Lectro HM rain protection

Ben B

Hello all,

I just came back from a shoot where we shot a lot up in the mountain, far away from the first road accessible by car. I had my HM at the tip of my boom and everything worked as i should until it started to rain. Since i only had a small backpack with my extra gear, I didn't have any rain protection for it beside the leather pouch and i didn't have a cable with me to put the HM away from the rain. Anyway long story short, It didn't like the rain so much and it is now away for service at Lectro. My question is, does some sort of solution exist (plastic cover/water tight box/...) for the HM beside being a little bit more prepared next time and have a cable with me?

Thanks!

Ben

Have a look at this topic here, most solutions will also work on a boom:

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/28454-sweat-protection-cheap-and-easy/

I'd just use a small clear plastic bag and seal the opening with gaffer tape.

on heavy rain, use a double layer (two plastic backs separately sealed) and mount it so the opening points downwards (or at least make a small loop in the cable just before it enters the bag).

I usually carry a pack of plastic wrap cut into half size  (now small enough for any pocket) and use some wrap layers around the HM to create a short term rain protection. Has never failed, as long as you can cover the boom during non shooting breaks. For constant exposition to heavy rain I'd go with the more elaborated sweat protection thread mentioned above.