MKH60 with MKH30

Csaba Major

• 1 month later...

I use a Mkh60 with Ambient emeser. I love it. Very wide stereo image and very detailed sound!!!
But the figure8 capsule is very sensitive for every movements! Not just the emeser, i think all of this type!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10811820d8f12572491441694e904ad7.jpg

15b4836d979440864664ab1ad2f9d16c.jpg

Hi,
Why do you keep the foam around the 60 inside the zeppelin ?

Don't know.... Why not...
:))

Don't know.... Why not...
[emoji4])

Seriously:

Becouse i use the boom inside, just release quickly the zeppelin. The foam is enough inside.

Seriously:

Becouse i use the boom inside, just release quickly the zeppelin. The foam is enough inside.

Interesting. Do you find that it impairs the performance of the wind protection at all? With the modular kits I have found that it doesn't work at all with the foam on.

• 2 weeks later...

But the cyclone is much better then earlyer rycote windshields!!

Maybe, but that wasn't my question. The foam changes the behaviour inside the basket and I was wondering if the bigger size of the Cyclone offsets this problem.
But it seems like you are fine with it?

How could it possibly negatively change it such that it makes it worse than the extra wind protection the foam provides?!

I think it reduces the volume of air inside the basket and may cause the mic to distort quicker and otherwise impair audio quality and the wind protection performance seems to be directly related to the amount of air around the mic. Look at Cinela or Cyclone. They are getting bigger and bigger. So, like I said, I have heard of and have had bad experiences with this kind of setup - inside a classic windshield and was interested in how it works inside the Cyclone

Maybe, but that wasn't my question. The foam changes the behaviour inside the basket and I was wondering if the bigger size of the Cyclone offsets this problem.
But it seems like you are fine with it?

Yes! My cyclone is MID size, and the mic with foam fits in the basket. Just like on my photo!

On 1/5/2017 at 5:16 AM, IronFilm said:

How could it possibly negatively change it such that it makes it worse than the extra wind protection the foam provides?!

It is a well known fact (or I was under the impression it was anyway) that the foam on the mic inside a cage (Rycote) reduces the effectiveness of the cage to reduce wind noise.

My local kit supplier has told me that Rycote themselves have stated this.

I used a foam on my CS3 inside a Rycote zep for many years. Had a 416 in another - same, same. Never noticed any colouration, or lessening of wind related distortion effectiveness.

Sure was easy to get off for indoors. Just take zep end cap off, undo 2 cap screws & slide mic out. Had cut out foam at mid point to

enable front cradle mount.

RS

A sound fellow used both MKH30, Schoeps and Ambient fig.8 mics for M/S and his conclusions where: Ambient is for budget restricted only. MKH30 (or Schoeps if with Schoeps already) will make a **whole** difference. Like having "black & white M/S" vs "color M/S". Well, you get the idea.

I'm very satisfied with my MKH50/MKH30 new config', bought last december.

As for foam, your preference.