Shipping a cart overseas

sonic_reducer

The best way to ship a cart - not necessarily the cheapest - is to pack it into a shipping case like any other piece of equipment.

It just so happens that I have a suitable case I would be willing to part with. The good news is that I'm not looking for a lot of money. The bad news is that you would have to pick it up. I'm in Los Angeles in the Burbank/North Hollywood area not far from Local 695.

Some disassembly may be necessary to get a cart into a shipping case. No one wants to take a cart completely apart and fit it into an IKEA flat pack but if your cart has flying buttresses it might help to remove them and pack separately.

This case carried my modified PSC cart to Europe twice and Hawaii once. If I remember correctly (it was some time ago), I got it from Steve Nelson who let me have it with the understanding that it would never return. I offer the same opportunity to you.

David

Case-CartLoaded500.jpg

CaseWithOthers2_500.jpg

CaseWithOthers500.jpg

The cart runs off a PSC Powerstation. That unit, and, I believe, all of the cart power systems that Ron Meyer has produced subsequently, automatically accommodates a wide range of voltage and electrical frequency. I only needed to have an adapter for the plug and I was able to work as if I were at home. 

I think that the Remote Audio Meon systems have the same flexibility. 

I strongly recommend using one of these powering systems. Even if there are other work-arounds, the peace of mind is well worth the expense. 

You'll still have to work with converters for some small stuff but that shouldn't be difficult. 

David

12 hours ago, sonic_reducer said:

So, I've got upcoming episodic work in Europe where I anticipate having to ship my cart and follow cart overseas. Anyone else had to deal with this? Tips? Tricks?

As David said a shipping crate is the best and easiest way. The shipping carts that we have made for our carts are a box, the frame of which is 2x1 timber that is lined on the inside with 1/4 ply. The front is removable so that the cart is just rolled in. Other stuff can be packed round it. Two pieces of 4x2 on the bottom mean that it can be lifted with a fork lift truck. We have sent stuff all over the world like this without any problems whatsoever. If I remember correctly the cases cost about 70 UK pounds.

a

Only certain LiPo Pelicans are allowed to be flown. Talk to the shipper who is handling the freight for the show. Camera will be shipping batteries too. Or have production purchase a cart battery for you in France. Much like flying on commercial aircraft, freight aircraft have rules. I ship Comteks and all gear using 9v with an iPower inside and a spare for each in the same area of the shipment. I ship my bag with lithium block attached to the gear it powers and two spares. I don't ship my large lithium, as it's too big to be allowed to fly. I use a SLA battery in the US (as there's power on set and ramps and elevators everywhere). I leave my lithium cart battery in the UK for use when I am here.

Both my main cart and follow cart ship "as is", as I built them into flight approved shipping cases. Extra gear goes in Pelican cases.

Everything I own runs on universal power, and all my power strips are the type G. American power strips will blow a fuse, so buy some 240v rated strips. Something like this   https://www.amazon.com/VCT-USP600-Universal-Built--Protector/dp/B0036ZE6V0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475355278&sr=8-2&keywords=type+g+power+strip  You can then plug French stuff into your cart if need be.