Lectro SRc field reports?

jonathan chiles

From the Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/69511015699/permalink/10155840314545700/

10422130_10205233255422277_8229208668281173877_n.jpg?oh=0f237aa20351e97ea2d63d339e9cc137&oe=5B1D2F0E Gordon Moore to Lectrosonics February 8 at 1:14pm ·    "Doug Pearson for the win! Doug recently posted pictures showing a discrepancy in the scans between a block 19 SRB and an SRC -A1. After several days of trying to duplicate the problem we finally found it (and are kicking ourselves for not catching this sooner). This answers the problems you ALL have been having with getting interference on "good frequencies" as shown on the scan of the SRC-A1.

There is a bug in the firmware that runs the scan. It was improperly indexing the channel selection in the scan and the hexadecimal value for the frequency was off by 9.2MHz! That's why Dougs pictures showed clear at EE on his SRB and messy EE on his SRC. The SRC receiver was working fine, the scan firmware was not. This also skews the values in the SmartScan by 9.2MHz. (not so smart, huh!)

So, while we will continue with beta testing the SRC new rev boards for their improvements - there ARE improvements there - we have FINALLY found the smoking gun for the majority of weirdnesses the SRC-A1 has shown.

This will require a firmware update for ALL SRC-A1's . We are investigating the B1 and C1 as well to make sure there isn't a similar offset problem.
It will take some time (not too long we hope) to program the bug out and get it tested to make sure we don't break something else with the firmware.
Stay tuned - we will post the new firmware on the website as soon as it is fixed, tested and released.

In the meantime, next time you see Doug, buy him a drink. His post helped us zero in on this bug (which has been plaguing the A-1 from the beginning). Thank you Doug, and all of you for the constant feedback/nagging/patience."

I never use the SRc scan function because I use a frequency analyzer for scanning, but it is interesting to learn about this discovery and planned fix. 
Does this only affect "SmartTune" or the "Scan" function as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

Does this only affect "SmartTune" or the "Scan" function as well?

The Scan function is where the bug is.  However, SmartTune  uses the results of the bad scan. Therefore, both can be 9 MHz off. Until your units are reprogrammed, use an external scan or check the RF level of single frequencies on the display.

Best,

LEF

Does this effect B2 SRc's?

Also, adding another problem to the list, I have recently purchased a B2 and have found that when in my 688/SL6, the SRc scan does not show up on the 688 screen, (see picture), but looking at the receiver screen you can see the scan is happening, and now, is it correct? There are a couple of other tuning issues which also don't work from the 688, but most other non-tuning functions appear to work. I have placed my receiver in other peoples 688/SL6 with the same results, but I have also put a B1 SRc into my rig, and all functions worked perfectly from the 688, thus proving this is B2 problem.

I have had some dialogue with Sound Devices who said it was a Lectrosonics problem, and my dealer spoke to Lectrosonics who said it was a Sound Devices problem, so no surprises there, but recently according to my dealer it does look as if Sound Devices have taken this on and as this started in December last year when I bought the receiver, I had hoped the recent 688 firmware update which I appreciate was primarily for the Audio Ltd A10 system would also address this problem with the SRc. Well it hasn't included a fix for the B2 SRc and in fact looking at what the new firmware, (4.52), does, even the A10 does not scan from the 688.

Dudley

LectroSRcScan (FILEminimizer).jpg

14 minutes ago, dudsound said:

Does this effect B2 SRc's?

A1 only. The fault is that block 18, if it existed, would start at 460.8 MHz (25.6 MHz times 18). However, the bottom of the legal spectrum is 470 MHz, known as block 470. Notice that there is 9.2 MHz difference between the bottom of the non existent block 18 and the 470 MHz bottom of block 470. This where the 9.2 MHz error came up. This problem of a non-mathematical block doesn't exist in B1, etc. So, A1 only has this problem.

As far as your other problems with B2, I can only suggest that speaking directly with Lectro about a weird problem is roughly 103 times better than going through a dealer. Too much gets lost in translation. Like the venerable kids' game of "gossip". The seven hour offset is a bit of a problem, but setting up a time by email should work. So will an info dump by email. If necessary, service can and will get you to an engineer. (I despise 180 degree finger pointing).

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

The issue with the Sound Devices 688 is related to their recent firmware release.  They contacted us and our engineering department has spent considerable time checking and it has been narrowed down to a firmware glitch in the 688.  We are sending SD a current unit so they can chase down their bug. 

Our bug has nothing to do with their bug.  They aren't even the same species, so we don't have to worry about  cross breeding and getting a new bug.   

In short, their firmware issue is unrelated to our firmware issue.   (what I would like to know is what exactly is "firm" about firmware......)

Remember, the scan bug is ONLY on the A1 band units.  

12 minutes ago, codyman said:

At this point, looks like it might be wise to invest in that new Lectro SRUSB plate to do your own firmware updates rather than paying for shipping/insurance + downtime to get the factory to update the firmware.

The plate will be provided free of charge for a week or so, if you don't want to purchase one. Update the unit, send the plate back and we will loan it to the next customer. Easy on you, easy on us. Lectro will request a credit card number to make sure they get the plate back so they can use it again.

