New versions of Boom Recorder

takev

Hello everyone,

Here we go again, a new version.

This time the soundreport.xml is functional, it now remembers the recordings from the previous sessions.

During startup of Boom Recorder it will read all the audio files from the selected folders, it populates the "Sound Log" which you can open with cmd-L. You can now also listen to multi-mono files from previous sessions as well, as it reconstructs the track/channel assignments.

cmd-P opens Safari with the sound-report which you can print out (configure "print background" in the print settings). The sound report contains a line for each recording, but with only the fields filled in for metadata that changes. So if you do multiple takes of the same scene, the scene will only be printed for the first take. This makes the sound report much cleaner, I feel.

But don't worry, in the next version you will be able to specify your own templates. Then you can spend weeks making your own versions. You first have to learn XML, XSLT and CSS first, sorry.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

Here we go again, a new version.

This time the soundreport.xml is functional, it now remembers the recordings from the previous sessions.

During startup of Boom Recorder it will read all the audio files from the selected folders, it populates the "Sound Log" which you can open with cmd-L. You can now also listen to multi-mono files from previous sessions as well, as it reconstructs the track/channel assignments.

cmd-P opens Safari with the sound-report which you can print out (configure "print background" in the print settings). The sound report contains a line for each recording, but with only the fields filled in for metadata that changes. So if you do multiple takes of the same scene, the scene will only be printed for the first take. This makes the sound report much cleaner, I feel.

But don't worry, in the next version you will be able to specify your own templates. Then you can spend weeks making your own versions. You first have to learn XML, XSLT and CSS first, sorry.

Having the sound report is a great thing.  But it has to have all the takes of a given scene separately.  We change our recording config as a scene develops, esp in drama (more/less tracks, etc).

Philip Perkins

Hello Philip,

It has all the takes for each scene separately, it is just that the table is formated in such as way that you can see more easely which takes belong to a scene. All the information of a take is there, such as the date and time of recording, the timecode, duration and a note (if exist).

Sorry, I do not have channel->file assignment in the soundreport.xml, but I will add this. In your own template you could create a full page of data for each take if you wish.

BTW, I've released a bug-fix version, people had problems starting Boom Recorder when there where foreign .wav files in the folder selected by Boom Recorder. I will work on the foreign file problem some more, so you will be able to play most .wav, not just those from Boom Recorder.

Cheers,

Take

Hello everyone,

I've just released another version, sorry about the number of updates in the last few days. The big change has caused some bugs and then my fix caused another bug, one that actually crashed Boom Recorder when stopping a recording. I hope I fixed this in version 7.7.1.

I will not be adding new features for a while, maybe a bug fix here and there.

Cheers,

Take

One more thing, I've added an RSS feed to my website so that customers can get notified of new releases.

Cheers

Fresh out of the gates with 7.7.1 as you know, Take. Tiger upgrade too easy. Why did I wait all this while? Plan to do a fresh OS install when I have more patience. Probably new HD as same time. So far, all is fine. Just tweeking the big picture right now. Details will no doubt unfold as things progress. Pretty cool. Thanks for all your help!

EB

• 3 weeks later...

This new version changes quite a little bit in the preferences panel. First the Folder tab is now gone, you can now select the folders in the patch-bay. The names of the channels now also show in the same patch-bay.

Next I renamed the Hardware tab to Audio and moved the bit depth from the Files tab and the meta data's sample rate. Lastly I added a dither noise field, this may be useful if you record to a lower bit depth than that of the audio interface.

Hello Philip,

TPDF "Triangular Probability Density Function"

It is generated by hashing an counter using MD5, Then take two 32 bit integers from that (converting to a float from -1.0 to 1.0) and add the two floats together, then multiply the result by 0.5 to get the value between -1.0 and 1.0. These values are stored in a long ring buffer.

During recording the values from this dither-ring-buffer are multiplied with the dBFS value you entered using the following calculation: dither * (10 ** (db_level / 20.0)). The result is added to the audio signal.

I am not using noise shaping, because this causes trouble when you are editing audio. At least that is what wikipedia and other sources keep telling me.

Cheers,

Take

This new version includes support for some simple AppleScript, you will be able to start, stop or playback a recording. As well as set and read some standard scene/take fields and the timecode. In the manual I've included an example on how to start Boom Recorder when a specific timecode is reached.

As you see, I've been updating the manual. With this I found that the dithering noise level should be 6 dB higher.

I also fixed some small bugs, you can find more information in the CHANGELOG.TXT file.

Hello everyone,

I've just released Boom Recorder 7.12.

In this new version you can click on the timecode field and it would show the number of sample in a frame, if you click a second time you will see the real sample rate with as reference the timecode signal.

For 48000Hz 30fps, this frame size would be 1600.0 samples, for 48000Hz 24fps, the size would be 2000, for 48000Hz 29.97fps it would be 1601.6.

