The subject of "Grace"

pshap

Hey Guys,

On a shoot yesterday, when our scheduled lunch time hit "Grace" was called to do one more shot before breaking. At the end of the day, as typically happens with small budget shoots, chaos started to happen and communication fell apart.

Just before the scheduled wrap time, the line producer came over to me and asked me what time I needed to be out and what calling "Grace" meant. She wanted to make sure that she did not have to pay any overtime.....

Comments?

pshap

(You all rock... hard... Audio Rules on set....)

Everything RVD says is pretty much on the mark. I am struck by the fact that the line producer was asking YOU what "grace" means and whether there will be any overtime. The producer should know the contract and if it was a non-union gig there is no reason to be calling grace or even asking questions about it. The period that RVD was referring to that is longer than the 12 minute grace period is called an "Extension" and it is 30 minutes --- in which time you can shoot anything you want. At the end of the 30 minutes, though, you MUST break. Neither grace nor the extension has any bearing on when overtime begins --- this is a function of the language in the contract. It should also be noted that both "Grace" and "Extension" are often mis-understood or even abused with the full knowledge that the confusion will allow the producer to abuse the provision. I was on a job where thew AD called "Grace" and then 15 minutes later called for an "Extension" and then after several new setups and shooting for an hour or more, asked if the crew would like to vote on "French Hours." Amazing.

-  Jeff Wexler

In the News/Broadcast world, the producer says "we have to catch a flight".  Then you eat 14 hours later!  Just remember that it could always be worse.  I had a first AD call that on a reality show once, and everyone laughed and went to lunch, being non union and the rate was for 12 hour days.

But seriously thank you guys for defining and clarifying that term(s) and the amount of time that each one incurs for us primarily ENG type guys. 

Rob

I hate to again be the voice of challenge, but it is exactly the opposite of what most people think.  The 12 minute grace is for the "efficiency of the company" and can be used for any reason, although it cannot be scheduled or used daily.  The camera can move, lenses can be changed, etc.  The 30 minute extension is rarely used, but is designed to finish a shot in progress.  If you could do whatever you wanted in a 30 minute extension, it'd be used all the time.  The extension was written into the contract to allow completion of a difficult setup, and to allow the crew time to "make it safe" bringing down condors, etc.  I have never been on set when the extension is used for this purpose, but I have been on set with it used to complete a setup in progress.  If the 30 minutes or the 12 minute grace is exceeded, then penalties are paid from the time lunch should have been called.

To answer pshap's question, grace has nothing to do with overtime.  If you wrap 6 hours after lunch, the producers have a 30 minute extension to allow for time to wrap.  Once again, if this time is exceeded, then penalties are paid from the 6 hour time period.

Robert

Robert is right on this one. It seems that almost everyone gets it wrong, including production, most of the time. Grace and Extension seem to be contract issues that need much better explanation. Another correction is that the boom operator and utility person go into overtime after 8 hours assuming you work 40 hours in a five day week. Otherwise overtime starts after 9 hours the same as the mixer. If you check, overtime for boom and utility is based on time and a half after 40 hours.

Another thing that needs to get fixed...

If a mixer is on a distant location, and on a weekly, production can get away with paying straight time for 54 hours.  This is because there is language in one section of the contract that a weekly guarantee constitutes 6 days.  The guarantee is for 9 hours per day.  But several pages later, the contract allows for idle 6th and 7th days, but fails to exclude if a mixer is on a weekly.  So if you are on a 5 day week, you are working almost 11 hours a day at straight time.

Robert

In the News/Broadcast world, the producer says "we have to catch a flight".  Then you eat 14 hours later!  Just remember that it could always be worse.  I had a first AD call that on a reality show once, and everyone laughed and went to lunch, being non union and the rate was for 12 hour days.

But seriously thank you guys for defining and clarifying that term(s) and the amount of time that each one incurs for us primarily ENG type guys. 

Rob

Rob,

I was not a 1st on reality shows. but on many non-union idies, it is out of respect to the crew to call grace. even though everyone is on a"flat day rate" . gotta feed the crew. if you don't, they will do what happened on your shoot, laughing and lunch.

It is a testament to how much these little accommodations for production, grace, extension, are mis-understood --- there have been several explanations here and most of them differ in either small or large ways. Don and Robert are saying that in grace period you can do anything you want, it is not just to complete a shot --- I really don't think this is the case. Also, the reason extensions (the 30 minute kind) is not called all the time again relates to some contractual language that prevents them from using it all the time. I don't know why someone can't just look at the contract provisions and have it be totally clear. Well, I actually do know why and it is because we do not have a democratic union and it is in the best interests of those in power, both sides of the contract, to keep us all confused.

Bottom line, the correct and clear answer to the original question is, as most have pointed out, has no bearing on overtime payment.

- Jeff Wexler

This is off the 695 website and what I have understood the definitions of Grace and 30 min. Extensions to be.

There are two types of so-called Grace Periods. They cannot be used together.

The 30-minute “meal interval extension”.

A 30-minute meal interval extension can be called “only for wrapping up or to complete the camera takes(s) in progress, until print quality is achieved”.  At 31 minutes after the lunch break time the Producer is assessed 1 meal penalty and cannot use the 12 minute grace period. This type of grace period may not be scheduled or automatic.

The 12-minute grace period.

A 12-minute grace period can be called before a meal penalty goes into effect "for production efficiency," which means the Producer can use that time for anything they want. This type of grace period may not be scheduled or automatic.

NOTE:  Grace periods are not intended for everyday use and, as demonstrated by "past practice," are generally not used that way.  By "past practice," we mean that the contract language does not specifically address the issue but, nonetheless, it represents a standard that is commonly followed and should not be abused.  If a Producer is forcing you into grace period on a daily basis, please call the Local.  In almost all cases, when called to task, Producers will quickly relent on this issue.

Don Coufal

Most IA contracts have a half-hour grace after wrap.  In common practice, at least, this second meal grace is not just to complete a shot but to complete wrap.  If it takes longer than thirty minutes for a department to wrap, that department incurs meal penalties at applicable rate for that contract.  Rarely do AD's call out wrap grace, but the shop steward on my last feature demanded that they do so.

Tim

The only thing to add is that not everybody works under the same contract. I am a mixer in Local 481 in Boston and we only have the 12 minute grace, there is no extension in our contract. With our grace you have to already be in the shot , the lens cannot change and the camera cannot move. Again, there is no language in the contract that talks about the abuse of grace, it is just something that we keep an eye on and ask our Stewards to talk to production if it becomes an everyday event.

Tom

going back to Paul's OP, if this was not a union shoot, then the whole discussion is mute, as state labor laws specify meal intervals, and only a collective bargaining agreement (Federal jurisdiction) can supersede the State laws.

Also, In Rob's world of working in the ENG/EJ world of television networks, then each networks contracts or in the absence of a contract their policies will influence how meal breaks are handled...