New versions of Boom Recorder

takev

Hello everyone,

It took a long time, but I've finally released the new version of Boom Recorder. You can download it from:

http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/

Below is a list of changes I made on this new version.

Cheers,

Take

Version 7

- Main and Preferences window remembers position and size.

- Channels are now numbered in the main window.

- Moved everything but metadata to Preferences.

- Full metadata in sound log window; cmd-L.

- metadata can be modified until stop is pressed.

- New patch bay with multi-polyphonic file handling.

- Removed import of audio files into the sound log

- Playback of multi-polyphonic files, even when some files are no longer available.

- Sample accurate timecode in CAF files.

- Added 'qttc' chunk to BWF files.

- BWFImporter allows Final Cut Pro to nativly read BWF files with qttc chunk with timecode.

- Typing a big number as start value for meter is fixed.

- New license model.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Darren,

The first versions of Boom Recorder couldn't freewheel, but I once I made the ring buffer simpler, by using a counter that continues forever, It occurred to me I can handle the timecode simpler as well and got freewheeling for free.

I love the way that when you are programming and making the software smaller, simpler and more generic, more features appear out of it. It's hard work to get a program simpler though, but I'll try my best.

Cheers,

Take

Hello Take,

I'm having problems recording on BoomRecorder 7 with a Digigram VXpocket Card on my PowerBook. I noticed this audio card is not on your list of supported hardware, but since it is a core audio interface I was wondering if it would be supported on future updates.

Thanks for such a wonderful piece of software.

Cheers!

Hello Take,

I'm having problems recording on BoomRecorder 7 with a Digigram VXpocket Card on my PowerBook. I noticed this audio card is not on your list of supported hardware, but since it is a core audio interface I was wondering if it would be supported on future updates.

I am sure Take will have an answer for this but my experience in the past with product from Digigram is that it is NOT a Core Audio interface but requires proprietary drivers. Digigram was late to develop interface products for the Mac, first developing Windows only products, and when the first Digigram pcmcia card interfaces came out that were Mac compatible, proprietary (and problematic in my experience) drivers were required. This may not be the problem you are having but I tohught I would fill in with my own experiences quite some time ago.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Thanks for your input Jeff... Although; this is what the Digigram's site says about the "MacOs X driver":

VXkit version 1.11 a' date=' for Mac OS X 10.2 & 10.3 - 24 November 2003

The VXkit is designed to support VXpocket, VXpocket v2, VXpocket 440, VX222v1 and VX222v2.

VXkit for Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3, version 1.11 a, includes the following drivers:

VXcontrol V 01.11 a (new)

VXpocket Core Audio driver V 01.11 a (new)

VXpocket 440 Core Audio driver V 01.11 a (new)

VX222 Core Audio driver V 01.11 a(new)

VX222v2 Core Audio driver V 01.11 a (new)[/quote']

One thing is that they (Digigram) haven't updated their "driver" for Mac core audio since late 2003... And another thing is that I'm actually running Mac Os Tiger now instead of Jaguar on my new Al PowerBook.

I was very excited about been able run a dedicated location sound recording software such as BRec instead of using Nuendo for such a task...

reply to Sanmiguel:  I am not sure exactly what the quote from Digigram means: "driver for Core Audio" because I guess I don't really understand Core Audio. What I do know is that all the devices out there that say they work directly with Core Audio never require installing any drivers. There are devices that DO require that you install drivers (software) for that device that allows the device to use core audio, but often if these drivers are written badly or not updated for current version of the OS, the device will not work.

When Take has said that BoomRecorder software will work with any interface that works with Core Audio, it assumes that the device is in fact "working with Core Audio" and if it is not, then BoomRecorder will not work with that interface.

-  JW

I know what you mean Jeff... It is uncertain to me how the "core audio" denomination stands for. What I can tell you for sure is that I have currently installed on my desktop Mac three different audio interfaces, and for every single one of them I needed to install some sort of "driver" in order to make them work. These audio interfaces I'm talking about are:

1. RME DIGI9652 (running Nuendo)

2. Event Electronics EzBus (running Reason & others)

3. Digidesign Mbox (running ProTools)

All of them work fine with BoomRecorder; but it wont on my PowerBook with the Digigram sound card.

