Next bane of our existence: XLR --> GoPro audio converter

This may not be the first XLR adapter for GoPro cameras, I haven't really been looking, and those little cameras are a rather regular (net positive) part of my life. But one of these days someone's going to ask me to run sound to this thing...or ask for help for setting up their new really small DIY handheld camera. And I'll cry a little. And then move on...

"This Audio Converter is designed to adapt XLR male plugs—industry standard in pro audio situations—into a 10-pin mini-USB stereo plug suitable for GoPro cameras. It features 2x XLR female jacks (for the male XLR connection) and comes with a 15mm rod clamp that can attach to any 1/4"-20 threaded hole. Please note: This adapter does not provide phantom power. Made in the USA."

http://www.indiproco.com/professional-audio-converters/audio-converter-for-gopro/#tab-1

IndiPro_GoPro.png

Yes Jim, I just received the email from Markertek http://m.markertek.com/product/indi-acgp53/indipro-tools-acgp53-audio-converter-for-gopro-cameras?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=MTK-WKLY-09-13-16

and I came here to post about it.

I'm scratching my head a little though. The scenarios where I've come across GoPro cams have mainly been car rigs, and usually there are 3 or more rolling so just slate, and roll sound separately.

For action sports, rigs on helmets etc, any extra unit/cabling/weight (however small) would be nixed pretty quick. Isn't the whole point that they are small?

But yes, It's probably just a matter of time before some genius will want to do...  "first feature film all shot on GoPro".

2 hours ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Why not TA5 if it's for a small camera?

I don't think the IndiPro converter is aimed at people who would know what to do with TA5.

I have no idea how this thing will be used. But I think some of us will find out...and will then be asked what is phantom power...

Become an indie pro today, use it to hook up your go pro to the new zoom f4 and you're in business!! No doubt some that some people will actually generate work for themselves by upgrading to better audio for go pro. has anyone ever tried to input time code on the audio track on these thingys?

Some GoPro models are easier than others to access audio in. I've never been asked to feed them.

Timecode Systems at NAB had a "time code back" for a GoPro. If post has a lot to sync, it's an option. It also works in a waterproof case, which makes it usable in places that cables to the GoPro won't work.

http://www.timecodesystems.com/introducing-the-syncbac-pro-2/

The SyncBac Pro unit definitely looks interesting and it seems like they just started production of the units in early September. Just in time for the announcement of the new GoPro Hero 5! Just one small problem ... the GoPro 5 seems to lack the multi-pin expansion connector on the back like the earlier GoPro models have. Which means there's nothing for the SyncBac unit to plug in to.

It looks like audio input via USB may still be an option for the GoPro 5, although they switched to a USB Type-C port (rather than the mini-USB port included on GoPro 4 and earlier). Which means that the original GoPro 3.5mm to micro USB adapter and the IndiPro XLR to USB adapter that started this thread, would not be directly compatible with the new GoPro Hero 5 models.

It looks like GoPro will have an updated 3.5mm to USB Type-C adapter as an accessory for $50 though:
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter/AAMIC-001.html