jonathan chiles

Lectro SRc field reports?

Weird question but hang in there with me... Did you by chance have any G3 RECEIVERS switched off hanging off the side of your bag when you noticed these RF hits?

I've found that having a powered-off G3 IEM receiver sitting next to hops transmitters wreaks havoc with my Lectro receivers. Will create spikes all across the block. When you remove the G3 receivers from the bag and get them a few feet away or even just turn them on all the troubles go away. Totally bizarre.

That is whacky. I'm gonna test that

13 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Weird question but hang in there with me... Did you by chance have any G3 RECEIVERS switched off hanging off the side of your bag when you noticed these RF hits?

I've found that having a powered-off G3 IEM receiver sitting next to hops transmitters wreaks havoc with my Lectro receivers. Will create spikes all across the block. When you remove the G3 receivers from the bag and get them a few feet away or even just turn them on all the troubles go away. Totally bizarre.

4 hours ago, Derek H said:

That's weird! 

I didn't have any in the bag. Only scripty and dir had receivers, they were on and in their pockets. 

I thought I chime in with an eMail I got from Lectros Service Manager in September, after having my SRc-C1 send in.

"We have a pending change to the circuit board of the SRC-C1 to improve the exact problem that you have been experiencing.  The issue is that the new wideband units, with the wider tuning range, have been more susceptible to outside interference – outside the tuning band of the unit.

When your SRC was here last month, the scan settings were off and were adjusted, however that did not address your entire problem.  This new PCB will have much better protection against this interference which causes symptoms of short range, bad scans, etc.  However, we do not have the final release of these improved PCBs from our engineering department yet.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a firm ETA from them either. "

I recently asked for an update on the case

"No updates as of yet.  This is a top priority in our engineering dept and we hope to have them soon.  However, we want to make sure the update it is optimal with thorough testing before releasing it.

I have you on my list to contact as soon as we have them available to make the repair."

So they are on it. Hopefully they have the new boards soon...

Cheers

On 12/5/2017 at 6:31 AM, Derek H said:

Very very very strange, why on earth would powered off devices have any impact whatsoever?!?!

So after another day of poor performance, I went ahead and emailed Lectro the following....

Hi there, 

Long time Lectro user here, have had the pleasure of meeting Karl at various events too!

I have owned an SRC and SMDWB in A1 since the beginning of November, purchased at Trew Audio in Los Angeles (wasn't able to get a second transmitter for it, since they're out of stock everywhere!). Sadly, over the several jobs I've used this combo on, I've noticed significantly worse performance than my SRB/SMQV (Block 21). 

By comparison to the latter, both running at 100mW, I get worse range and a lot more hits/noise. I've also noticed that any loss of line of sight can result in interference. As well as being close to certain cameras, like the Sony FS7. Again, by comparison, the SRB/SMQV channels will be clear as a bell in all these scenarios (even when there appears to be LESS activity on the SRC's scanned frequency). 

Is it possible I have a defective SRC or SMDWB? I would have thought that, with a tracking front end filter, there would be BETTER performance. 

The other contents of my sound bag, for reference, 

Sound Devices 788t / CL8
SRB
AudioRoot Power Distro
Sennheiser G3 Tx in band B (so 100mhz+ away from the SRC in A1 and these performance issues happen regardless of whether or not the G3 is on)
Using DPA4060 and Slim lavs. 

I'd like to go ahead and purchase another windeband transmitter soon (SMWB), but really need to have these performance issues fixed first. Let me know if I should the receiver/transmitter/both in or what the best plan of action is. 

all the best, James

The problems with SRC seem never ending..ive been waiting to purchase SRC's  in uk but like others i know  ive been put off and holding off by all the reported ongoing problems with SRC in various forums..

Very very very strange, why on earth would powered off devices have any impact whatsoever?!?!

I have found some devices that go into a bizarre “sleep mode” when powered off. You would think that there would be no power at all, and no emissions, but that doesn’t always seem to be the case. Not sure if the G3 system is one of these (I have never used one), but might be worth talking to Sennheiser ((assuming you can find somebody there these days that actually knows engineering details).

-Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone having a problem with a flickering backlight on their SRc?  My SRc just got back from the shop a month ago and now it's intermittently "flashing" the backlight.  It seems the backlight will dim / shut off randomly then come back on, but then be fine for an hour or so before doing it again.

14 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

I have found some devices that go into a bizarre “sleep mode” when powered off. You would think that there would be no power at all, and no emissions, but that doesn’t always seem to be the case. Not sure if the G3 system is one of these (I have never used one), but might be worth talking to Sennheiser ((assuming you can find somebody there these days that actually knows engineering details).

Yes, would be interesting to see if physically removing the batteries (or not) makes a difference.