Sennheiser 8060/8070

KGraham045

I have both a 8060 and 8050. I'm interested in getting a long shotgun. I've had a couple recent situations where I felt like it would be beneficial. But I sorta question how much I'd actually use it.

For those of you that own a long shotgun how often do you really use it vs a short shotgun?

Anyone own both the 8060 and 8070? What's your experience?

I don't have any experience with the 8060, but I've used the 8070. It's an amazing mic!

I own a few different long shotguns and despite them being fairly unpopular these days (mostly due to weight and the advent of wireless), I think they are a fantastic tool and use them quite a lot. Infact I would venture to say that any mixer would be a fool not to have a 416 and a long shotgun. They are just so useful for so many applications. The 416 is just because it is a bulletproof workhorse and the ultimate backup mic. 

I'm a fool ;-)

I've never owned a long shotgun. What I can't get on an 8060 or 416 gets picked up in coverage (I exclusively do narrative work), or I use a radio. 

Short shotguns have great reach, and if environment is too noisy for one, it's too noisy for a long one too. 

But I've heard great things about 8070, if you have a dedicated boom op or can concentrate on booming 100%. You can't afford to "miss" when you're on a long mic. Not sure what kind of work you do, but I wouldn't recommend it while running around with a bag. 

@RPSharman I actually use an mkh70 fairly often when running around with a bag. In those instances getting a boom "in there" can be difficult, but having a mic that can really reach makes a huge difference. 

I understand where you are coming from and not seeing the need for a long shotgun. Your reasoning is a sign of the times for sure. It used to be very common practice to have a long shotgun alongside your regular shotgun. I do all kinds of work, and can always find a use for my long shotguns, and I find them to be a very advantageous tool for all kinds of applications. 

I own both MKH 8060 and 8070. Normally I'd say the 8060's reach is amazing and the 8070's coverage is done by the wireless. But we did a run and chase scene last week and the 8070 covered all of it. Shouting, breathing, running  footsteps, anything within 30 meters range was there, usable for wide and tight angle.

12 hours ago, Constantin said:

What is it in your opinion that makes the 70 more practical than the 8070?

The low cut perhaps? As with other owners here of the old and new models of MKH my hope for 2017 is yet again a 'dialogue module' with fixed extreme cut, variable cut above that (such as the CUT 1/2) and why not a switchable pad whilst we're at it?

It will I expect also be my hope for 2018, 2019, 2020 ...

j

I have been thinking about getting the 8070 for a while. It would be a great tool for when laving somebody is not possible.

The MKH8070 has one great advantage over the MKH70 -  the ability to become AES42 mic.

The MKH80X0 mics " I have 1 8060 and 4 8040s" are the best and most reliable mics I have ever used. They work 100% of the time.

No RF or humidity issues.

I think, you can only get the profit from long shotgun when you have a good boom operator, otherwise it will be even worth then short shotgun. Only from my experience (I have only used Neumann 82i and Sennheiser MKH70 once), for bag works, SANKEN CS3e is a better option..

But sure, if you have a super boom man, 8070 would be a beautiful mic and can save life in some situation..

I haven't used an 8070 but my 8060 rarely lets me down in terms of "reach".  Even things that are "distant" still usually sound quite usable, especially when on a documentary shoot.  Hell, even on the good ol' multi-cam camera department favorite of "wide and tight", the 8060 has saved my butt on many occasions.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A little off topic but I want to get a Softie for my 8060. I know rycote says 12cm but I remember someone on here saying that the 10cm works better. Rycote seems to suggest the next size up at least with modular windshield and have always gone 1 step lower. But a Softie.for the 8060 10 or 12 cm. Using with the inv7hgII

Thanks.