Soundbreaking: PBS TV Series on Recording Music

Jim Feeley

"The eight-part series explores the art of music recording, and offers a behind-the-scenes look at the birth of brand new sounds. New episodes weeknights Nov. 14-23."

Starts next Monday on US public broadcasting. Looks like episodes might be available for free streaming online after first broadcast. Not sure if there are geographic restrictions. But the series sounds interesting. I hear there's a whole episode dedicated to ribbon mics :-). 

http://www.pbs.org/soundbreaking/home/

Can't get a read on what the whole thing is like from the trailer...but check it out:

Is this a second series? I just watched a series here on Sky Arts (a free channel) here in the UK and I'd be quite surprised if we got it before you. All in all a decent series, except for my "gripe" that between around a dozen credited edit/post professionals they could rarely get the aspect ratio close to acceptable. To the point (after getting sick of trying to zap between shots) I watched the programmes on 4:3 ... since I prefer to look at thin people to fat people.

(I do hope I'm remembering correctly it being indeed this series and not accidentally dissing the fine work of twelve edit folk !)

Jez

If Annie Lennox is fat, that's the series. If she's absent (or thin), my apologies to twelve creative techs! But I think I was writing about the right series (I watched several music docs over the last couple or so months) or I wouldn't have mentioned it. The gripe is a long running one though - how mistakes in aspect ratio could ever be made in the first place, let alone OK'ed and broadcast, is beyond me. It happens A T B T.

J

PS - an interesting series though. Possibly connected in some way to George Martin (again, memory ...) j

I know this series very well indeed.

I was originally approached to record the entire series. It was to be most of 18 months work for me. However.... The original producers were American, and the production was to have been run out of Canada. I was involved via a UK based DoP, and a British director. It is and was a series that relied heavily upon input from Sir George Martin, who was a delightful chap.

To cut a long story short... I predicted that my DoP chum and I would not get to shoot the whole thing, In reality, we shot only the UK based IVs and performances. The original British director lasted only about 6 months, we worked in the UK with about 10 other directors, plus numerous DoPs who were flown over. Many lasted only for one shoot.

Towards the end the Exec Producer sacked his brother, who was the Producer (who had by then become the director) and a family 'issue' had opened up.

Over the course of about 2 years they shot about 180 IVs, mostly with amazing talent. That archive must be priceless, as many of the folks we IV'd also played for us. It was, tbh, a tragedy of a production, which I was delighted and honored to have worked on. So much good stuff, but such a road accident of a project.

This was, for me, probably, the one that got away from my career. It was such a shame....

Anecdote, on the first day, of the first IV, with Sir George Martin - I am grubbing away by his waist whilst sorting out his radio mic. I looked up at him and said (and it was absolutely true) - 'nice Pasiley undergarments Sir George'. He looked down, smiled, and said in his lovely low pitched voice - 'I put them on specially for you Simon'. From that moment on he and I had such fun working together. He was a gentleman, with great wit and devilishness.... Happy Days.........

Kindest, sb

• 3 months later...

All is well Mike, if slightly more quiet than I would prefer. I am loving the 6 month into me Cantar X3, the Audio Ltd 1010s (which sound stunning) and the new kid on the block, which I bought 2 weeks before being made aware of the Cantar Mini, a Sonosax SX-R4+!! The X3 is awesome, the Sonosax sounds stunning, and the Audio Ltd 1010s just sound .... like being at home!!!

Now I am debating whether to have a go with some DPA 4017s - I would be rather more keen if they would make a digital preamp for them. I have been on digital booms for about 6 years now!!!!

Anyway - the important thing is that when I put my headphones on, each and every time, it makes my ears smile, from one side to the other. This is why I do it, for this reason, and because my old Mum (87 this year) still likes listening to my sound. That makes it worthwhile ;-)

Hoping all is well in NZ - don't forget that I owe you fish and chips next time you are in the UK ;-) sb

• 1 month later...
On 10 November 2016 at 11:01 AM, Bash said:

I know this series very well indeed.

I was originally approached to record the entire series. It was to be most of 18 months work for me. However.... The original producers were American, and the production was to have been run out of Canada. I was involved via a UK based DoP, and a British director. It is and was a series that relied heavily upon input from Sir George Martin, who was a delightful chap.

To cut a long story short... I predicted that my DoP chum and I would not get to shoot the whole thing, In reality, we shot only the UK based IVs and performances. The original British director lasted only about 6 months, we worked in the UK with about 10 other directors, plus numerous DoPs who were flown over. Many lasted only for one shoot.

Towards the end the Exec Producer sacked his brother, who was the Producer (who had by then become the director) and a family 'issue' had opened up.

Over the course of about 2 years they shot about 180 IVs, mostly with amazing talent. That archive must be priceless, as many of the folks we IV'd also played for us. It was, tbh, a tragedy of a production, which I was delighted and honored to have worked on. So much good stuff, but such a road accident of a project.

This was, for me, probably, the one that got away from my career. It was such a shame....

Anecdote, on the first day, of the first IV, with Sir George Martin - I am grubbing away by his waist whilst sorting out his radio mic. I looked up at him and said (and it was absolutely true) - 'nice Pasiley undergarments Sir George'. He looked down, smiled, and said in his lovely low pitched voice - 'I put them on specially for you Simon'. From that moment on he and I had such fun working together. He was a gentleman, with great wit and devilishness.... Happy Days.........

Kindest, sb

Great Sir George story there. Thanks for sharing!