Remote Audio Headset TA5 pinout

jlempen

Hey all!

As I'm currently retrofitting a few Sony MDR-7506 headphones with the Remote Audio Headset Cable, here's the rather unusual pinout for the TA5 connector Remote Audio use on their headsets and headset cables:

1 – Headphone Right

2 – Headphone Left

3 – Headphone Common

4 – Microphone Ground

5 – Microphone Audio (and 5V, if chosen)

Cheers,

Jürg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jurg,

How did the retrofitting go? I'm thinking about picking up the system to use with some of my 7506's. Are you pretty happy with the system? How was the installation and retrofitting of the regular 7506's?

Any info would be stellar. I tried downloading the PDF from RA but the link didn't work. I'm about to message them to see if they can forward it to me....

Cheers,

Ivan

Hey Ivan,

The retrofitting was done in a pinch. On one of my 7506's I wasn't able to slide the new headset cable through the stock strain relief boot, so I simply used some heat-shrink tubing as a strain relief. There's a plastic strain relief loop to secure the cable inside the cup. This works with the new, thicker headset cable as well, but it takes some brute force to push the new cable firmly into the loop. There's no need for the zip-tie included with the new cable. The bare leads of the cable are pre-tinned and the soldering inside the headphones cup is very easy. I think it took me around 15 minutes per set to swap the stock coiled cable with the Remote Audio headset cable.

After two weeks working on set with the system, I can say that it's a terrific solution and I'm very happy with it. My boom man David is glad to hear me loud and clear at last, even when I'm relaxing on my chair. The sound quality of my talkback and slating has improved tremendously thanks to the headset cable.

I'm not quite sure I like the Remote Audio coiled cable, though. It's a very tough cable, but it's heavy and stretching the thing takes quite some strength compared to the stock Sony coiled cable, I can feel it pulling down on the left side of my headphones, which is kind of disturbing. I think I'm gonna swap the coiled section after the small microphone box with some Mogami Mini-Quad cable to see if I'm more at ease with a light and straight cable.

BTW, the retrofitting instructions on Remote Audio's website are written for their modified 7506 high noise headphones, but the instructions are roughly similar for the stock 7506's, you'll figure it out easily.

Attached you'll find the missing PDF.

Cheers,

Jürg

Remote_Audio_Headset_Cable_Assembly_Instructions.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hey Jurg,

It's been a while and apologies for the slow response, but thanks for getting back with all your info. I think I'm going to skip the slate mic for this time and just buy a HN set with the straight cable in the future. Good to know about the coiled cable too. I could easily imagine how something tugging on the left would be distracting. 

Btw, the mogami mini quad cable works great for headphones. I had to re-wire some old Beyers and used the Mogami cable and I'm very happy with the outcome!

-Ivan

• 4 months later...

When using their cable, the color layout is also important as one of the conductors for the microphone is individually shielded.

Pin 1 - Red - Headphone LEFT
Pin 2 - White - Headphone RIGHT
Pin 3 - Black - Headphone COMMON
Pin 4 - Ground - Tied to Shield - Microphone Ground - Microphone (-)
Pin 5 - Yellow - Individually Shielded - Microphone (+)