Choice of recorder

svenmoose

Hi,

First post!

I'm looking into buying a recorder over the next few days as i seem to be involved in so much unpaid work at the moment I can't be dealing with borrowing and hiring a recorder every day. I was looking at the Edirol R44, which doesnt look too bad, but the preamps are bound to be noisey, so i'd need to buy a decent mixer as well i guess. I started looking around at DAT machines like the Fostex PD4, which seems to have an excellent raport with recordists, and DAT machines seem to be going for silly prices, do these machines make much noise as they are mechanical and do they sound good with mics direct? I'm really trying to stay below £500 sterling, having 3 or 4 channels is definately a must, does anyone have any suggestions or advice they might be able to give?

All the best,

Nick

I went through this pain a couple of years ago, started with a PMD660 then up to a Fostex FR2 for while then settled on a Sound Devices 702T. I work on no-pay type drama gigs and only do boom (no wireless unless they hire the kit for me). They're always more than happy when I turn in M/S recordings done with a BP4029 cos that also gives them a cheap-ass stereo image (keeping the stereo image axis centred with camera is what keeps me awake during most of these shoots).

I'd say whatever you bought for £500 you'd soon outgrow it, especially if you want more than 2 channels.

If I could afford it, my next recorder would be a Nagra 6 (I'm sentimental like that) but the 702T with it's 32GB CF card has been doing a great job and it's the recorder I should have bought in the first place.

EDIT: I do have a Sound Devices 302 mixer, too, but rarely use it. I'm usually able to persuade people the benefits of double-system and record straight to the 702T.

If you are going to spend some money but not enough for a Sound devices ecorder, i would suggest purchasing something that you will use later like a Sound interface for your computer.  You could use it for now as a recorder on set and later it would be great as an editing tool.  If not an option, then simply borrow, steal or print money in order to get the right tool instead of spending on half solution.  SOund devices 744t is the norm.  Edirol R44 is not so bad but you will be changing it for a 744t soon after.

Pascal

Hi,

First post!

I'm looking into buying a recorder over the next few days as i seem to be involved in so much unpaid work at the moment I can't be dealing with borrowing and hiring a recorder every day. I was looking at the Edirol R44, which doesnt look too bad, but the preamps are bound to be noisey, so i'd need to buy a decent mixer as well i guess. I started looking around at DAT machines like the Fostex PD4, which seems to have an excellent raport with recordists, and DAT machines seem to be going for silly prices, do these machines make much noise as they are mechanical and do they sound good with mics direct? I'm really trying to stay below £500 sterling, having 3 or 4 channels is definately a must, does anyone have any suggestions or advice they might be able to give?

All the best,

Nick

Nick,

The problem w/PD-4's- they are not manufactored anymore.  thats why you see them so cheap. mixers & vendors are trying to get rid of them while they can, kind of like what happened with the nagra a few years back.

your best bet is probably a computer based setup. check out the Boom Recorder or if you want to have the option of going "mobile", go for the SD-7 series recorders.

Gg-Luck

I started looking around at DAT machines like the Fostex PD4, which seems to have an excellent raport with recordists, and DAT machines seem to be going for silly prices

Nick

Do NOT buy a DAT machine! DAT is virtually a dead format. There are so many other low cost alternatives for recording these days. All of the suggestions above are good but each of the recorders that are below something like the Sound Devices 7 series or the Fostex FR-2 will pose certain challenges when using them in a professional environment. If these are really NO pay jobs then I guess I am using the word "professional" with reservation.

Do NOT buy a DAT machine! DAT is virtually a dead format. There are so many other low cost alternatives for recording these days. All of the suggestions above are good but each of the recorders that are below something like the Sound Devices 7 series or the Fostex FR-2 will pose certain challenges when using them in a professional environment. If these are really NO pay jobs then I guess I am using the word "professional" with reservation.

what was the shirt jeff?  "don't do dat - do disk"

The best 2 track w/ TC for the money (in my opinion): 702T--a really amazingly deep machine for $2500.  A Tascam HDP2 is a good alternative for a lot less than half the price of the 702T, but has compromises that you have to work around in nearly every aspect by comparison.  If you need more than 2 tracks, the cheapest deal is to buy one of dozens of inexpensive firewire-type interfaces used (I like MOTU Travelers) and use your computer.  Portable but not wearable--but cheap and lots of tracks. Many recordists who want multitrack but don't need more than 8 tracks normally get SD 788Ts--even deeper features than the 702T (besides more tracks) while only slightly bigger.  From there you move up into the more expensive iron like DEVA and Cantar etc: at that level it is about whose features, style, ergonomics, workflow etc you like.  Meanwhile, back at the 702T, that recorder may not have the style of my Nagras, but it has become my all time fave anymore.  (I've had A LOT or recorders....)

Philip Perkins

Hey, thanks for the input guys, i might well take out deferred payment on a sound devices 744t, it does look like the recorder to have. Does anyone have any input or experience on/with the Fostex PD6? I know they discontinued these and it uses weird little dvd's but it does have 6 tracks and fostex pres are supposed to be pretty reasonable right?

The PD6 is a good solid machine,  I have had one for years, never had any problems, never used the little discs.  I record to full size DVD-RAM discs when I decide to use that machine...

This is NOT an optimal machine for any Over the shoulder work, Let's be clear.  It is a cart based recorder.   If you don't mind BIG, and you can get the EX-12 Hard drive and DVD-RAM burner combo for a great price, OK,  If not,  than the advice by others on the Sound devices decks is good advice. They are small and worthy...  But a few grand might be more than you want to spend..

Advice on using a laptop with a MOTU traveler, and boom recorder is also great advice to get you up and running, but as said, you better be sitting down to do it...

If you can find a used Fostex FR-2 for about $1000.00  with time code, not a bad option to get up and running...  It is a functional machine that does do the job as well... and you can either sit down with it or run and gun...

Hey Nick, I wish your 1st post was to 'Who I am today'. That way everyone could know a little about you and your experience level and the type of work you do. This would be a fine 2nd post but it could of had more info. What is your market? Your country? Mostly the type of work you do would be useful. All the advice you received was good on some level, but it could be better with more knowledge of what you do. Well maybe not about the T Shirts. A stand alone portable recorder is a major investment that you shouldn't compromise on. Rent until you know what you need and save your $$$$$ for the day you can buy is my advice at this point in time.

CrewC

Hey hey,

At the moment, I'm in the last four or five months of a broadcast degree (sound design). Currently i've got 2 animations to post produce and want to avoid using library sounds so i'll be doing alot of field recording (its nice to have that artisan quality if you have the time :) ), I'm sound recordist on a documentary on homelessness in the UK (probably just boom and maybe a lav), i'm sound recordist on 2 dramas (Seem to be alternating between 2 radio lavaliers, 1 wired lavalier and a 416) and I'm supposed to be directing a live performance and it would be nice to plug something into the desk. When I leave I would like to be able to work between post and location and it seems that recordists that have their own kit seem to get better jobs. I'm also working on travelling for 6 months with a camera op buddy of mine and a presenter, making a comedy road trip doc. I think whatever i decide to do, a decent recorder would be invaluable. One of my friends from Uni put me onto this forum, its great, there really dont seem to be many places for sound that compare.

Nick