DPA 4017C VS SEHNNHEISER MKH50

pierrecarlier

The answer depends entirely on the acoustics of the room you use the microphone in. The words to search for are 'Critical Distance'. The point of critical distance in a room is the point where the level of the direct sound (from a source) and the reverberant sound are equal. This point, in any room, may well be altered by the pickup charcteristics of the microphone you are using/testing.

In practice, your ears will usually tell you what distance between actor and microphone, in a particular room, 'sounds right'. Closer than this point sounds 'nicer', and further away than this point feels 'a bit too far away'. Use your ears Luke, it's like The Force.

Kindest, Simon B

With the mkh60 you can be very high in ext, room or whatever...

With my km185 in interior i cant have a nice sound if i m too high.The sound seems too far..

With a mkh50 i can be higher than km185 for a very good résult 

I dont know the DPA....

Just tell me if this microphone 4017c can be high or not to take à good and nice voice.

I need a nice micro for interior because the mkh60 take reverb by his back side.

Thank you

I haven't used the DPA but many people say the 4017 sounds similar to Schoeps' CMIT. That means, they work well outside and also inside as long as the ceilings aren't too low and there aren't too many reflections. MKH50 for interiors is great, if you already have a 60 for exteriors that's what I'd recommend.

I have both 4017c and MKH50. Did a series all indoors and we tried the 4017 a few times on wide shots and found that it often picked up more reflections than the mkh50. Which makes sense since it's a shotgun. 

For closer framing it sounds amazing and it's a perfect interview mic for talking heads indoors and outdoors. Outdoors I was surprised at how much reach the 4017 has.