Zaxcom STA042 AES42 Mic Input Won't Work

MartinTheMixer

Has anyone figured out how to get the STA042 Zaxcom adapter to actually work with an aes42 mic?

If you use an adapter to provide power to the mic, such as the psd2u Schoeps, then that also converts the signal to AES3. Now, apparently, the STA042 won't accept aes3, so now you have power to the mic, but no way to get the signal into the STA042. Has anyone figured out how to make the STA042 do Aes42?

Thank you.

I don't use my sta042 to power anything. As far as I know it was just to get an aes signal into a trx900.  If it can do something other then that it would to me be a bonus. 

7 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Glen, Thanks. Are you saying the Schoeps Psd2 won't power the mic , or the sta042? The psd2u is supplying power, but STA042 was advertised as working with aes42 mics. So, how does this happen?

Thank You, Martin

Sta042. 

4 hours ago, rich said:

are you using external power via the STA042?
i dimly remember something about that being needed.

Rich, I didn't try that, because I just wanted to see if it worked at all, then I was going to sort out the powering part later. I didn't think it would be possible for the sta042 circuit to figure out that I didn't have external power connected. Maybe it does know. Thank you, Martin

15 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

I don't use my sta042 to power anything. As far as I know it was just to get an aes signal into a trx900.  If it can do something other then that it would to me be a bonus. 

Sta042. 

Glen, It was advertised as being able to use with an aes42 mic, but apparently it can't, that was a mistake. But, It sure seems that if I can get power to the mic, without having that device turn the signal into something other than aes42, it will work. Thank you, Martin

1 hour ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Rich, I didn't try that, because I just wanted to see if it worked at all, then I was going to sort out the powering part later. I didn't think it would be possible for the sta042 circuit to figure out that I didn't have external power connected. Maybe it does know. Thank you, Martin

Glen, It was advertised as being able to use with an aes42 mic, but apparently it can't, that was a mistake. But, It sure seems that if I can get power to the mic, without having that device turn the signal into something other than aes42, it will work. Thank you, Martin

I honestly never read the advertisement.  I got it to just take a aes signal out of my 633. Like I said if it can do more that would be a freaking nice bonus. If not meh. 

But if your powering a nice separately and going into the 042 after that should work. Have you used it with just a aes signal out of a mix/ recorder?  Perhaps if your not getting anything it's faulty?  

3 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

I honestly never read the advertisement.  I got it to just take a aes signal out of my 633. Like I said if it can do more that would be a freaking nice bonus. If not meh. 

But if your powering a nice separately and going into the 042 after that should work. Have you used it with just a aes signal out of a mix/ recorder?  Perhaps if your not getting anything it's faulty?  

Glen, That's interesting, you me realize something I hadn't thought about. That's how I originally tested the sta042 was with a digital out from the Nomad. So I think, unless I'm wrong,  that tells us right there it will work with an AES3, correct?

20 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

What does zaxcom have to say about this?

Zaxcom says it was a mistake. 

The STA042 was never designed to work directly with non-powered AES42 mics. It was designed as a generic AES input device for a audio mixer to connect to the TRX900AA in a sound bag. It is compatible with the AES output from all AES42 mics. A connected mic would require a separate power supply if you wanted to use it with the STA042.

Glenn

10 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

They should have labeled it the sta003

Glen, Well, the label doesn't matter to me as much as claiming that it works with AES42 mics, but if it won't, your right.

Thank you, Martin 

4 minutes ago, glenn said:

The STA042 was never designed to work directly with non-powered AES42 mics. It was designed as a generic AES input device for a audio mixer to connect to the TRX900AA in a sound bag. It is compatible with the AES output from all AES42 mics. A connected mic would require a separate power supply if you wanted to use it with the STA042.

Glenn

Glenn, My mic is not "non-powered". It is powered as referenced above. The reason I bought the STA04w was because it was advertised as working with AES42 mics, which I guess it can't. Maybe someone can figure out how to do this. Glen Deakin made me realize something, it will work with AES3 out of a mixer, so why won't it work with the AES3 out of the Schoeps PSD2U? How can the STA042 know that it is a signal from the mixer vs. an AES3 out of a mic? AES3 is AES3, right? 

Sincerely, Martin 

8 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Derek, well, that is one solution. Do you have any other ideas that DON'T result in me spending a couple thousand dollars? Think harder. Be the professor on Gilligan's Island.

I suspect that sarcasm laced hostility may not be the best way to respond to folks who are offering their input.

But then, I've been wrong before, and I imagine I will be again, so even if I'm wrong about being wrong, that proves me right.

36 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

I suspect that sarcasm laced hostility may not be the best way to respond to folks who are offering their input.

But then, I've been wrong before, and I imagine I will be again, so even if I'm wrong about being wrong, that proves me right.

John, You don't know me. Obviously. I can't see where there could possibly be any hostility in my response. You came up with the most obvious solution, but I can't imagine anyone could read hostility in a response that includes a Gilligan's Island reference. That show was a comedy in case you've never seen it. As far as the sarcasm part, recommending spending thousands of dollars to fix a problem, isn't very practical, especially when I already bought something that was supposed to work. If I needed brakes on my car, buying a new car would fix the problem, but that is not what this post is. 

Thank you, Martin 

25 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

John, You don't know me. Obviously. I can't see where there could possibly be any hostility in my response. You came up with the most obvious solution, but I can't imagine anyone could read hostility in a response that includes a response that includes a Gilligan's Island reference. That show was a comedy in case you've never seen it. As far as the sarcasm part, recommending spending thousands of dollars to fix a problem, isn't very practical, especially when I already bought something that was supposed to work. If I needed brakes on my car, buying a new car would fix the problem, but that is not what this post is. 

From your perspective I was apparently right about being wrong again, but I was merely commenting on how it came across to me.

If invoking a sitcom insulates one from any perception of a negative nature, allow me to say, "Home Improvement."

20 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

From your perspective I was apparently right about being wrong again, but I was merely commenting on how it came across to me.

If invoking a sitcom insulates one from any perception of a negative nature, allow me to say, "Home Improvement."

"Home Improvement" was negative? Well no one notified this office. Ok, figure out how to make this  work.

I don't use the schoeps power supply so can't say for sure on the part of the power supply. Is there switches which set the output clock? If I remember correctly the sta042 should be able to take a clock up to 96k but don't quote me on that. I use mine at 48k. There are no settings on the trx900. It's done at the source.