Schoeps MiniCMIT

VASI

Yes, the mount is specifically intended for foam-only indoor use. It is possible to make everything very small, light and compact for that reason. The entire mic and mount envelope is about 80x85x170mm - a bit less than 3.5" x 6.5". For work on confined sets, low ceilings etc it is very neat and agile.

For windier locations you cannot avoid having to have something fatter. The relationship of windshield perimeter to capsule distance governing wind noise reduction is one of those irritating facts of physics that cannot be ignored..

Chris Woolf

On 21 November 2016 at 4:41 PM, WinstonC said:

Thanks for the new images Simon.  For the Cyclone, will the recommendation be to use the lyres as pictured, blocking a few holes on the mic, or will the single point InVision mount be adapted for Cyclone?  

For the moment yes. The new clamp & lever parts will arrive early in 2017

On 22 November 2016 at 8:35 PM, Glen Deakin said:

Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious how the new mount will work with the dpa4017b. 

The difference is the rear clamp/lever, as the DPA 4017b or c are 19mm rather than 21mm for the Schoeps. The 4017 version will also work well with the 4018, 8060 & CS-1.

I found the 12cm softie to be just a tiny bit too large.  I ordered the 10cm Rycote softie and it fits perfectly.  The 12cm is listed for the CMIT 5U, but the short body length of the mini makes it a less optimal fit.

2016-12-02_10_17_59.jpg

2016-12-02_10_19_12.jpg

I tested the miniCMIT against my MKH 50 two days ago.  I had to use much more gain on my Nomad 10 for the CMIT than the 50.  I was sitting around +18 for the 50 and up to +25 for the CMIT (circle dolly wide shot, had much more headroom than I'd like).  That was high enough gain to start getting slightly noticeable thermal noise.  The people talking weren't exactly great at projecting their voices, but the room sounded good enough to carry the signal.

The noise was likely more noticeable in the CMIT due to the pick up pattern.  My 50 was picking up much more of the office AC noise that the CMIT was rejecting.  It was minimal enough to not effect the tone when mixing between the two, but definitely noticeable when soloing back and forth.

I really love the low profile nature of the mic and, of course, it sounds amazing (tiny noise floor issue notwithstanding, also something I've noticed with other hypers).

2016-12-02 14.26.18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 11:59 AM, Simon Davies said:

A 19mm version of clamp for 4017C, MKH 8060 & CS1 users is coming too as an InVision (interior mount), followed by shorter versions of the clamp for fitting into the Cyclone (or Modular). The windshield versions of the clamps are shorter so the centre line of the mic sits within the Lyre. Cheers..

Hey Simon - 

Just curious if there is an ETA on this - I would love one of these mounts for my 4017C - it would solve several issues..

-Mike

On 4 January 2017 at 4:10 AM, Mobilemike said:

Hey Simon - 

Just curious if there is an ETA on this - I would love one of these mounts for my 4017C - it would solve several issues..

-Mike

Hi Mike,

We're just waiting for the parts to arrive, so we should be shipping by the end of January. PM at simon@rycote.com and I'll let you know once they're heading out the door.

Cheers, Simon

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Met the Mini today on a shoot I will be booming the next couple of days. This thing seems very susceptible to wind noise. And I mean a lot(!).
The (indoor) setup was a Rycote Inv as pictured in

with the standard foam (yes, fully applied covering all interference slits). I've handled the 5U for some time, but this felt like it was naked/no foam at all. There is no way to pick up a dialogue with talents being a meter apart and moving the boom is highly impaired. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it due to some funny aerodynamics from the TX/Phantom mounts or a faulty unit?

2 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Met the Mini today on a shoot I will be booming the next couple of days. This thing seems very susceptible to wind noise. And I mean a lot(!).
The (indoor) setup was a Rycote Inv as pictured in

with the standard foam (yes, fully applied covering all interference slits). I've handled the 5U for some time, but this felt like it was naked/no foam at all. There is no way to pick up a dialogue with talents being a meter apart and moving the boom is highly impaired. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it due to some funny aerodynamics from the TX/Phantom mounts or a faulty unit?

I got the rycote inv mount for my mini cmit also, great suspension design but when in use terrible wind noise when swinging making mount unusable. Something to do with the clamp mech affecting the chassis, not sure exactly but works fine in another more standard rycote mount (already pictured in this thread) If you have a mini cmit do not buy the inv mount!

On 11/15/2016 at 8:07 AM, chriswoolf said:

It is most amusing to see the comments, based on a single "design concept" picture...

First of all, let me tell you all that this mount was designed in conjunction with Schoeps. Rycote has had an excellent long-term cooperative relationship with Durlach, and the companies shared 3D CAD files to enable this product to go ahead. A new version of lyre was designed specifically for the CMITmini mount and there is ample room for the 50mm diameter foam to fit, with plenty of wiggle room. The distance between lyre tips is 64mm.

With short-bodied microphones there is very little "meat" to hang on to, so conventional clip arrangements are difficult to use. Masaki's system can work, but it is very dependent on the XLR fitting extremely firmly - any movement at the joint will be heard as creaking. It is the sort of method that an individual can control, but not something a manufacturer would be wise to use.

