Schoeps MiniCMIT

VASI

I am shooting a new Netflix series at the moment and had the opportunity to test drive a pre-release version of the new Schoeps MiniCMIT. Here are my findings:

very small, very lightweight. It´s that small, there even isn´t a dedicated suspension available right now. I used a Rycote one for Schoeps CCM mic and changed the lyres (see pics). It works very well. Even when mounted as plant in a pic-car on a trailer.
I had a CCM41 on the sunvisor and the MiniCMIT from down below. Couldn´t decide which sounded nicer. CCM41 very natural, MiniCMIT got this additional punch I like so much on the CMIT5U.

The built in low cut (70Hz, 24dB/oct) is perfect for dialog recording on a boom pole. When used with a mini-XLR connector one could have the mic just below the ceiling. Might make it possible to boom where one would have changed to a different mic (CCM). Now you can keep the punchy sound of the CMIT throughout a scene.

There is no high-boost nor proximity low cut as found on the CMIT5U. That´s the trade off for making the MiniCMIT - mini.
For me that´s the main reason to keep the CMIT5U as my main mic and I´m happy that Schoeps decided not to replace the 5U by the Mini but make it a 3rd member of the CMIT family. I do use the high boost quite often in difficult locations when I need that extra bit of speech intelligibility. Even the low cut at 400Hz (prox effect) gets used sometimes when fighting some nasty reflections in the corner of a room.

Since my boom mic is 99% used with a Zaxcom TRX742 that´s what I tested the MiniCMIT with too. There is the same tone and noise floor as with my CMIT5U.
My TRX742 is always at the top of the pole next to the mic. Since I was fighting RFI for a long time I now know that EMC connectors by Neutrik are needed to reduce the noise. That´s still the same with the MiniCMIT. When used in the Rycote Cyclone with no EMC connectors I would get some RFI that would go away when touching the antenna. Same mic used in my trusted Cinela suspension with EMC connectors - no RFI.

In short:

MiniCMIT is just as good as the trusted CMIT5U but in a very small size.
If you are used to the high boost / prox filter then keep the 5U too.

1607.jpg

1 hour ago, Matthias Richter said:

I am shooting a new Netflix series at the moment and had the opportunity to test drive a pre-release version of the new Schoeps MiniCMIT. Here are my findings:

very small, very lightweight. It´s that small, there even isn´t a dedicated suspension available right now. I used a Rycote one for Schoeps CCM mic and changed the lyres (see pics). It works very well. Even when mounted as plant in a pic-car on a trailer.
I had a CCM41 on the sunvisor and the MiniCMIT from down below. Couldn´t decide which sounded nicer. CCM41 very natural, MiniCMIT got this additional punch I like so much on the CMIT5U.

The built in low cut (70Hz, 24dB/oct) is perfect for dialog recording on a boom pole. When used with a mini-XLR connector one could have the mic just below the ceiling. Might make it possible to boom where one would have changed to a different mic (CCM). Now you can keep the punchy sound of the CMIT throughout a scene.

There is no high-boost nor proximity low cut as found on the CMIT5U. That´s the trade off for making the MiniCMIT - mini.
For me that´s the main reason to keep the CMIT5U as my main mic and I´m happy that Schoeps decided not to replace the 5U by the Mini but make it a 3rd member of the CMIT family. I do use the high boost quite often in difficult locations when I need that extra bit of speech intelligibility. Even the low cut at 400Hz (prox effect) gets used sometimes when fighting some nasty reflections in the corner of a room.

Since my boom mic is 99% used with a Zaxcom TRX742 that´s what I tested the MiniCMIT with too. There is the same tone and noise floor as with my CMIT5U.
My TRX742 is always at the top of the pole next to the mic. Since I was fighting RFI for a long time I now know that EMC connectors by Neutrik are needed to reduce the noise. That´s still the same with the MiniCMIT. When used in the Rycote Cyclone with no EMC connectors I would get some RFI that would go away when touching the antenna. Same mic used in my trusted Cinela suspension with EMC connectors - no RFI.

In short:

MiniCMIT is just as good as the trusted CMIT5U but in a very small size.
If you are used to the high boost / prox filter then keep the 5U too.

1607.jpg

Hi Matthias,

Try the harder gray rycote lyres especially if you put the heavier softie.

The RF issues are what keeps me away from using Schoeps. I only take them out if they are requested.

Sennheiser MKH never have issues and DPA 401X have issues once in a blue moon.

21 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

22 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Hi Matthias,

Try the harder gray rycote lyres especially if you put the heavier softie.

The RF issues are what keeps me away from using Schoeps. I only take them out if they are requested.

Sennheiser MKH never have issues and DPA 401X have issues once in a blue moon.

Hi Rado what do these RF issues sound like with schoeps? I use a cmit 5u and cmc 641 with trx 742 and 743 as my main set up and don't have any RF issues

Tony

25 minutes ago, Tony Johnson said:

Hi Rado what do these RF issues sound like with schoeps? I use a cmit 5u and cmc 641 with trx 742 and 743 as my main set up and don't have any RF issues

Tony

One of the most common one is Zaxnet or video monitoring systems 2.4ghz whine even when using a cable. Odd enough the SuperCmit does not have it which led me to believe it is the analog circuitry to blame. That is why I asked Matthias about RF issues. I was hoping the new smaller mic will be more RF proof. 

12 minutes ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

2.4ghz whine made me smile. Luckily my old ears don't hear much up at those frequencies any more.

Sorry for hijacking an interesting topic with genuinely useful comments (esp yrself Rado!)

Jez x

😊 2.4ghz wireless frequency whine is actually around audible 2khz

3 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Tony

+1 Rado, I do encounter RF when using 641 with a knuckle but nothing without it and nothing I recall with a cmit5. (Using 742 mic end of the pole.) Is the 2.4ghz not a sep issue? (which I have occasionally and it's v low level in the IFB, never in my main tracks etc so not really an issue).

C.

3 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

One of the most common one is Zaxnet or video monitoring systems 2.4ghz whine even when using a cable. Odd enough the SuperCmit does not have it which led me to believe it is the analog circuitry to blame. That is why I asked Matthias about RF issues. I was hoping the new smaller mic will be more RF proof. 

Interesting, I have had zaxnet whine as a separate issue but now i have changed my powering of the ifb100 its all sorted and my schoeps are clean, but i am always interested in other peoples experiences so to know what to look out for.

8 hours ago, cjh said:

+1 Rado, I do encounter RF when using 641 with a knuckle but nothing without it and nothing I recall with a cmit5. (Using 742 mic end of the pole.) Is the 2.4ghz not a sep issue? (which I have occasionally and it's v low level in the IFB, never in my main tracks etc so not really an issue).

C.

I have had different RF issues with cmit5 not only 2.4ghz. But when the RF issues are only with the cmit5 and cmc6mk41 and not mkh8060,8040, DPA 4017,DPA 4018 I can insulate the problem to the Schoeps mics. I have had the same issues with Neumman and Geffell mics as well using the same setup.

And we are not even talking about humidity...

32 minutes ago, Jesse Flaitz said:

Just ordered one from Gotham.  Can't wait to use it in the field.  I assume the softies that work for the 5U work for the mini?  Gotham wasn't sure about it, but the interference length appears the same.

It depends on the mount. You don't want the softie to be banging on the mount.