Lectro PDR, not Lectro PMR

Bash

I have just seen the announcement from Lectrosonics about their new PDR, a Personal Digital Recorder. Looks like a radio mic receiver (albeit a very small one) and has a TC IP to jam the clock, and a loop through for the audio to go to a camera or to a radio mic transmitter. It can be seen on Trew or Gotham websites, here is a link...... http://tinyurl.com/gmyjltf .

Now - I wouldn't want to fan any flames, but didn't Zaxcom have words with Tascam about their product which was somewhat similar to this, lacking only in the TC. I cant help but to think that this could get interesting........

Edited by Bash
typo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's able to jam Timecode, I'd rub that magic lamp a little harder and get it to also output Timecode. That would be perfect for mounting on a DSLR or similar small camera with the flexibility to input audio from a smaller electret Mic and inputting both into camera for two methods of sync, waveform and Timecode.

While at it, double the battery life if possible!

No problem. PMR sounds pretty good.

As you would expect, we researched this and got solid legal advice. I don't think it was very important to Tascam.

Best, lef

5 minutes ago, AnuarYahya said:

Not bad!

Since its not a transmitter its not really stepping on any patent. Its just another recorder as far as anybody is concerned. 

Yep.

Lef

The A Time in the Tascam can function like TC, you can start the clock and a TC gen (like in a lockit etc) together and it puts you close, ballpark like.  It's worked well enough.  That said having real TC, like with this box or ZFR is way better for what I do, where they kind of assume they can do a Resolve autosync via TC.   On the PDR it appears that there is enough exposed thread on the mini that a locking male connector could grab it.

The TA5 input has the same servo circuitry as their transmitters.  The unit has time code in, but not out, and runs on a single AAA battery.  It's mono only.

Split gain mode does, indeed, record the signal on two tracks, at two different levels with one track 18dB lower than the other.  It's for those "whisper to scream" times.  The output can drive headphones, or can be set to a fixed line level output.