SCHOEPS CUT60

Masaki Hatsui

Hi Masaki,

Yes I have one and use it every time I use my ms stereo schoeps ccm rig on the ccm8 channel as this mic is more sensitive to 'handling' noise. It does a great job of cutting out (attenuating) the lower frequencies. 

As the filter is a steeper than that of my mixer (633) it does a better job of tempering lower frequency handling noise.

It has been available for quite a few years. I love it, it's expensive.

9 hours ago, Masaki Hatsui said:

No problem Mr Soundwil !

Seems like an item for the next purchase (even though I have a CUT1...).

Any cons to mention? RFI weakness??

Masaki

No cons apart from length (physical size).

It's always been at bag/cart end so RFI has never been an issue.

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

Ok, what are we talking about now? The XLR version or the screw-on thingy?

if I got this right, the original question was about the short screw-in-between filter (CUT 60) and Soundwil gave his opinion about the XLR version (LC 60 U).  

specs on both:
http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/lc/specs
http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/cut60/specs

and the curves (afaik the CUT 60 is the same as the CUT 1 on default settings)
Schoeps_Manual_CUT-090301_1388735774.pdf
Schoeps-Manual_LC_03-2009.pdf

so the CUT 60 is 24dB per octave (not sure if 3rd order or 4th) and before the mic-preamp and the LC 60 U is 18dB per octave (3rd order) and after mic-preamp (but can be used with any mics). probably both do a very nice 

haven't used either of them (but planning to buy one, so curious about real world experience too)

It doesn't happen often but having the cut filter before the amplifier body can really save a recording in a challenging environment. 

I recorded an interview in a school recently where we had to use a science lab that was close to some large mechanical works. The kind of low frequency rumble you can feel. I did not own a cut 1 at the time and I was pretty much ready to tell the producer the sound would be unusable if we didn't change rooms when I remembered there was another mixer on the shoot that day who did have a cut1 on his Schoeps. I installed his cut1 and immediately the sound went from horrendous rumble-fest to acceptable (certainly workable for post at least). 

Before the cut1 flew in you could hear the rumble kind of like overdriving the mic. Hard to describe.

That is a rare case but it will help you everyday with boom handling, wind, city ambience, planes. Etc. 

After that shoot I ordered a CUT60 immediately. This after years of using my Schoeps with no filter and being pretty much happy with it and the roll off at the mixer. 

The CUT60 is great.. cheaper than the CUT1, smaller, lighter, no roll-off wheel to bump.

PS.. you can leave the CUT60 installed and still fit the whole mic inside the small Schoeps wood case. This is an important detail if you ask me...; )

if I got this right, the original question was about the short screw-in-between filter (CUT 60) and Soundwil gave his opinion about the XLR version (LC 60 U).  

Yes, I got that. But then Masaki asked another question, presumably about the Cut60, and Soundwil apparently answered about the LC 60, again.
It's important now in this topic, to clearly state what you are talking about, especially as the question is pertinent to both products, and it's interesting to hear about both of them

15 hours ago, Constantin said:

Yes, I got that. But then Masaki asked another question, presumably about the Cut60, and Soundwil apparently answered about the LC 60, again.
It's important now in this topic, to clearly state what you are talking about, especially as the question is pertinent to both products, and it's interesting to hear about both of them

Yep, agreed. Sorry about the confusion in the first place. My bad.