With this you can measure the drift between sample rate and timecode signal with an accuracy of around 0.02%

Cheers,

Take

Hello Curly,

Yes and No, there was some problem with timestamping the audio file at the end of the recording instead of at the beginning. So the first thing I thought was that it may be caused by drifting. But it the problem was that at the end of the recording I was advancing the ring buffer before I took the timecode, so the timecode was off by that exact amount of the advance.

But I thought it would be useful debugging tool for my customers to see if they got their clocking right. And as you know clocking is a difficult issue. If you do the right thing with file sample rate settings, you can even compensate for the inaccurate sample clock of your interface.

This new version will now jam when the timecode becomes static. This should make the auto start feature work with cameras that send static timecode when not running. It will also help when the timecode stops running before stamping files at end of the recording.

Also in this version is AppleScript support for editing the patch-bay, this is especially useful for system integrators.

• 2 weeks later...

This new version includes a scene list. You can populate the scene list before you start the project. From the main window you can select a scene from the pulldown list, or type in a scene name with auto complete. You can access the new "Scene List" from the "Window" menu.

You can find more information at:

http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/

Cheers,

Take

Hello Ron,

There is a graphic but anoying glitch where the scene field is moving around in the main window, so I will update 7.15.1 tonight.

In 3 or 5 hours from now; I am still at work.

I am thinking of embeding Python in Boom Recorder, so that I can develop much faster and maybe allow internal scripting.

Cheers,

Take

• 4 weeks later...

It took a while, but I've released a new version of Boom Recorder. There are a lot of small fixes and some added functionality.

- Fixed crash with combination LTC and 0 channels.

- Fixed autostart in combination with rec starts new recording feature.

- Fixed bug where Boom Recorder crashes on Intel with writing CAF files, was also a bug on PPC.

- Fixed more default user defaults.

- Fixed to set the number of channels automatically to 2 when registering after expiration of the trail license.

- Added Python scripting language.

- Added Roll 2273 window.

- Added spectrum analyzer window.

- Added Reload button on sound log window.

- Added buttons at bottom of main window to open: the patchbay, scopes, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffrey Colon

Hi Take,

Just downloaded 7.xxx...  Love the spectrum analyzer.  My first spectrum analyzer was a White Instruments 142A... helped me with proper speaker alignment and acoustic treatment in permanent and touring installations... It will be interesting to experiment with narrow Q notch filters in the digital world... comb filtering and bizzare analog behavior made it impossible to notch out very narrow bandwiths back in the transistor age.  It should be interesting to see if I can actually notch out a whining ballast or actor :-)... without effecting the entire spectrum...

Your Product "Rocks"

Thanks

Jeff C.

Hello Jeff,

Let me know if the analyzer is accurate enough.

But I think you need a wider band for a whining actor than for a ballast.

BTW, not only does a ballast whine, but the fluorescent tube itself can make a noise at a very high frequency. I had a summer job designing high frequency (30 kHz, square waveform to run the FETs with less heat) circuits to run fluorescent tubes on for the offshore industry (oil rigs). Basically the electronic circuit replaces the ballast by directly driving the tube, so you can not call it a electronic ballast.

You could actually hear the glass of the tube sing as I was sitting really close to it. I don't know if it was caused by harmonic partials of the circuit, or because of the plasma discharge itself.

Cheers,

Take

Hello everyone,

This version has a lot of changes in the internal structure of Boom Recorder. Most of the changes are not immediately visible, such as the preferences for the patch-bay which should now be much faster, especially when using a lot of channels and files. Because of this change all the preferences for the patch-bay are lost and will need to be reconfigured after installing Boom Recorder.

An other change is in the soundreport.xml handling, this file is now processed through xslt files to generate files such as the soundreport.html and soundreport.csv (the original CSV generator has been removed). You can override these templates with your own templates by pointing Boom Recorder to your own template folder. As this also has changed the iXML generator you may want to check with post if the metadata is correctly written.

The audio files are now also renamed at the end of the recording when you change the metadata during the recording.

For more information see:

http://www.vosgames.nl/

Cheers,

Take

This version has a lot of changes in the internal structure of Boom Recorder. Most of the changes are not immediately visible

The audio files are now also renamed at the end of the recording when you change the metadata during the recording.

Cheers,

Take

Wonderful changes, as always, to BoomRecorder --- it just keeps getting better and better. One minor change I noticed is to the program ICON for BoomRecorder : it looks different and if you click on the HOLE in the middle of the reel it doesn't highlight --- you have to click somewhere else on the hub. Interesting, but strange.

Keep up the good work (but get some rest!).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hello Jeff,

The icon is different, it used to be a photo of a reel, this one I have drawn myself using inkscape (a program similar to Adobe Illustrator). I am not sure, but I think the hole in the middle was never active.

A colleague of mine told me the old icon had some black stuff around it and Apple wants all developers to make icons of the size 512 x 512. So it was time to design a new icon.

Cheers,

Take