Zaxcom TRXFB3

Jeff Wexler

I just saw the announcement of the TRXFB3, not a product that I was even aware of but seems like it could be very useful for those situations where talent cueing is needed.

Zaxcom-TRXFB3.jpg

- from Zaxcom website:

Transmit, Receive, Record, Customize.
Back by popular demand and taking on an all new form, this single bodypack transmits audio via UHF and receives an IFB audio feed received over ZaxNet’s 2.4 GHz signal at the same time. It replaces the need for talent to wear both a wireless microphone pack and an IFB receiver. There’s also a user programmable key at the top of the transceiver that can use used for functions such as a mute switch or push to talk key.

The TRXFB3 wide-band transceiver is still packed full of your favorite Zaxcom features - built-in backup recording, remote control, NeverClip™, PowerRoll™ and of course, our new ZHD transmission.

Learn more at zaxcom.com/trxfb3 

I'd quite like a TX that has a loud built-in speaker so you can cue them from a distance.  I was doing something a few weeks back on a very large cargo crane, filming with a drone, where cueing the talent had to be done over a mobile phone.  Pressing a button on the mixer so that they might hear my voice would have worked a lot better.

I'd love this for workout videos. Right now I have IFBs feeding the participants music and Txs on the people who are giving instructions. Having two boxes on one body can really cause issues (comfort, interference, etc.) so I'm pretty excited to give this a try. Curious how much more expensive it is than a regular TRX though...

my unit arrived last week and I am looking forward to using it.  in my market,  there is a 1st ad that likes to listen to the ifb all the time and often uses a "voice of god".  eliminating one pack means one less unit clipped to his belt.  my other application is using it with costumes or prosthetic devices that make it difficult for an actor to listen to cues from other actors. I can send that actor the lines from all the other actors in that scene.  where size is not an issue,  it is simply another transmitter that I can use.  the only downside for sets that I have been working on is how many things are running on 2.4ghz.  I have been working on sets with a lot of crane use,  and I find the telex coms that the crane crew and grips working with them, interfere with my zax ifb units.  getting complaints from video village is a huge drag since I have 20 ifb receivers....

• 1 month later...

Just curious. Do you think this is a good replacement to getting TRXLA and LT's as an "all-in-one"? I know that it all depends on the situation and amount of work you do but if say you were trying to make a more efficient upgrade of gear and had a budget do you think this could be an interesting product to have as some transmitters for talent and maybe use one or two for IFB situations? I guess I am wondering how much pro vs. con is this product compared to the other transmitters and ERX's from Zaxcom. I apologize for the poorly worded question but I figured the worst I'll get is some funny comments. Thanks all of you. 

Zaxcom just added a new feature. You can now output TC via the 3.5mm.

What would be a useful application for that? I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking about

AGinzo: I think it depends on your work. Somebody doing news may often have a wired reporter wearing an IFB, so this is perfect for them. It could be part of a wireless boom setup too.
Being slightly larger, and not much more money, it may be worth having one around. I'd definitely consider it when I'm buying more transmitters. It could be a normal transmitter day to day.

22 hours ago, johnpaul215 said:

What would be a useful application for that? I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking about

AGinzo: I think it depends on your work. Somebody doing news may often have a wired reporter wearing an IFB, so this is perfect for them. It could be part of a wireless boom setup too.
Being slightly larger, and not much more money, it may be worth having one around. I'd definitely consider it when I'm buying more transmitters. It could be a normal transmitter day to day.

Yes. Kind of in a sense what I'm thinking. I think I might consider these more when I get closer to pulling the trigger. 

26 minutes ago, Jack Norflus said:

The TRXFB3 can only output either audio or tc - you can't do both simultaneously. To do both at the same time you would need an ERX.

Well, that does make for a slight con to the product but in all honesty I don't always get requests to have both and/or I will be purchasing a separate TC device such as a Tentacle to deliver TC to camera. However, now I'm back to pondering a decision. Still a cool product. 

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone!

First time poster here...

I thought the TRXFB3 might be useful for a Director or Producer making verbal notes (as long as they remember to press the button!) and getting an IFB feed to them as well...another channel to record but could be useful for Post? 

The only issue I have is, as with all my Zaxnet 2.4GHz equipment, I am running into interference from wireless Camera & Video when distance between the transmitter and the IFB receiver becomes too far. So for my critical/main client audio feed I have the RX200 go to Video Village - which solves most of my issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 8/11/2017 at 12:05 PM, Glen Deakin said:

Audio and tc can be outputted at the same time. Ver 1.58. 

Hey Glen - I just spoke with Zaxcom technical support and they’re saying that it is only possible to output Audio or Timecode, not both - have you used it and been able to use both? The manual doesn’t seem to say so and it also seems to not be listed in the Ver1.58 revision notes either.