Two Deva 5.8s not jamming

Izen Ears

I plugged in the SB3 like usual, and no incoming tc was detected.  The green numbers were still.  I swapped SB3s and tc cables with the same result.  I did a factory reset too.  Then I swapped Devas and the second deck did not receive anything.

The most likely suspect of course is the cables, but the second cable I tried was brand new.

I have never, ever plugged in a sync box and not had the tc show up.  Help!

Dan Izen

Ah!  That's definitely something to check before sending out, thanks!

Continuing the weirdness to an even deeper level, the deck now thinks it's receiving incoming timecode when the tc cable is plugged in but connected to nothing!  It's like a horror movie where the tv is on but not plugged in.

I will!  But, I just spoke to Glenn and he said it's a common problem with the lemo connector's ground.  Since it shares the ground connection with the power connector, sometimes the unit tries to power up through the lemo, and that blows out a component.  The fix is easy and they add a short so it can't happen again.

He said it happens when one pulls the EXT power plug just the right way while the deck is on.  Which makes zero sense because I power the 5.8s through BDS, but he was still pretty sure of it...

I asked about the internal connector and he didn't think that was it.  When I asked about the "phantom timecode" he attributed that to ground loops.

So I'm sending it in tomorrow and in the meantime, I'm screwed!  Can't get anything in or out of the lemos.

Deck #1 should reach its home tomorrow, and I asked if instead of repairing the lemo, they can just move the i/o to the BNCs.  I'd love to not have to suss that out myself ha!

UPDATE:

Deck #1 is fixed and modified as dreamt of!  Should be back in my arms Monday or Tue.  They made it happen, after Glenn's attention Howy graciously took time out of his busy schedule to pull it off.  Hat's off to you.

This whole thing with both going down at the same time made me realize just how much I adore and rely upon these Devas!  Seriously, I'm running these into the ground.  They're going home as many times as they need to because I love them so much.  Thankfully it's not very often at all, and there are backups for when they do.  Even for this episode, there was a Deva 16 available to stuff in the bag.  It would have been crowded with the addition of that fatass output cable, but would have worked great.  Anyhoo, thanks fer watching and I'll see you all on the next emotional roller coaster!

Dan "Say No To Lemo" Izen