Bash

Lectro PDR, not Lectro PMR

Bash   

I have just seen the announcement from Lectrosonics about their new PDR, a Personal Digital Recorder. Looks like a radio mic receiver (albeit a very small one) and has a TC IP to jam the clock, and a loop through for the audio to go to a camera or to a radio mic transmitter. It can be seen on Trew or Gotham websites, here is a link...... http://tinyurl.com/gmyjltf .

Now - I wouldn't want to fan any flames, but didn't Zaxcom have words with Tascam about their product which was somewhat similar to this, lacking only in the TC. I cant help but to think that this could get interesting........

Edited by Bash
typo

If it's able to jam Timecode, I'd rub that magic lamp a little harder and get it to also output Timecode. That would be perfect for mounting on a DSLR or similar small camera with the flexibility to input audio from a smaller electret Mic and inputting both into camera for two methods of sync, waveform and Timecode.

While at it, double the battery life if possible!

Bash   

Huge apologies Larry - my mistake - rushing as ever..... BUT.... since we have your attention.... How will this work regarding Zax and patents? Kindest, sb

LarryF   

No problem. PMR sounds pretty good.

As you would expect, we researched this and got solid legal advice. I don't think it was very important to Tascam.

Best, lef

5 minutes ago, AnuarYahya said:

Not bad!

Since its not a transmitter its not really stepping on any patent. Its just another recorder as far as anybody is concerned. 

Yep.

Lef

Bash   

I guess at the price that Tascam were selling it must have been a minute thing in their grand scheme of things, hence not worth continuing in a legal way. Thanks for the clarification, sb

efksound   
2 hours ago, AnuarYahya said:

Not bad!

Since its not a transmitter its not really stepping on any patent. Its just another recorder as far as anybody is concerned. 

So where is the difference ? 

tascam_dr_10cl_micro_linear_pcm_1086785.jpg

efksound   
1 minute ago, Bash said:

Surely the difference is quality, and TC?

Was more referring to the previous quote saying :   Since its not a transmitter its not really stepping on any patent. Its just another recorder as far as anybody is concerned. 

LarryF   
44 minutes ago, efksound said:

A recorder with time code is a recorder with time code is a recorder with time code. With apologies  to Gertrude Stein.

Best, LEF

Crussell   

I see it can accept timecode on the 5 pin lemo, does it also output the device's time code?  I read the manual and it really only talks about jamming but if outputs as well, I can use it as a sync box in a pinch too.  Would make it a great all around problem solver. 

Would be cool if it had a thunderbolt port and CF and SD card reader slots... and 8 full size XLR inputs please. I would also like if it could be used as a computer audio interface.

Seriously, it looks great. Great work Lectro, as always! 

I seem to remember with the Tascam it was specifically advertised as being a backup recorder for a transmitter, and should as such be integrated into a wireless system.
The PDR is supposed to be used instead of a wireless mic, so it's slightly different, but maybe different enough

The A Time in the Tascam can function like TC, you can start the clock and a TC gen (like in a lockit etc) together and it puts you close, ballpark like.  It's worked well enough.  That said having real TC, like with this box or ZFR is way better for what I do, where they kind of assume they can do a Resolve autosync via TC.   On the PDR it appears that there is enough exposed thread on the mini that a locking male connector could grab it.

5 hours ago, efksound said:

Well, for one the unit is made by Lectrosonics which has provided us with decades of dependable professional equipment...  Tascam... ? Well, it's Tascam..

Nuf said..

daniel   
13 hours ago, efksound said:

Other than the build quality and all the other things stated above I imagine the stated (primary) use in the marketing material and the O/P configuration has something to do with it.

Does anyone know what the split gain mode (384khz) listed in the manual is? 

I can guess it may be a method of recording two different levels at once to avoid overages, but I don't understand why this would result in a different sample rate...

The TA5 input has the same servo circuitry as their transmitters.  The unit has time code in, but not out, and runs on a single AAA battery.  It's mono only.

Split gain mode does, indeed, record the signal on two tracks, at two different levels with one track 18dB lower than the other.  It's for those "whisper to scream" times.  The output can drive headphones, or can be set to a fixed line level output.