Identify this Slate

DillonBochon

Hey folks, I recently saw this slate on consignment at a local camera shop, and I was wondering if any of you out there recognised it. it is fairly inexpensive, but it may be a case of too good to be true.

I've done my own search, and have had no luck finding anything in current, or legacy products that even look close.

It has a unibody design with an indent in the back as a handle. The T/C input is a 3.5mm plug. it takes 6 AA batteries with an opening panel on the back. There seems to be no brand name of any kind anywhere on it, control wise, there are 4 colored buttons on the back face next to the battery compartment. I managed to boot it up at the store, and it displays "TS-00" on startup before listing the battery voltage, similarly to Denecke slates.

Talking to the folks at the shop, they were told it is from Russia, but they have no manual or any other info about it. The seller, likewise has no further information on it.

TC Slate.jpg

4 hours ago, efksound said:

It's probably a early Ben Fisher/Fisher Robotics Slate
The guy went out of business fairly quickly due to bad business practices.

+1 Yep it is and as EFK said guy was a poor business  man offered no support and went out of business as I recall it was around 2008-2009 

He was another one of these people who showed up out of seemingly nowhere, convinced he was going to revolutionize the industry with a low cost slate, maintaining the smug certainty that he would send the overpriced established time code companies into oblivion.

A few folks bought -- most rolled eyeballs.

I had one of those Triax Tools Timecode Slates when they first came out(#013) . It worked, it was what I could afford at the time.  The battery compartment door broke on mine, thankfully I was able to get a replacement before things went south for the company.  Eventually I sold it for a Denecke.  There is a reason that Denecke is still around and they are not.  

I have one - use it as a C slate. Also use it for when the ACs complain about the TS3 size. Bought used for cheap 10 years ago maybe, (paid $250) and it honestly works just fine and keeps solid code.  +1 To Brian, battery door will likely break.  

Make sure you get your hands on the manual. You will need it to operate the menus properly.