Sportscaster headsets

Werner Althaus

I know this question may be outside of the regularly posted topics but I'll try anyway...

I need to buy some replacement sportscaster headsets. We still have a set of  three Sennheiser hmd-25 (discontinued) that are a favorite with everybody, engineers, talent, etc. I've tried Beyer DT297s and they are okay but talent hates them, so we've gone back to using our old set of hmd-25s. Sennheiser is currently offering the hmd 26 v2, but A1's hate them for many reasons. I went to NAB in 2015 and Shure was announcing the BRH50M. The prototype looked and sounded good, a viable alternative but they never went into production. What should I buy to replace the old 25's?

Thanks

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:33 PM, Constantin said:

I take it the Coles lip mic is not an option?
Coles also make a miniature noise cancelling ribbon mic, which can be mounted on a boom on the headphones. I don't know it, but it could work well.

I have used  a few different contraptions over the years in addition to the regular Sennheiser HMD 25's and Beyer DT 297's (Crown CM 311 mounted to Sony 7506 Headphones comes to mind) and they sounded great BUT talent and producers hated them. There is a reason the 25's are so popular and I can't , for the life of me, figure out why Sennheiser didn't improve on them. Instead we have the 26V2 which many A1's hate but use reluctantly. Try finding a couple of sets of used 25's, it's impossible, at least around here.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:59 PM, Mobilemike said:

I'm curious why A1's hate the HMD-26. No pony in the race here - I've never used either the 25 or 26 - just curious for learning's sake. 

-Mike

I can't speak for the industry as a whole but the unnecessary features like muting the mic when the boom moves out of the way, the circuitry that limits headphone volume and the positioning of the mic and it's response come to mind. The boom arm on the 25 lets you position the mic off to the side right outside of the plosive range. The mic on the 25 needs a bit of EQ (mostly low end) but it works and sounds great. Getting it into the correct position is a breeze since the boom slides through the pivot point at the headphone cup. The 26 boom places the mic further out front in front of the mouth and relying only on the foam to cut plosives does not work too well. The Beyer DT297 has the same problem, it's a superior sounding mic but placement is a problem. The 25 is pretty much perfect and the design should have been left alone.

Shure showed this at NAB 2015 but it hasn't shipped as of yet. I thought it was great but I can't buy it.

content_brh.jpg