The new cam-lever clamp allows the microphone to be held extremely securely - slide the mic in, drop the lever fully down, and there is no movement whatsoever. You can wave the microphone as vigorously as you like and nothing wobbles or shifts. The rigid clamp and stainless rods are necessary to give the proper mass transfer. Lyres are very flexible and efficient, but as with all sprung systems - it doesn't matter what design they are - the loading must be substantially the same on them to allow uniform orthogonal movement. Think what happens to the handling of a car when the spring loading is drastically uneven. In effect the lyres are clipped to the microphone at optimal positions, but without any clips being required - the grille slots are entirely free, yet the mic is balanced and secure.

I do accept that I have had the great advantage of having both virtual and real examples of the CMITmini in my possesion, and the use of an actual prototype mount, so I can speak from experience;}. The mount works very nicely, thank you. And the microphone is an absolute delight too - congratulations to Schoeps. Together, they form a very neat, physically short solution for lightweight indoor pole use. For windier locations there will be related Rycote solutions that are equally compact.

Now, I hope this response gets posted...

Chris Woolf (with his Rycote designer hat on)

Now when I saw the mount I can say it is a terrible design and noisy.

I

On 4/6/2017 at 0:32 AM, Patrick Tresch said:

Is the minicmit prone to noise due to humidity problems like some other Schoeps mics? I'm planning to shoot in the Amazonas.

Thanks for the info.

Pat

I had zero problems in the Amazonas with the DPA 4017C

Now when I saw the mount I can say it is a terrible design and noisy.

I'm surprised you can see how noisy something is. I usually have to listen to things to find out how they sound.
And I disagree with you whole-heartedly. I think it's a great mount, the clamping mechanism is really fast and tight, gripping the mic firmly.
There is no noise coming from the mount per se, but when you do fast and long swings, you do hear a swoosh, but that's true for any mount and usually more due to the foam cover rather than the mount.

What exactly don't you like about it? Other than looking at it, apparently...

I
I had zero problems in the Amazonas with the DPA 4017C

That's great, and I love the 4017c, too, but perhaps not very helpful since the guy asked about the MiniCMIT...

I got the rycote inv mount for my mini cmit also, great suspension design but when in use terrible wind noise when swinging making mount unusable. Something to do with the clamp mech affecting the chassis, not sure exactly but works fine in another more standard rycote mount (already pictured in this thread) If you have a mini cmit do not buy the inv mount!

I assume you mean the INV lite? All indoor mounts are called INV.
I cannot confirm your findings at all. In fact, with my DPA 4017, this is actually the quietest mount, and I tried at least 4 types

I am SUPER confused with the way people talk about microphones and then suspensions susceptible to WIND noise. 
Moving a mic in a suspension on a Boom pole is not the same as WIND. 

Put a mic in any suspension and a foam windshield on it and then swing it around anywhere - indoors or under friggin water and say oh damn, i can hear WIND noise. 

maybe i am getting too old... 

-vin

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

I'm surprised you can see how noisy something is. I usually have to listen to things to find out how they sound.
And I disagree with you whole-heartedly. I think it's a great mount, the clamping mechanism is really fast and tight, gripping the mic firmly.
There is no noise coming from the mount per se, but when you do fast and long swings, you do hear a swoosh, but that's true for any mount and usually more due to the foam cover rather than the mount.

What exactly don't you like about it? Other than looking at it, apparently...

That's great, and I love the 4017c, too, but perhaps not very helpful since the guy asked about the MiniCMIT...
I assume you mean the INV lite? All indoor mounts are called INV.
I cannot confirm your findings at all. In fact, with my DPA 4017, this is actually the quietest mount, and I tried at least 4 types

By saw I meant phisically in my hands and  tested...

Noting is better then Cinela and a bubble bee layer softie. 

Rycote promotes some products through mixers and then when the masses get their hands on it it turns to be garbage. 

I use the first Invision and they are pretty ok.

But all other new attempts are failing.

When rycote purchased the competition and closed them down they turned in to a monopoly.

You can't expect a monopoly to put a good product out because they don't really have to. Rycote products are still being pushed on the market and  people are still buying them which is fine by me.

But don't expect me to get excited by products like this invision lite mount, cyclone or the latest softie because I tried them and they are all  worst then previous rycotes and not even close to cinela and bubblebee

But all other new attempts are failing.

When rycote purchased the competition and closed them down they turned in to a monopoly.

Wait, they bought Cinela? I did not know that. But you like Cinela? Or maybe they are not a monopoly.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinion, and experience, that's fine. Personally, I have not been happy with my Cinela mounts, and I only really like the INV lite, funnily enough.

Have to admit, though, the Cyclone leaves me a bit under-whelmed. Many aspects about it I really like, but weight and wind performance are not it

I guess the more correct term would be "noise introduced by air turbulences when swinging the boom".

Pretty clunky term as well, though.
Now, are we talking about fast mid-long to long movements, quickly between words? Ir are we talking about regular booming two people a metre apart? With gentle movements back and forth?