Lectrosonics UM400a Noise Problems

Chriscc123

Hey there everyone!

I just recently purchased a pair of used UM400as (block 470) from our friends over at Tai Audio in Florida. I thought all was well until a shoot about a week ago when I noticed that one of my transmitters had been very noisy. The way I would describe it; a white noise hiss that fills the floor. I've tried everything I can think of, changed freq, changed cables, changed mics, changed compat modes and even tried changing NR amount, but to no avail. The problem is now very consistent and very intrusive.

I'm hoping with all my might that it's just user error and that the collective here can help me out. I've only ever experienced this once before with a UM400 that I rented about a year and a half ago. Didn't think to much about it then. I'm guessing the only other action I have is to send it into Lectro and have them repair it. The receiver that I'm using is Lectrosonics SRC.

Thanks for the help in advanced and please let me know if you guys want any other info! Also a happy hello to everyone here at jwsound!

19 minutes ago, Constantin said:

What did it sound like when you tested it before the job?

If I'm remember correctly it did sound a bit different then the other one, which was crystal clear. It almost sounded like compression, or as if the noise floor was a little higher.

Edit: Just turned the gain pot all the up and down and it freaked out, made a bunch of squeeling sounds, starting to thing something may be up with the preamp? Now the just sounds like a fuzzy limiter was slapped on there.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Well, just if anyone is interested, I sent it off to the mother ship and after a 2 long weeks of testing they finally pinpointed the problem to a noisy gain pot and a noisy filter board on the front panel ta5 jack. They replaced both. I'm guessing this kind of thing does not get better with age... Anyhow if anyone has this problem this might be the answer.