Lectrosonics on WESTWORLD

Marc Wielage

I'm watching the new HBO series Westworld (which is a terrific show, very high-budget for TV), and enjoying it very much. It's a far different show than what I was expecting, with a lot of layers and nuances and complex plot twists. It's not at all like the "robots gone wild" movies of the 1970s. 

In the latest episode, we found out that somebody has secretly installed "GPS" devices in some of the robots' arms, and these are radiating signals to some evil villain for nefarious purposes. They took one of the "GPS" devices out of the robots and showed a close-up of it, and imagine my surprise when I fell out of my chair laughing:

2_zpsfg7hxpwc.png?t=1478510300

1_zpsxaimwaix.png?t=1478510302

bc8fcf9f-ea62-43fe-b41e-19cffa0d8406_zps

It's a bit covered with robot blood and gunk, but unless I'm very much mistaken, this is a Lectrosonics SM, or maybe an older SMQV, with a fake attached antenna. Maybe as the series progresses, they'll eventually upgrade to the light-up SMV models. Or who knows, maybe a Zaxcom!

Always hilarious when you see pro audio & video stuff used as "sci-fi" props in movies & TV shows...

19 hours ago, VAS said:

THANKS FOR SPOILER, MARC! I HATE YOU

That's what I'm here for! You're welcome.

19 hours ago, Constantin said:

It doesn't really look like an SM to me. The SMs are rounded on one side, but flat on the other, and the battery compartment screw is extruding far too much. Could be that there is a tx inside and they built a sort of cage around it?

It's certainly "SM-like," that's for sure. The shape and the round battery knob are the giveaways.