Lectro PDR, not Lectro PMR

Bash

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had a chance to evaluate the sound quality from this recorder?

Personally, I'd like to know how it compares to the sound from a Sound Devices recorder, using a wired lav, and to competing miniature recorders, specifically the Tascam DR-10L (recognising that the Tascam doesn't have time code).

Also, what is the sound quality if one uses something like a Schoeps MK41 with a 48v power supply?

And a speculative question. What do people think the odds are of Sound Devices coming out with a miniature recorder in the near future?

By the way, here is the link to Matt Price's YouTube live stream on this recorder yesterday with Karl Winkler of Lectrosonics:

It feels to me we long ago passed the point of needing to be concerned about audio quality on recorders.... we are usually recording people speaking and background atmosphere in this line of work and i cant think of a recorder put out in the last decade that wasnt high quality enough for those tasks....our jobs are about caring more than everyone else about sound and sweating the small stuff, but so is lectros really, its hard to conceive they would release something that didnt pass all our quality requirements by a large margin.....

will probably pick one of these up shortly while quietly bemoaning the fact its a couple features (2 track ability/tc out/tx option) short of being a do it all gamechanger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, jhop said:

It feels to me we long ago passed the point of needing to be concerned about audio quality on recorders.... we are usually recording people speaking and background atmosphere in this line of work and i cant think of a recorder put out in the last decade that wasnt high quality enough for those tasks....i get that our jobs are about caring more than everyone else and sweating the small stuff, but so is lectros, so i would find it impossible to think they would release something that didnt pass all our quality requirements by a large margin.....

will probably pick one of these up shortly while quietly bemoaning the fact its a couple features (2 track ability/tc out/tx option) short of being a do it all gamechanger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely right jhop........... although for version 1, I think they have nailed it in terms of features verses size and usability.

Hi jhop & Steve Foy,

If I understand, what you are saying is that there is no meaningful difference in sound quality between the $200 Tascam and the $735 Lectrosonics, and that paying $535 more for the Lectrosonics is pointless unless one needs time code.

It would also seem that you are saying that there is no practical difference, in terms of sound quality, between using a Sound Devices recorder and a Tascam DR-10L, or for that matter a Zoom H4N.

If that's what you're saying, it's interesting but not where I'm at.

I remain interested in comments about the sound quality from the new Lectrosonics recorder, from both a lavalier mic and a condenser mic requiring phantom power, from anyone who has actually tried one, and in comments on how the sound quality compares to Tascam's DR-10L or similar.

6 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Hi jhop & Steve Foy,

If I understand, what you are saying is that there is no meaningful difference in sound quality between the $200 Tascam and the $735 Lectrosonics, and that paying $535 more for the Lectrosonics is pointless unless one needs time code.

No, I'm not saying that at all.......... you are splitting straws. The sound quality of both should be fine but the point jhop was making is that it would be incredibly unlikely for Lectrosonics to release a product that falls short of our Professional requirements and expectations. There are of course other things to consider like build quality, the ability to dovetail with existing equipment, workflow, usability and TC interfacing.

If you think the Tascam is the right choice then buy the Tascam.......... I'll be buying the Lectrosonics.

14 minutes ago, Steve Foy said:

If you think the Tascam is the right choice then buy the Tascam.......... I'll be buying the Lectrosonics.

My question is whether anyone has tried the Lectrosonics recorder and can comment on the sound vis a vis certain alternatives.

It is a really simple question. In your case, apparently you haven't tried it, but have an opinion anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Stewart said:

My question is whether anyone has tried the Lectrosonics recorder and can comment on the sound vis a vis certain alternatives.

It is a really simple question. In your case, apparently you haven't tried it, but have an opinion anyway. 

Fair enough............ in answer to your simple question: No, I haven't actually tried the Lectrosonics PDR as yet.

Disclaimer: My opinion is based purely on the stated specifications, my previous experience with Lectrosonics products and how that fits with my current requirements.

Have a great day mate.

7 hours ago, Stewart said:

It was just unveiled to the world Sunday -- less than four full days ago as I'm writing this -- so few have had the opportunity to actually use one yet in a production environment. It's obvious that a number of people are understandably basing comments on Lectro's well-earned reputation for quality.

One wonders why you feel the need to be so combative.  

11 hours ago, Stewart said:

Hi jhop & Steve Foy,

It would also seem that you are saying that there is no practical difference, in terms of sound quality, between using a Sound Devices recorder and a Tascam DR-10L, or for that matter a Zoom H4N.

If that's what you're saying, it's interesting but not where I'm at.

I remain interested in comments about the sound quality from the new Lectrosonics recorder, from both a lavalier mic and a condenser mic requiring phantom power, from anyone who has actually tried one, and in comments on how the sound quality compares to Tascam's DR-10L or similar.

As an FYI the PDR does not support 48v phantom, only 2-5v for lavalier microphones and line level of course. OTOH getting 6 hrs of 48v phantom from one AAA battery for a Schoeps 641 wouldn't be too shabby. The audio quality is exactly what you would expect from Lectro, trust me on that.

• 2 weeks later...

just seen a short hands-on video which shows the size nicely:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/11/21/interbee-2016-hands-on-with-lectrosonics-tiny-pdr-audio-recorder-with-timecode-sync/

also interesting that he mentions the split gain mode resulting in about 110db dynamic range total (opposed to about 105 in mono mode), which clears up some of my confusing math earlier.

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, Matthew Marzano said:

Any updates from early adopters? Of course I'm curious about the sound quality but I imagine it's great being lectro. What I'm really wondering about is after a battery swap does the timecode need to be rejammed? 

Yes, you do need to rejam after a battery swap as there is no internal battery and yes, the sound quality is as you would expect......... superb !!!

Steve

• 1 month later...