New Mac Book Pro

AnuarYahya

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

Same here. I ordered one. It will replace my 2010 version, so pretty significant improvements overall.

As usual Apple are coming out with slow hardware to sale to people who buy the brand over what offers.

The 13th inch models have a dual core CPU. Hilarious...2Ghz... Other manufacturers don't even have 2Ghz. Maybe it was apple's choice to get a slow CPU to even further reduce the heat... 

And it is 6th generation... Do they know there is a 7th generation now???

The most expensive one has Radeon Pro 455 which scores on par with Nvidia GTX680m.

My 4 years old asus laptop has that GPU.

And only 2 gigs of video ram???

But to be honest this is the best GPU in a laptop vs other companies compared to what apple had before.

So if you don't care about speed and power you can really enjoy the mediocre hardware that Apple releases again and again.

This hardware cost $1300-$1400 in other manufacturers laptops. Apple's is $2799. As usual twice the cost.

And while Usb-C is cool it is unrealistic to think that nobody will need to plug an old school USB1.1 , 2 or 3 style connector. Oh wait... Buy an adapter....

1 hour ago, RadoStefanov said:

As usual Apple are coming out with slow hardware to sale to people who buy the brand over what offers.

The 13th inch models have a dual core CPU. Hilarious...2Ghz... Other manufacturers don't even have 2Ghz. Maybe it was apple's choice to get a slow CPU to even further reduce the heat... 

And it is 6th generation... Do they know there is a 7th generation now???

The most expensive one has Radeon Pro 455 which scores on par with Nvidia GTX680m.

My 4 years old asus laptop has that GPU.

And only 2 gigs of video ram???

But to be honest this is the best GPU in a laptop vs other companies compared to what apple had before.

So if you don't care about speed and power you can really enjoy the mediocre hardware that Apple releases again and again.

This hardware cost $1300-$1400 in other manufacturers laptops. Apple's is $2799. As usual twice the cost.

And while Usb-C is cool it is unrealistic to think that nobody will need to plug an old school USB1.1 , 2 or 3 style connector. Oh wait... Buy an adapter....

Yes, of course this would turn into a Mac vs PC jammer lol. Use whatever you want, and whatever fills your needs. I really don't care.

Build out any laptop with the same specs and it will not be anywhere near $1400.

7th generation (Kaby Lake) is available, yes but not the one suitable for laptop use (until next year).

8 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

Yes, of course this would turn into a Mac vs PC jammer lol. Use whatever you want, and whatever fills your needs. I really don't care.

Build out any laptop with the same specs and it will not be anywhere near $1400.

7th generation (Kaby Lake) is available, yes but not the one suitable for laptop use (until next year).

First Apple is a PC. And has been for 11 years when they realized their idiotic hardware design is not good and moved to PC architecture.

Second https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-Pro-UX501VW/ is $1499 with better design then apple. You can get cheaper ones that are not that thin and slick.

Third 7th generation Intel is already in laptops.  http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/catalog/laptops/all/7th-generation-intel-core-i7

7 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

Ok Rado. 

Again: get what is to your liking and suit your needs. I'm not trying to convince anyone. I don't sell computers.

If you want to save money, get a Chrome Book. I got the current Lenovo one for $149. Completely different purposes though.

I don't understand the chrome book example.

I just showed you an Asus PC that has the same or arguably better hardware then the most expansive MacBookPro for half the price.

Imagine if tomorrow sound devices sale the new 633 for $6400 twice the price... What would you say then?

I just want a little honesty from an apple user.

No shame in paying 100% more  "twice as much" for something if you like the brand.

Imagine if tomorrow sound devices sale the new 633 for $6400 twice the price... What would you say then?

But did Apple sell their Mac Book Pro for half of what they are charging now for the new one? I don't think so, but I don't remember.

I just showed you an Asus PC that has the same or arguably better hardware then the most expansive MacBookPro for half the price.

But can the Asus run MacOS?

PC stands for Personal Computer, so yes everything including our phones and tablets could be called this nowadays. But back in the old days, it was a nickname for Windows machines, and Apple's computers were nicknamed Mac.

For anyone who hasn't stabbed themselves in the eyes from excruciating boredom by now, and is for whatever reason still reading this;

My comment about the Chromebook came out of nowhere and maybe seemed weird, but point being that certain things work well for specific purposes. Suggesting that the Windows machines linked are "better" for less money is based on personal needs. Assuming the Chromebook fills all of one's needs, the same argument could be made that the Chromebook is "better", because it runs a better OS, is smaller, lighter, has twice the battery life and doesn't need a lot of expensive storage. Or whatever.
(actually it is pretty amazing what you get for 150 bucks - I am using it to type this - my longest and nerdiest post ever).

If anyone cares (I doubt it), I choose to buy the Mac at a price that could buy more than 20 of these Chromebooks, only because it fits my personal needs and preferences better than anything out there. It can do certain things that the Chromebook cannot do. Those are the exact same things the Windows machines cannot do either.

I'm not a "fan-boy" or "cool-aid" drinker (I prefer coffee, beer or whisky if anyone cares - besides, I'm too old and jaded), nor am I someone who buys "anything Apple puts out". I don't care about branding. I wish I could get stuff without logos.
I too smile when I hear the pretentious BS of Jony Ive in those overly dramatic design videos, but I also definitely appreciate the simplicity and amazing engineering beauty in many of their designs. 

