Soundman: The Art of Grumpy (a short video)

Jim Feeley

Don't know much about it. Came from The Hard Times, which is sort of The Onion for Punk/Hardcore. But they have some funny articles that will appeal to people way beyond the hardcore world (which was never my scene, man).

http://thehardtimes.net

And they're on Facebook, so sometimes their stuff shows up in my newsfeed.

https://www.facebook.com/thehardtimesnews

4 hours ago, ElanorR said:

Maybe I'm too non-confrontational, but that was really uncomfortable to watch.  I had to force myself to watch it to the end!

I could see that. But it was only funny (to me) because the Soundman character was so blown out of proportion..like to the point of caricature. I can honestly say that I've not seen one near as bad as Mr. Murphy is. 

On 10/6/2016 at 7:45 AM, ElanorR said:

Maybe I'm too non-confrontational, but that was really uncomfortable to watch.  I had to force myself to watch it to the end!

I can see that. For me, it brought back memories of being in bands and occasionally facing FOH folks like that guy. Usually, we came across friendly-enough people. Sometimes we had real grumps. Sometimes we deserved having real grumps. The short made me wistful for my ill-spent youth...

I also liked how the video above took what could have been a niche and shallow joke and spun out a well-made video with broad appeal. Over 600,000 views on Facebook in just two days. 

In my bands back in  66,  67, 68, 69..., we never played in a venue that had a sound system or FOH mixer. We had to bring our own. Always the weak link back then IMO. We played at Parties, the YWCA, YMCA, and Country Clubs, and the Teen Center...  One time at a Roller Rink. My all time favorite show? The Red Barn. A fraternity at Cal State Fullerton. Don't know their Greek name, but I remember this gig well. They "requested" (insisted) we play Gloria, Louie/Louie, & Satisfaction all night. We did. The 5 of us got 40 bucks. And a story or two. Maybe 3...

CrewC

9 hours ago, old school said:

In my bands back in  66,  67, 68, 69..., we never played in a venue that had a sound system or FOH mixer. We had to bring our own.

"And we had to build it ourselves and carry it across town on our backs. Kids these days; you have no idea how easy you have it."

Ya, we didn't always have house sound...that was probably partly why when we did, we made some mixers grumpy.

CrewC- that sounds like a great three song set! And then you got to humblebrag to your friends, "Man I'm tired; we played 12 sets last night." :-)