Shill bidding on Trew used auctions ?

jozzafunk

So what's the deal, anyone know - I'm trying to get a few bits of gear and put bids on a few things on the used sales of Trew.  I've seen these things sitting at the same price for weeks then within minutes of me bidding I get an email to say I've been outbid.  Do they automatically put bids on till you hit the reserve?

1 hour ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

I don't mean to sound harsh, but are you saying that you bid money on something without reading the terms and conditions? Sorry, I don't have time to check for you, but I would bet that Trew has something on their site that explains how their auctions work.

Shouldn't have wasted your breath, or assumed that I haven't....

I looked: Odd that Trew doesn't spell out how their auctions work, though I'd guess Olle's description in post #2 is correct (ie- Trew auctions work like eBay auctions). Or it could be that some people are using sniping/shilling software...lots of apps available for that.

Here's some background on sniping:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_sniping

I'd hope on the Trew site the "reserve" prices aren't much higher than the "opening" prices. Interesting experiment; I guess we'll see how it works out...

6 hours ago, jozzafunk said:

Shouldn't have wasted your breath, or assumed that I haven't....

I apologize if I sounded douchey. I went and looked now, and I am surprised that this is not spelled out. I broke rule number one: "never assume anything". Egg on my face.

Trew are good people (in my experience), giving them a quick call in the morning should get this straightened out.

- Probably eBay style.... but again, rule number one...

5 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

I apologize if I sounded douchey. I went and looked now, and I am surprised that this is not spelled out. I broke rule number one: "never assume anything". Egg on my face.

Trew are good people (in my experience), giving them a quick call in the morning should get this straightened out.

- Probably eBay style.... but again, rule number one...

All good - I've had good dealings with Trew in the past, and thought this was quite weird.  Our local auction site in NZ is not the silent auction style, so I'm fairly unfamiliar with it.