Deadliest Catch - Anyone watching this?

ptalsky

I'm hooked on this show (it's about the dangerous conditions in the Bering Sea during crab season).  Anyway, let me tell you, if you watch it, I assure you that you will never complain about working conditions again.  The camera guys on that show are working in some very dangerous conditions.

My question is, does anyone know what kind of mics they're using?  It appears that they are just using camera-mounted shotguns, but you so rarely see the camera guys in the shot that it is hard to tell.  And, generally speaking, the audio is amazingly good considering the conditions and the camera mounted mics.

If I had to guess, given the conditions (very wet, rainy, cold, salty) probably 416's...but I would love to know for sure.

Anyway, check it out if you haven't seen it...It's on Discovery...

Phil

yes it is a very cool show, I helped setup Doug Stanley (DP/Audio sup) with the gear for Original Prods. they have a 1 man crew on each boat. Doug is very amazing dude. operating the camera as well as the audio. they gear they purchased and used was sd 302 mixer lectro 411's w/mm400's with b6's and 201's for hops (they bought over a dozen just before they were discontinued) and 416's for onboard mics and "plant" mics. 

Doug and his crew did a great jog with minimal damage over a long peroid of time. (2 lavs) 1-mm400 (lost overboard) they actually brought 1-bl27 201 w/mm400 and put it on consignment, (we sold it last month) if you think the fisherman have it tough, just think of the crew operating and maintaining and logging what was shot. my hat goes off to them, I recently watched a show and it is really awesome to think of what they went thru.

regards,

fsbella

LL,

whats up man? good luck going out on yr own. (I will tell Brian Linder hello for you) I miss wilmington and the grits

miguel,

also,

they used the koala lavalier windjammers on the b6's all the time, and they sent the audio to a beta deck in  the cabin for backup audio.  but basically the audio is all from the camera's, no other recorders at all.

later,

fsbella

I believe scott, they can put the tram backwards with the diaphram inwards towards the chest and still get enough of the omni pickup to work. but deadliest uses b6's exclusivley. are service dept. worked a entire day to get that order ready, we had around 1 week to get the entire order together.

later,

fsbella

thanks for the info all...I still say I won't complain about location work again after seeing what those camera ops had to go through.  Off topic question:  Do you know what camera they're using?  The one quick glimpse I got it looked like a PD150 or PD170, or a DVX100.  Also, did they wire each crew member or is that just the on-board mic?

Thanks again!

Phil

thanks for the info all...I still say I won't complain about location work again after seeing what those camera ops had to go through.  Off topic question:  Do you know what camera they're using?  The one quick glimpse I got it looked like a PD150 or PD170, or a DVX100.  Also, did they wire each crew member or is that just the on-board mic?

Thanks again!

Phil

phil,

I will ask the producer for sure, they are picking up walkies this week. (I think it was the170)

also,  Doug did have a wireless on all "cast members".  the show got picked up again, so Doug and his crew will be out there again with those fisherman.

fsbella

thanks scott I can speak for myself.

LL & PHIL, I am working at Coffey sound in the sales dept.basically with no more room for adavancement (salary and promotions within lsc) I had a opportunity to come back to coffey and help him make some changes in a positive way.

besides what a few people think about wexler, they have never made any desicions for John nor have they passed on any rentals or sales are way.

LL, 

I love grits, but I wouldn't know what to do with them. take care.

phil,

they shoot on 170's and record to mini dv decks (pro 50's) and they mic 3 or 4 deck hands and the captain. the rest is

on the 416 camera mic and plant mics around the deck and bridge. they asked Doug back and he is "leaning" to come back.

talk to you later,

fsbella

Scott,

You've got a good eye.  Though I have to admit, I'm actually trying to watch this show for enjoyment purposes, rather than research.  ;-)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm finding that there are very few movies and shows that I can just immerse myself it without analyzing the technical or acting quality of the project.  Especially now that I'm studying Meisner technique.  It's amazing how easy it has become to identify the actors that really can't act.  ;-)  Seems to be the downside of doing what we do. 

Phil

Doug Stanley & I have worked together in the past and both of us are from NorCal. He loves the extreme adventure stuff and was a white water guide before becoming a cameraman. He will be doing one more season DC. He also has a show coming out soon about Lobsets in Maine and life in the military in Iraq. He also just finished a show about life a white water guide and will be starting a show about ski patrol. Good luck Doug.

The world appears to be shrinking...

I'm in the process of moving back to the same little gold town, on the S Fork American River, where many of us cut our teeth in the whitewater world, including Doug and Todd Stanley. Many lives ago, I ran a kayak school there and then basecamp for class 5 carnage photo business. In fact I just got back a couple of days ago from a visit to Coloma/Lotus. The rivers are high and the hills green after much recent precipitation in the motherlode. I'm bouncing between MT and NorCal until we sell our house here in MT, but hope to be back in CA full-time before summer's out.

Todd and I spoke not too long ago about possibilities for collaboration once I get settled out there. I hope something works out 'cause there ain't a lot going on up here in the northern Rockies these days. Even the fly fishing sucks right now with the rivers swollen and muddy...and I hope I never move again. Too much gear, too much of a pack-rat!!!

EB

John,

I did a day for Monster Nation, down in San Diego for some lowrider event. Worst job ever I think. two mooks with these 5 lb cameras running around like mad, and my ( then ) 40 yr  old ass chasing them around a parking lot with 30 lbs of crap attached to me. I'm sweating years of bourbon out in the hot sun thinkin' hey wasn't lunch like an hour ago? Oh yea !  Here's a burrito sit down and eat it ( on the asphalt) and be ready to run in case something happens.

My experience with Monster house was much more civilized and I met some great folks.

LL

I did around three weeks total with them and encountered some interesting people, occupations, and hobbies -- everything from a backyard roller coaster to a jet powered outhouse.

The outhouse was extremely loud and amazingly hot.  I didn't want to take a chance with my Schoeps, so for the powered potty I used my Schoeps' "stunt double" -- an Oktava.

JB