rf interference

Reg

Recently I've been recording doc interviews on a velodrome-style track (outdoors), with the interviewee around 10m from camera, long lens for depth of field. I had the guy on a radio mic, but was getting strange rf hits whenever a group of track cyclists (5-6) came past me (around 2m away, but not cutting through shot). Problem solved when I moved to other side of camera. Just wondering if anyone has an idea  why this rf intereference would happen so much, to an extent that it's affecting my receiver? I had direct line of sight to the radio mic at all times. Anyone else had these issues when around group cyclists?

My issues with cyclists were usually around noisy cellphones, but not so much recently...

Perhaps there are transmitters on the riders bike sending power (and maybe other) data to a trackside coach running a session? Or just crappy wireless power meters on the bikes send data from the cranks or hubs up to the little computer on the bike...Those are usually at 2.4GHz, but perhaps older power meters have less controlled emissions?

And maybe comms from coach to riders... those used to be around 440MHz, about that may have changed...and again, maybe older units are spewing?

They were amateur youth cyclists so no data being logged and no comms sent to a coach on the side. That crank data transmitting to the small cpu on their handlebars could be an issue - not that I noticed they had any. I'll have a better look at the actual bikes next time I'm down there. Thanks for the suggestion

• 2 weeks later...