It doesn't hurt when something looks good, but that would be meaningless if it didn't also have the functionality/productivity/durability. My current Macbook Pro has been a work horse for six years, has definitely paid for itself - and still works good for a lot of things, The battery still holds a charge for at least 6 hours.
I doubt this Chromebook will last anywhere near 6 years. (In fact I checked just now, and this model is listed as "Discontinued" LOL)

The internet is full of people arguing about politics, religion, Gibson vs Fender, Schoeps vs Sennheiser, Lectro vs Zax, Pro Tools vs Nuendo, Hyper cardioid vs Super cardioid, Alien vs Predator etc.  It's almost always boring, and probably almost never changes anyone's mind.  I think it's good to listen to all sides, then make up one's own mind, based on research and experience, and buy whatever seems like the best choice for one's own personal needs - or feel free to not buy (sounds crazy, I know). 

We are all  sound friends here, so let's go back sharing stories from our travels, the field and life, rather than this drivel-dravel about computer preferences hah!

Why am I still typing...? I need to go hang out with the wife and kids now.

Cheers!

Rado, the top-end new Macbook Pro GPU is not a 2GB 455, it's the Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory; sure there are better options, but that's not so bad. And that with a four-core i7 CPU is pretty decent for a well-built lightweight laptop. As for comparing prices of various brands of PCs that run different operating systems, so what. Lots of different brands of cars use gasoline. People prefer different brands for lots of reasons. But that's a discussion for a different thread and I don't want to take this thread any further off topic.

For me, the limiter on the new MBPs, since I need to work with video a lot, is the 16GB limit on RAM. That's looking like a deal killer, which is a bummer. And Apple's reported reason is kinda meh for a machine designed that could often be used when plugged in to an external power source and monitor (as with the interesting 27-inch LG monitor Apple showed):

Question from David: The lack of a 32GB BTO option for the new MBPs raised some eyebrows and caused some concerns (me included). Does ~3GBps bandwidth to the SSD make this a moot issue? I.e. memory paging on a 16GB system is so fast that 32GB is not a significant improvement? 

Schiller's answer: Thank you for the email. It is a good question. To put more than 16GB of fast RAM into a notebook design at this time would require a memory system that consumes much more power and wouldn't be efficient enough for a notebook. I hope you check out this new generation MacBook Pro, it really is an incredible system.

That exchange comes from here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/new-macbook-pros-no-32gb-ram-battery-life/

Dang.

Well, Apple probably did some testing with graphics and video editing folks, and it probably worked well enough I'd guess, esp if there are other reasons to go with the new machine.  For me the # of ports issue is kind of a deal, but prob not for most people.  DITs already have to use hubs in their transfer etc work on location, so no change for them in that regard.

I've been a mac user for a long long time, so obviously I'm biased because that's what I feel most comfortable with (as is everybody else) - I did work on windows and linux occasionally too.

that said, I'm quite disappointed that apple doesn't have a good tower, so I've built a hackintosh for heavy video work - not quite as trouble free as the real thing, but suits my needs at the moment.

the macbook pros are really good machines though, price might not be reasonable for everybody, but specially the high end machines are just a real pleasure to use. try to find an other model that has the same combination of speed, build quality, touchpad and keyboard, screen quality, weight and battery life - you won't. In fact there are quite a few people who buy a macbook pro and install windows or linux for professional work, because they prefer the apple hardware but still want their OS.

I tried the various routes one can take to run Win pgms on a MacBookPro I bought earlier this year, and while small lightweight pgms were ok I strongly felt that the rig was not combat ready for running heavier audio recording and editing apps that had to work in real time.  After some consultation with various IT pros I returned to a 2-laptop strategy, so the PC-only apps live on a PC laptop and the rest on the MacBook Pro.  That said, this means that the Mac is underutilized for how much it cost me, a bummer but a learning experience I guess.

I've been waiting since about the start of this year for a new MacBook Pro, my current Windows machine which I've had for a few years is still pretty quick (it was *very* fast when I first bought it), but has had a few physical issues. I've also had a few instances where I've had issues with files from OS X, so thought it was finally time to get one as the rest of the industry has them and I don't have compatibility issues. Like Philip, I've also got some windows only programs which I use for editing and that's slightly worrying to me

I'm mildly disappointed that running a dock is pretty much mandatory, although a few options for external pcie cards have appeared which may offer some solutions for me.

The price is also a kick in the teeth, we've not only got the increase on the base US price, but sterling's also 20% down on the dollar (this has also meant a rise in sound devices prices here)

I have a 2007 iMac in my office. Still works. Still accepts updates. Does everything I need at home. It cost twice what a PC would have at the time, but you can't tell me there's ANYONE using a 10-year-old PC in their house.

I'm currently typing this in my 3rd Apple laptop in 15 years. The second one was lost, so didn't fail.

I don't care about the fastest processor or VRAM or any of that stuff. I want to turn on my computer and use it with the least amount of fuss.

both really good alternatives and beautiful machines. Love the Razer keyboard tho, I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously.. 

I like the new mac book pros.. but I think its funny apple kept the headphone jack. I mean with all their talk that its an obsolete port and everything. I think it says a lot that the only port they decided to keep apart from the usb c's is the headphone jack. Enough said..