first dpa for zaxcom

osa

about to purchase my first DPA lav to use with my zaxcom trxla's as well as lectro ssm. after reading here as much as i can find, and also after the recommendation of a usual suspect, i ultimately feel the 4063 slim cable is the way to go. if i understand correctly, there is no 4073 version available yet? i really wanted to go with the 4071, but usual suspect is telling my it's hit or miss for success with 4071 on zaxcom transmitters according to their reports from the field. is this also the general feeling here? 99% of my lav use is buried under fabric so the feature set of the 4071 seemed to speak to me more. but the 4063 i understand as tried and true. wanting to go with hardwire pushpull lemo connector vs microdot adapter.

either way, excited to try DPA lavs. i have a 4017 that i use quite a bit so i am already a huge fan of DPA mics. mostly 11d's and b6's when it comes to lavs.

-Ken

They don't currently make the 4063 in a slim version. 

I'm currently sitting impatiently waiting for a delivery with some 4060 slims. I kept them with the microdot and brought both Zax and Lectro adaptors as I use brands of wireless. 

I have some older 6063's wired for Lectro that I don't use much (the cables have gone stiff) and a 4071 and they still sound great. 

7 minutes ago, Nate C said:

They don't currently make the 4063 in a slim version. 

I'm currently sitting impatiently waiting for a delivery with some 4060 slims. I kept them with the microdot and brought both Zax and Lectro adaptors as I use brands of wireless. 

I have some older 6063's wired for Lectro that I don't use much (the cables have gone stiff) and a 4071 and they still sound great. 

sorry i got confused - D:screte and all these model numbers. standard 4063 is indeed what i am referring to. i may have to see if usual suspect will let me somehow compare a 4071 and a 4063 at home

-Ken

Ken,

If you like the sound of your 4017 or a Schoeps, you'll be quite pleased with the DPA lavs.  The 4063 works great with Zaxcom.  I've found the 4060 and 4061 to be "hit or miss," as you stated it, in terms of RF noise pickup when used with the digital transmitters. 

Word is the Slim is working well with Zaxcom and that they have fixed the weak cable-to-capsule connection they had early on. 

The 4071 has a more tailored response.  I haven't used that model but guess that if you want to match the 4017, you'd be happiest with a Slim or a 4063. 

Keep in mind that most of the "usual suspects" are typically quite good about allowing returns of a new item that doesn't work the way you need. 

1 minute ago, John Blankenship said:

The 4071 has a more tailored response.  I haven't used that model but guess that if you want to match the 4017, you'd be happiest with a Slim or a 4063. 

Keep in mind that most of the "usual suspects" are typically quite good about allowing returns of a new item that doesn't work the way you need. 

thanks john good input - when an indoor shot calls for a shotgun i almost always use my 4017 with hi boost on outside of a zep for the extra reach effect it seems to have, and in my head i thought the 4071 might be a better match. anyone else have any comments in this regard? i will contact the dealer to see if i can indeed get one of ea for side by side tests and send one back. for my first DPA lav purchase i am leaning more towards 4063 with a 4071 possibly down the line. would love to hear both side by side if they will let me

-Ken

The 4063 comes with two caps ("grids" as DPA calls them).  Quoting: "Soft boost grid: 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 3 dB soft boost at 8 - 20 kHz. High boost grid: 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 10 dB boost at 12 kHz"

The 4017B states:  "High boost: +4 dB at 8 kHz. Low cut: First order filter, below 120 Hz" so it should match really well with a 4063 using a Soft boost grid.

A 4063 with the High boost grid has a +5dB boost at 8kHz and a 10dB boost at around 12k, which is a bit better suited for under clothing.

If you like the sound of a 4017 you should be really happy with the 4063 paired with a Zaxcom wireless.

Great advice from John.

Make sure you carry the extra caps with you to swap if you have to but be aware that with noisy fabrics the highboost can and will excaudate the rustle. The highboost can sound a little eSy under a tshirt with problematic voices "still better then all the competition". So at the end it is your choice... 

8 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

The 4017B states:  "High boost: +4 dB at 8 kHz. Low cut: First order filter, below 120 Hz" so it should match really well with a 4063 using a Soft boost grid.

I use a DPA 4017B along with a bunch of DPA 4060 and they work great together. 4017B has a low-cut filter at 50Hz enabled all the time to take away rumble, and if I need to take away some more low-end, I prefer doing it with the low-cut filter in my 664. But if you're micing a male interviewee with a chesty voice, the low-cut on the 4017B might come in handy.

A 4063 with the High boost grid has a +5dB boost at 8kHz and a 10dB boost at around 12k, which is a bit better suited for under clothing.

Actually I seldom use the high boost grid, because it adds a lot of high-end which might make the voice sibilant. It's good to have the option, but when the clothing is thick enough to muffle the voice too much, I experiment to mic placement. By positioning it close to the rim of the clothing.

If you like the sound of a 4017 you should be really happy with the 4063 paired with a Zaxcom wireless.

I haven't used Zamcoms in a long time, but yes, the sound blends really well between the DPA 4017B and DPA lav mics.

Cheers

Fred

Yes, the 406X are really more flexible than the 4071 with its fixed response. Should you ever need to place the lavs somehwere out in the open, on a talent or as a spot mic - or for music recordings - you can use the flat cap and that makes those mics far more versatile, as the 4071 can't do flat. Also, the 4071 is slightly bigger overall, making it that much more difficult to hide

I am using three months now, DPA 4071, for a documentary series in national television. I really like this microphone for bass male voice, not so much for female voices. Go with 4063 line, it's more flexible as other members said here.

I just got two 4063's for my trxla2's/3's and they live up to all the expectations. I also find that it mixes really well with the cmit/ccm41 very nicely. When I was first researching I really wanted the 4063 slim version. Currently it's not in the market but it's in the works. Also, they do make a 4073 version for Zaxcom. At least that's what I was told when I spoke to them about two weeks ago.

I demo'd the 4071 a while back, and decided to stick with the 4063.  I didn't like the permanent hi boost on the 4071, and the 4063 cut better with the schoeps which are my primary mics.  But this is all subjective, which is why I still recommend demo'ing both and deciding which tone fits your aesthetic the best.