Hello Sergio,

I am very sorry that your sound card doesn't work in Boom Recorder.

Could you tell me if Boom Recorder does detect the digigram vx pocket and if it does what exactly isn't working?

I've one customer who uses the Digigram VXpocket 2, he had some driver related problems, something to do with not being able to change the input levels?

I hope we can solve your problem.

Cheers,

Take

I am able to input audio on either digital or analog, thats not a problem, but when I hit record then it just runs for less than a second & suddenly stops; then a pop up window comes saying that the operation stopped due to a "processor overload". Thats it.

I tried recording with the built in input and that worked just fine.

Thanks!

Hello Sergio,

Processor overload, means that the deadline of the I/O cycle wasn't met.

This is maybe caused by having a very small device buffer, this is the same buffer that causes (monitoring) latency. You can not yet configure this buffer size in Boom Recorder, but you can change the size of this buffer in other applications like ProTools or other DAWs.

Could you try and make this buffer larger, in an other application and try again?

In the mean time I will try and add a buffer configuration to Boom Recorder.

Cheers,

Take

Hello Take,

Ok, here's the deal. I did what you advised and changed the buffer size on the Digigram's control panel. There's four values there in a pop up menu: 252, 504, 1008, & 2016. I had it set before to 1008, so I changed it to 2016; and guess what? Same problem. So I went back and changed it again, but now I decided to choose the lower value which is 252, and guess what? IT WORKED!

I know this makes NO sense at all, but now its working and I'm happy.  Its funny because when working on Nuendo(or PT) I'm used to always have a large value for the buffer size, so before starting my session on Boom-Recorder I went ahead & changed the default value of Digigrams buffer size of 504, to 1008. That was probably my first mistake, since I ASSUMED that a larger buffer signified better performance... I was wrong.

Thanks for the tip!

And again congratulations!

Hello Sergio.

I am glad it works for you know.

This is indeed mighty weird, I'll will try and investigate myself what it is with these buffer sizes. I am very busy implementing the buffer size myself. I will have to wait and see.

The only thing that I can think off is that the larger buffer sizes means that the CPU can not cache all the values, making the calculations significantly slower. Or I made a bug that makes it do the wrong thing with bigger buffer sizes.

Take

Hello everyone,

Now that some of you have tried the new version.

I have a little bit of a feeling that I've made it slightly to complicated. I know a lot of people here are pretty comfortable with a patch-bay/audio-routing matrix. But people who are seeing Boom Recorder for the first time may think: ????.

I wouldn't like it for my program not to be usable by someone not reading the manual. (where that three negatives, sorry)

Cheers,

Take

Take,

I don't beleve BoomRecorder is complicated. I got my first mac yesterday at 10 am, opened it plugged it in hooked it to my network and downloaded your software. The Motu arrived just after this and within minutes I was up and running. Couple of quick emails to you and I was seeing the timecode jammed from a slate.

I think it's very straight foward, I like the patchbay matrix.

I have worked with a lot of PC multi track programs, Cakewalk 2.0 for DOS, Vegas, Aciid,ect... Because of this, I EXPECT things to be more complicated than they should be. I have a lot to learn about Macs I'm sure.

As far as the setup I've chosen with the MOTU Ultralite, I'll send TC to BR on track one and just record it as a file each time to avoid repatching and sync the Motu from the Deva TC out versus it's internal clock. ( your recommendation =)

Your customer service is A+++ !

I look foward to using your product on my new cart!!

Larry Long

Hello everyone,

I've been talking to the author of BWF widget about the audio files Boom Recorder creates, and I've incorporated some of his suggestions in this new version, I've changed the description in the bext chunk so that each field is prefixed with a 'b'. I also added some room after the iXML data, so that programs could modify the iXML data without moving the chunks around.

