Nagra IV-S Please help me :)

bsgd

Hello all,

New to the forum, but it just seems to be the perfect place to get the help I need.

I have recently acquired a Nagra IV-S recorder in unknown condition. Its missing a few parts, but Im slowly restoring it. Problem is, I've reached a point where I need the service manual in PDF to finish the work, but I just can't seem to find it anywhere. I contacted Nagra, but they told be they do not have the CD with the manual anymore for sale, nor can they send me a printed copy.

I have contacted Steve George and Dan Dugan but they also couldn't help me. 

I really dont wanna trash this beautiful piece of equipment, and I know someone out there must have this manual, so I'm asking for help here, in case someone can help me.

Thank you guys!

They are extremely rare, why not just send your Nagra to Steve George.

Location Sound may be able to help. Ask for Mike Paul. 1-800-228-4429. Last time I saw him he had all the manual. You may only need part of the Nagra Service Manual. Reproducing some of the schematics may help. Another possibility would be Trew Audio. Cheers

On 16/11/2016 at 1:07 AM, Clay Reeves said:

Aloha, I went on the Internet for you and found the following. They say they have 4S service manuals on PDF file

www.sharefx.com.

search their files for Nagra

Hello,

I tried there but could only find the owners manual, not the service manual.

On 16/11/2016 at 3:36 AM, mikewest said:

What part of the manual do you need

mike

I need the alinment/calibration instructions, both mechanical and electrical. My unit works now, but recording quality is not good.

On 16/11/2016 at 0:41 AM, Clay Reeves said:

They are extremely rare, why not just send your Nagra to Steve George.

Location Sound may be able to help. Ask for Mike Paul. 1-800-228-4429. Last time I saw him he had all the manual. You may only need part of the Nagra Service Manual. Reproducing some of the schematics may help. Another possibility would be Trew Audio. Cheers

I did contact Steve George, but I cannot send the unit to him. I live in Brazil, and we have a huge import taxes even for units sent abroad for repair. I once sent an HP 8903B for repair and calibration was charged more than 5.000 USD. It would be much cheaper to just buy a new Nagra from eBay, and thats why Im fixing it myself. I do have the tools and knowlegde for the job :) 

1 hour ago, Last Rites Films said:

I would contact Forrest at Trew Audio in Burbank. He repaired my IV-STC, and I'm sure he referenced the manual to do so. Another good guy to try is Fred Ginsburg at www.filmtvsound.com (he may also be a member here on JWSound, but can't remember). He wrote the book on the Nagra... literally.

Thank you, I sent them an e-mail. Lets hope and pray they do have this saved somewhere!

13 hours ago, Clay Reeves said:

Aloha these are really good sources, Forrest and Fred Ginsburg are very well qualified to help.

Yes, problem is they told me to contact Steve George. I have been in contact with him for the last week but Nagra does not offer the manual any longer and he hasnt been able to help so far.

Just to make things clear, Im not trying to find this for free or save a few bucks. So far I havent been able to find the PDF manual at all, not even for a million dollars :(.

Aloha, I have the Nagra 4S service manual. It is not for sale or loan. However I would be willing to copy a few of the pages to help you with your project.  The manual starts with the mechanical section and then the electrical section. Any adjustments or calibrations appear in these sections. I have no idea how they could be sent to you. I wander if USPS goes to Brazil. Anyway please advise if this will help you.

7 hours ago, Clay Reeves said:

Aloha, I have the Nagra 4S service manual. It is not for sale or loan. However I would be willing to copy a few of the pages to help you with your project.  The manual starts with the mechanical section and then the electrical section. Any adjustments or calibrations appear in these sections. I have no idea how they could be sent to you. I wander if USPS goes to Brazil. Anyway please advise if this will help you.

Hello,

This would be great, and these pages are all I need. Yes, USPS delivers here. Actually USPS delivers to  ECT (Brazilian postal service) and they will deliver it to me haha... but as Constantin suggested, it would be easier to just scan or even take pictures (with those smartphone scanning apps) and send them to my email address. I know my iphone takes great scan pictures and the app automatically saves them all in a single PDF and emails it. If you have a smartphone, it shouldnt take more than 5 minutes to scan several pages. Since these are basically text pages with a few pictures, it should be pretty easy to read them without the need of a huge resolution.

This would really help me.

38 minutes ago, Clay Reeves said:

Aloha, I just sent you 15 pages from the Nagra 4S service manual. Hope this helps

Clay, that was very nice of you. I have taken a look at the pages and they will certainly help!

If you ever need anything I can help you with, let me know :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Folks, just a little heads up: Steve from Remote Audio got back to me and managed to get me the service manual I needed for a fair price. He was very helpful!

Once again I appreciate all the help from the Nagra community : )

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2016 at 6:20 AM, bsgd said:

Clay, that was very nice of you. I have taken a look at the pages and they will certainly help!

If you ever need anything I can help you with, let me know :)

Hi bsgd, I'm looking this service manual too, would you like forward the information to my email? I'v posted a message to you, thanks.