Christian Spaeth

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Let me clarify a couple of things:

- For me, it's not about Trump v Hillary, it's about not Trump
- You seriously ask a German guy if he knows what a racist is? (No, that doesn't mean we're all racists, but we've had a few problems with some)
- I am not pretending to suggest how to fix a country's problems, not here, not in the US.
What gave you the impression? I do however have an opinion of what will likely be the wrong way.
I hope you didn't watch that video, and believed it all, where supposedly Germany was basically taken over by ISIS. They even had islamic symbols on the Cologne cathedral. I live in Cologne and it's not true. Of course we have problems here, and if our elections and the politicians elected had any influence over the course of... the entire world, I would accept that other people/countries take a sharp interest in the outcome. And possibly worry about it.

NATO is not a "program". It's an alliance of countries that ensured that the Cold War didn't turn hot and that later Russia and others didn't go around invading countries.
It's not a service offered by the US for free to other countries, there already are no free rides. Yes, there are countries that can do more - and they should - but most are contributing based on their abilities.
The US could possibly go it alone, but would greatly suffer, too, of a destabilized world.

Anyway, I am sure this thread has gone on longer than Jeff would like, and I am bowing out of this conversation now.

- I'm not sure what video you're talking about.  Islamic symbols on the Cologne cathedral? No idea.

- For me, it was about anyone but hillary.

- NATO is a program if you're footing the majority of the bill. It is also an alliance, I know.  But our ability to pick up the slack has been stretched thin.  

36 minutes ago, afewmoreyears said:

Jeff, please do away with this...  Please.    Agree with our friend Constantin...  We've been subjected to enough.. 

Please note, I didn't start this thread. I just voice a different opinion than yours. Is that what you're offended by?

The only time NATO has invoked the self defence clause was after the 9/11 attacks, 1000s of European troops have been injured and killed in the following wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and our involvement had political and economic impacts on most of us (putting aside the subsequent terror attacks we then faced). Pulling back from NATO is never going to happen, it's worth too many $$$ and in 20 years I'm sure America would not want Europe to be part of a different 'sphere of influence'.

4 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

I did start this thread. And I feel like you raped it, nameless maniac. Jeff, please feel free to shut it down.

You do know that political stuff has it's own place in this forum, not here in "Current".  You broke the rules, not me. 

I raped it by not agreeing with you? Do you not think that there are 2 side to everything or is there only your side? If anything, I've added perspective to the thread.

Maniac?  Again, because I don't agree with you? You should go back and watch that video clip in post #49.  He explains how name calling actually cost the libs the election.  Don't be scared to watch it, it's VERY informative and he's on your side.    

Too many triggers and not enough safe spaces in today's world I guess...

...Toodles...

22 hours ago, Mirror said:

You do know that political stuff has it's own place in this forum, not here in "Current".  You broke the rules, not me. 

I raped it by not agreeing with you? Do you not think that there are 2 side to everything or is there only your side? If anything, I've added perspective to the thread.

Maniac?  Again, because I don't agree with you? You should go back and watch that video clip in post #49.  He explains how name calling actually cost the libs the election.  Don't be scared to watch it, it's VERY informative and he's on your side.    

Too many triggers and not enough safe spaces in today's world I guess...

...Toodles...

I think it's good to have an opinion, and I do think different opinions are alright, too, that's when a discussion can happen (though I didn't start this thread to have a political discussion). But imagine a discussion during which one person talks all the time with no end and keeps showing videos, as if they believe that their arguments can't stand for themselves.  That's no fun. And, like Trump, someone who offends people all the time but himself is easily offended, also no fun.

Re the politics of the anonymous signature (at the end of every post, in whatever topic): 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_von_Mises

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Hayek

And (by coincidence) a critique of this ideology in today's paper:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/14/neoliberalsim-donald-trump-george-monbiot

2 hours ago, daniel said:

Re the politics of the anonymous signature (at the end of every post, in whatever topic): 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_von_Mises

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Hayek

And (by coincidence) a critique of this ideology in today's paper:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/14/neoliberalsim-donald-trump-george-monbiot

I also liked the politics of JFK.

• 2 weeks later...