A couple of people have experienced "Computer to slow" messages, which may be caused by to small or to large audio interface buffers, I've added an new control in the hardware tab of the preferences panel where you can select this buffer size. Somehow it resets to a default value every time you start Boom Recorder, very strange.

On the same hardware tab, I've made it so it will select the last selected interface when you restart Boom Recorder, or connect the audio interface, something a lot of people have asked me to fix.

I've added the possibility to drag and drop old audio files in the sound log window again, however a lot of metadata is not yet read from this audio file.

I made some fixes with the tape transport controls, there where bugs where you could not start a recording right in the middle of playback, and Boom Recorder would actually hang on it.

The following is something to try and make the user interface a little bit more user friendly for people who have never seen a patch bay matrix before, it may even be handy for the more experienced user.

I've added a few buttons in the patch-bay preferences tab, for automatically assigning the right number of files, and channel->file->folder assignments, depending on how machine channels and folders you have selected. Selecting 64 channels and 8 folders, and then pressing the mono button may not be smart, I've waited a couple of minutes without anything happening. Although if you have to assign that many channels to so many folders, it may still be faster to actually wait an half an hour than doing it manually (it would create 512 files).

Cheers,

Take Vos

Hello everyone,

I've just released Boom Recorder 7.1.1.

I've removed the pull-up option from the Hardware Preferences and added a "Stamp sample rate as" to the Metadata preferences.

I was worried that people and even myself didn't understand what was happing with the pull-up option and, I've read some things that showed me that it wasn't complete anyway. Now you can select three ways to stamp the sample rate in the audio file: the same as the actual sample rate, 0.1 % below the actual sample rate, 0.1 % above the actual sample rate.

I think this is much more clear to everyone.

Cheers,

Take

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I just released version 7.1.2 in which the following issues where solved:

- Boom Recorder 7.1 and 7.1.1 crashes when there are no audio interface with inputs connected to the computer.

- The new buffer size slider and input box, introduced in version 7.1, moved accross the window on resize.

As always you can download this version from:

http://www.vosgames.nl/downloads/

Greetings from Amsterdam,

Take

Hello everyone,

I've just released a new version of Boom Recorder.

You are now able to change the maximum file size; where Boom Recorder splits the recording and continues into a new audio file.

No other changes or bug fixes have been made.

Cheers,

Take

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've just released Boom Recorder 7.3.

With this version, Boom Recorder Pro now has the same limitations as the Boom Recorder Studio variant. I am discontinuing Boom Recorder Studio.

As Final Cut Pro sorts mono audio files alphabetical according to filename, someone has asked me to move the file-number before the channel name. You may now use the %f tag in the filename template to place the file-number in an other location than the default.

You can download Boom Recorder from:

http://www.vosgames.nl/downloads/

Cheers,

Take Vos

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've just released version 7.4. There are three changes:

- I noticed when one resized the preferences window some of the labels where not moving with it. So I fixed that.

- Someone had asked for an "instant file split" feature. When you press option-command-T or select "New Take" from the File menu, the file is stopped and immediately started again with an incremented take number. The two files will be seamless if there is a little bit pre record buffer.

- I am also working on an XML sound report. I simply have put the iXML of the recordings between BWFXML-LIST tags. Anyway, it will be possible using XSLT to show a nice looking sound report as a web-page, or possibly print it out and all other kind of funky things.

Cheers,

Take

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've just released Boom Recorder 7.5.

Someone had asked me for Boom Recorder 7.4 a function to start a new recording (take) while he was recording, there was a special option in the File menu for this. I have modified this function, so you can start a new recording by pressing the "rec" button during recording (you will have to enable this in the preferences).

If one overrides the position of the file number with %f (useful when importing mono files in a program that sorts them alphabetical), the numbering started with 0 instead of 1, this is now fixed in version 7.5.

I removed the number of folders and number of files limitations from the Lite version, because it was confusing.

I've done some more work on the soundlog, it now adds a soundlog.xsl. If you open the soundlog.xml file in Safari it will now shows a table of all the recordings in this session. This is still a useless feature until Boom Recorder can automatically import the audio files from the previous session.

Cheers,

Take Vos