Best,

LEF

8 minutes ago, LarryF said:

The plate will be provided free of charge for a week or so, if you don't want to purchase one. Update the unit, send the plate back and we will loan it to the next customer. Easy on you, easy on us. Lectro will request a credit card number to make sure they get the plate back so they can use it again.

Best,

LEF

Very cool!

We have 50 plates in the works right now - as soon as they clear production, we will start the loaner pool and organize the loan program.  I'v even hired a person for customer service to handle this (plus the boards swap and block changes).   We will post everywhere we can think of when all the ducks are properly aligned and start sending them out. 

You will get the endplate, a return shipping label, a piece of shipping tape and a reusable box. 

After you have reprogrammed your units, you will simply rebox the unit, use the tape to seal up the box, realize that you just sealed in the shipping label, open the box again, take out the shipping label, spend two hours looking for another price of tape to seal the box back, slap on the label, notice that you have now left the endplate sitting on the counter because the label was under it in the box, re-open the box, return the endplate to the interior, tape it up for the third time and ship it back to us. 

Or, if you don't want to do it the way I probably would, take the shipping label out first, pack the endplate,  tape up the box, then slap the label on and ship it. 

Whichever is easier............

2 hours ago, dudsound said:

Many thanks Larry & Gordon for your swift replies and for the dialogue with Sound Devices.

Dudley

They are good folks - we like working with them 

59 minutes ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

After you have reprogrammed your units, you will simply rebox the unit, use the tape to seal up the box, realize that you just sealed in the shipping label, open the box again, take out the shipping label, spend two hours looking for another price of tape to seal the box back, slap on the label, notice that you have now left the endplate sitting on the counter because the label was under it in the box, re-open the box, return the endplate to the interior, tape it up for the third time and ship it back to us. 

Only the engineers, who will be furiously concentrating on getting the tape and labels stuck on, perfectly aligned.

LEF

• 2 weeks later...

The SRC-A1 firmware upgrade is available on our website

http://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/category/104-src.html

Version 1.18 fixes the 9.2Mhz offset.

A group of mixers in St. Louis indicated they were going to have an update party to update all of theirs at once - that's a great idea.   I might even pay for the pizza!

A group of mixers in St. Louis indicated they were going to have an update party to update all of theirs at once - that's a great idea.   I might even pay for the pizza!

With this update, is there any added benefit to getting the units re-boarded?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

With this update, is there any added benefit to getting the units re-boarded?

No, the SRC-A1 (unless it is a VERY low Serial number) has updated RF boards already  -  I'll check the serial # sequence with Production and let you know.  But we caught those issues way back after the first hundred units shipped (the walkie issue).  A1 is RF solid now (except for the scanner and smart tune issue).  B1 and C1 are different board revisions and the fix for those is in - beta testers are happy.  We are waiting for the new boards to arrive. Once they are here, we will mount the components on the boards, calibrate and test and then announce the process for getting those of you with irritating B1's and C1's updated.  The issue there seems to be a threshold thing - most folks have been happy (especially the B1's - C1's have a higher incident rate) and some have been miserable.  Regardless, we will take care of you. 

6 hours ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

Is lectro mailing the aes bottomplates to people individually? Or would it be possible to send one to trew audio here in Vancouver different people in the community can access. 

12 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Is lectro mailing the aes bottomplates to people individually? Or would it be possible to send one to trew audio here in Vancouver different people in the community can access. 

Yes, we will send to indiviudals - Have you checked with Trew to see if they don't already have one?  

• 2 weeks later...

Just found another little niggle regarding my B2 SRc working with the SL6/688.

I was testing out the battery life of my SSM's with the Lectro battery and a third party battery, (EXpro), supplied as spares by my dealer. I found setting the battery chemistry on the SRc to AAL gave me good early indications of the tx battery gradually going down, and then about a ten minute warning of ultimate failure when the tx battery symbol on the SRc starts to flash. Unfortunately when looking at the tx battery indicator on the 688 display, the tx battery symbol showed 100% all the time including at the point when the SRc tx battery indicator was flashing, (and the battery LED on the SSM was flashing red).

Hopefully this is just another firmware tweak for the SL6/688 along with sorting the scanning issue between the SRc and the mixer.

Incidentally, the SSM managed 6 hours with the Lectro branded battery, and 5 hours with the EXpro branded battery. (50mw).

Dudley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Millar!

We are expecting the bare circuit boards to arrive this week.  It will take a few weeks to populate them in surface mount, run them through test and make sure the new boards behave as well as the betas that are out circulating now in the wild.   Once they are considered good to go, we will announce and start scheduling board replacements for anyone having difficulties.  We are almost there - sorry it has taken so long but we had to get it right.  We ended up with a complete redesign of the RF boards.   So, stay tuned just a bit longer - the fix is in and we will be taking service soon.  Those of you who have units in house waiting for the new boards, the long wait is almost over.   

Gordon

Thanks for the update Gordon. I have another question if you're still out there. Would there be any benefit to running an inline filter similar to the pf-25 or the bandpass filters that rf venue makes before the SRc receiver to further cut down the unwanted rf in that 450 mhz zone or up in the 600's when the cellular towers start to function? I can't seem to find one out there that covers the B1 range of 537-614 but I was curious anyhow.

Thanks