Kangaroo PC

Wandering Ear

Before I give up on the Nomad Touch completely (for other reasons than just not liking the interface), I thought I'd reach out to others running a Kangaroo PC for the Touch/Hub Software.  I was hoping this machine would be dual purpose, running both the Zaxcom software, as well as being useful for playback etc.  I'm running an Ipad Mini as the interface.  So far I've found it to be incredibly laggy, to the point it's almost unusable.  Also somewhat unreliable, losing connection with the ipad at times.  I'm considering buying a cheap touchscreen monitor instead of the Ipad.  The Kangaroo PC also get really really hot.  Hot enough I can barely touch it.  

I'll admit that this is the first windows machine I've owned in probably more than a decade, and some of my frustration may also stem from using Windows 10, and from getting to know another OS.  Has anyone tried running the Zaxcom software in parallels or wine?  

What optimizations / settings have you found to be helpful on the Kangaroo PC to get things running smoother.  I've disabled sleep completely, since the HUB / Touch software loses communication if the PC goes to sleep.

Any thoughts, experiences, etc would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sam.  I'm running os linx via usb, sometimes the response is good, sometimes it's very poor.  

Are you using the PC for anything else except Zaxcom touch?  I would really like to be able run playback in addition to the touch software, and maybe email.  It seems like the GUI lag is the worst when I have a bad network connection, but also bad when running a couple apps, even though CPU usage is around 20-30 %.  I'm still trying to nail down specific situations that cause the lag, inevitably once I'm back in the studio testing things out, it works great.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well parallels worked, so I may end up with a Mac mini in the end.  The $200 PC seemed like the right tool though, a Mac mini is overkill for a computer permanently mounted on the cart.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RadoStefanov said:

I am not putting a computer in my bag. Period.

You mean besides the nomad?  

But really, this isn't for the bag, just for cart work.  I don't see any benefits of it in a bag.

As an update, it seems that my lag problems are only present when the kangaroo has other things running in the bg, or when connected to a bad wifi connection.  Even though resource monitor shows low CPU usage and some (small amount) of free ram, it still bogs down and chokes.  I've been able to get it reliable again if nothing else is running.  However that to me kind of defeats the purpose of running a full mini computer.  Combine that with the fact that I like the nomads interface more than the touch software, which still needs more work, I will probably end up taking it off the cart all together.  Less complication means less to go wrong.