

All gear has problems from time to time. Why do I feel comfy with SD or Zax? Because they're damn attentive to us. Try this with Sony, Tascam or any of a number of others. I can't imagine the run about I'd get if I tried to phone the person working on a DR-680 or equivalent. I can call Nelson or Dennis and talk with them in one minute or less. This could be done in the elapsed time in between camera set ups. 

Incidentally, about #2: Regarding the lost tip, it was very likely the build quality of the headphone adaptor. The lower quality TRS connectors use a steel shank with a spline machined to the 'tip' end of the shank. So the tip is only pressed onto the shank and held there with friction. With a pair of pliers, I've noticed that the ones with steel shanks can be pulled right off the spline. 

Conversely, other manufacturers (Switchcraft, Neutrik), build the shank out of #2 brass, and no matter what I do, I cannot get them to separate. The five shanks/tips to the left are friggin' inseparable. They seem to be "one". After some fervent pounding and cajoling, the tip eventually just breaks off (notice the brass shank at the top of the first pic). The 'exploded' TRS on the right (in the first pic) is an example of one of the lower quality TRS connectors. To give you a better idea of what I mean, have a look at the inside of the tip of lower quality TRS (the second pic). Though the spline is machined onto the steel shank, the tip has no matching spline. So the tip is just wedged/forced on to the spline, as evidenced by the grooved marks on the inside of the tip. That's what makes them eventually come apart, I'd strongly venture. 

You bought a great machine. Develop relations with mothership. I like what Philip says: 

On 9/9/2016 at 8:49 PM, Philip Perkins said:

In any case, since you bought the machine used, it's a pretty good idea to have Zax take a look at it anyhow.  If you bought a used car you'd have your mechanic look at it so you'd have an accurate idea of the real condition of the thing, the Maxx is a complex device so if you plan to risk your rep with it I'd suggest sending it on a vacation to NJ.  If you are going to be a Zax owner going forward getting to know those folks will be a very good idea.

They'll be there with open arms to catch any fall. They're very concerned with their gear performing at it's peak for you in the field, and that's a damn good reason to use their gear. They're great people who care about what we do, and any issues we have with their products. They work to make their products even better, on what happens to us out there. They will be there for you. That's the difference to me....since all gear breaks. Entropy happens. 

IMG_7343.JPG

IMG_7346.JPG