Twirling720 VR Audio Recorder

AndyXAudio

Hey All!

Long time lurker first time poster here. Nice to finally speak up :) 

I’ve been looking into creating some spatial audio and VR content for a film concept I’ve got brewing and stumbled upon this mic: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/twirling720-vr-audio-recorder/reft/15242401#/bm-10  

Looks like Ambisonics and pretty similar to Sennheiser's Ambeo VR Mic ($1500), but at $499 this one seems quite affordable and a good start into exploring this field of audio recording.

Any opinions?  

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Aaron said:

it looks great!

Please clarify why it looks great to you. To me (a Soundfield owner) it looked from the site specs to be a combination of too ill-defined in its abilities and too restricted in its possibilities. The possibility front could be vastly expanded by allowing the unit to act as a four channel machine bypassing the WXYZ mic, thus being a decent rival for recorders in the tascam dr70 league. If it is indeed a rival for, say, a dr70 combined with a core sound tetra mic all well and good. I'd like a little more info on the mic specs. And the price is 'good and bad' - hard to think that both the capsules and the rest of the hardware will be great at that price, but unrealistic also to expect anything ok for less (indeed I can't think of three budget fig 8 mics to fit such a price).

Although perhaps with the repopularity of ambisonics coming through modern sports etc broadcasts and now VR embracing it, perhaps what has been a 70s geek chic area for so long might be breaking into the mainstream. I actually hope it's good but would have wished for a unit capable of more adaptability. Fair enough, I know my mics more from practice than published specs but know that the specs of those mics are correct. Paying $500 for a complete unknown is asking too much.

Jez

Perhaps Zoom will see an opportunity and release an update to the H6 with a WXYZ capsule (obviously not with the current H6 with two channel capsule input).

12 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Please clarify why it looks great to you. To me (a Soundfield owner) it looked from the site specs to be a combination of too ill-defined in its abilities and too restricted in its possibilities. The possibility front could be vastly expanded by allowing the unit to act as a four channel machine bypassing the WXYZ mic, thus being a decent rival for recorders in the tascam dr70 league. If it is indeed a rival for, say, a dr70 combined with a core sound tetra mic all well and good. I'd like a little more info on the mic specs. And the price is 'good and bad' - hard to think that both the capsules and the rest of the hardware will be great at that price, but unrealistic also to expect anything ok for less (indeed I can't think of three budget fig 8 mics to fit such a price).

Although perhaps with the repopularity of ambisonics coming through modern sports etc broadcasts and now VR embracing it, perhaps what has been a 70s geek chic area for so long might be breaking into the mainstream. I actually hope it's good but would have wished for a unit capable of more adaptability. Fair enough, I know my mics more from practice than published specs but know that the specs of those mics are correct. Paying $500 for a complete unknown is asking too much.

Jez

Perhaps Zoom will see an opportunity and release an update to the H6 with a WXYZ capsule (obviously not with the current H6 with two channel capsule input).

i am not sure how well this product works, but the sample they give sounds pretty good ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4xF0MUrZQY ).

33 minutes ago, Aaron said:

i am not sure how well this product works, but the sample they give sounds pretty good ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4xF0MUrZQY ).

That is the noisiest noise floor this side of a zoom recorder.  And at a $10,000 goal for an indiegogo campaign, there is no way they could manufacture something like that for less than 20x their goal at the very least.

Also, part of what makes the Soundfield so great, is the post processing.  The directionality was very limited when spinning that video around, whereas the Soundfield has a very pronounced ambisonic space.

10 hours ago, Jesse Flaitz said:

That is the noisiest noise floor this side of a zoom recorder.  And at a $10,000 goal for an indiegogo campaign, there is no way they could manufacture something like that for less than 20x their goal at the very least.

Also, part of what makes the Soundfield so great, is the post processing.  The directionality was very limited when spinning that video around, whereas the Soundfield has a very pronounced ambisonic space.

Thanks very much for the thorough analysis. I found some samples of Soundfield (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrEHdKxlNDQ )  and Sennheiser( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JptTJ2Ow5GE ). For these 360 videos, I do not feel that there is a big difference. These devices are quite expensive for a beginner like me :-)  ($3500 and  $1500, respectively).