Headphone Switcher

JonG

I'm putting together a cart with an analog board in front of my recorder, and would like to find a headphone switcher (preferably rack mountable) where I can switch between the two sources without having to unplug my headphones and go between the mixer and recorder. 

Coleman Audio makes some nice ones, but they are AC powered. I'd love it to be passive since I don't need a built in amp, but I'll take DC powered. 

Is anyone using this sort of thing on their cart, or just unplugging their headphones to go between? Thx

5 minutes ago, Crussell said:

I have one of these in my bag for switching between two cameras' returns. It's high quality and has held up for some time now. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748807-REG

Yeah I have the Remote Audio return switcher as well. Was hoping for something like the Coleman Audio switchers but DC or passive. I don't want to have tiny things like that velcroed all over the place. 

You can roll your own very easily.  (Phillip Perkins)

Great minds think alike. I made a similar box so I might switch back and forth between my recorder and the mixing panel. My soldering skills are distinctly limited* but I was still able to put together a device that has served me for years.

David

* No fault of James Eric; my performance has improved considerably since taking his class. But I built this box prior to that instruction.

HeadphoneSwitch.jpg

My hand-rolled headphone switchbox, which velcroed to the side of a drawer on the cart. The angled stock of the cart frame served as a switch protector, the headphone connectors pointed down to keep them from collecting dirt and pigtails ran from the box to the board and recorder. A third source could be added via the return buss on the board, a Cooper 106+1. I ended up rebuilding the original, powdercoating it for durability's sake and replacing the original 3.5 mm input connectors with TA3's so they would stay connected.

JG

IMG_6342.jpg

recently stumbled across this thing. It is a 4 input switcher (with 4 headphone outputs) only about $30. Reviews say it is susceptible to ground loops, but shouldn't be much of a problem unless you are also feeding in hardwired camera returns 

71ahTQSXA2L._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/LINE5-Multi-channel-Headphone-Switcher-Amplifier/dp/B00HA11KFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477363348&sr=8-1&keywords=headphone+switch