Bernie, you ok?

Joshua Anderson

No wonder I felt like I got hit by a car!  Its a good thing he didn't hit me full on, I might not be typing this.  I can see my glasses against his number in the freeze frame.  Never did find the right bow.  I looked for it at half time but it might still be stuck in his shoulder pad.:)  I finished the game and had an early call on Monday morning.  I credit ice and ibuprofen for getting me through.  Those headphones cushioned my head pretty well as I didn't get much of a head knock.

I've done this job for at least 20 years and I really enjoy it!  Its officially a utility position but its fun and my sound guy experience gives me a unique dedication to getting the best sound possible with that parab.  I made a rash decision to get to the other side quickly because my IFB hadn't been working and after I finally got faxed I was hustling to get over to the other side of the field to get into position.  I didn't realize we were so close to the run out and thought I could make it before anyone came out.  I couldn't see anyone in the tunnel and there were no security guards anywhere in sight so I went for it.  I really should have just gone around the back of the Viking ship and I would have been fine.  Lesson learned!  I'm not a rookie but I made a rookie mistake.  I understand it was all over the world and on many shows but its frankly embarassing and as a freelancer its not the kind of notoriety I would like to have.  

I'll be getting a more thorough check out today and several vendors have offered me glasses!  Especially Lens Crafters since Joe Buck made the suggestion I'd be heading there.  I really am thankful it wasn't worse and I was able to carry on.  I've gotten so many kind messages from everyone and I really having something to celebrate this Thanksgiving!

I was on an NFL sideline one time.  I WAS a rookie!  All I heard about pre-game was watch out for the Chapman crane.  No shit!  That thing flies up and down the sideline and nobody with it gives a f**k whether someone is in its way or not.  Lucky for me I was never run over. Tough job out there and while I went "whoaaaa" when I saw the clip, the hit on Bernie was real.  Glad to hear you are okay, more or less.  Keep doing that great work.  I love the sound on NFL and it keeps getting better every year.

BTW, in the "good old days,": when I was an A1 in NYC, we did the biggest pro events with half a dozen EFX mics.  How many nowadays, including wiring up the players?  More than six I'd  guess.

D.

Glad you're OK! I've also been the utility guy with the parabolic mic before (going back to my live TV days in the 1970s), and while I never got hit, I did fall to the ground a couple of times when I went one way and my cables went another, or somebody in the area stood on our cables. At least it wasn't raining and in the mud!

On November 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM, cmassey said:

I dunno Bernie....in that still you sorta look like you are trying to tackle him!!!!!!!  But good news you are OK!!!!!!!!!

My hands were full otherwise maybe......  Have you heard about my new web show?  I hear its a huge hit!

On November 22, 2016 at 10:39 PM, old school said:

Really incredible video clip. What did it sound like? See if they have an iso track from your mic rig. Your my hero B B. Not many who could get up off the canvas after a hit like that.  Please be sure to follow up with your doctor(s)...  Happy T Bird Day.

CrewC

Thanks Crew,

I don't think there would be an iso of my mic.  The parabs/goal post mics and cable cam mic are all sub mixed.  He opens up the parabs as needed and since that was officially pre game the parabs would have been down.  I have a volume control for my mic alone and it was up but it didn't sound like much.  Just a loud clatter or clunk as the handles and cross bar came off and the dish hit the ground.  I use a four point strap (Portabrace) and I'm glad I wasn't wearing it at the time.  That would have been bad.

I saw my doctor and I have a lower back sprain and a sore couple of ribs in the back.  No head trauma that he could notice.  Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

+1  I'm so glad you're okay, Now-Famous-Bernie.

Yesterday I walked into a local restaurant where I'm known and the first thing the fella behind the counter asked me was, "Hey, did you know that sound guy...?" 

-----

Echoing to all, the obvious, but not to be forgotten:  Situational awareness is important at all public events and absolutely critical if you cover auto racing.

3 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

+1  I'm so glad you're okay, Now-Famous-Bernie.

Yesterday I walked into a local restaurant where I'm known and the first thing the fella behind the counter asked me was, "Hey, did you know that sound guy...?" 

-----

Echoing to all, the obvious, but not to be forgotten:  Situational awareness is important at all public events and absolutely critical if you cover auto racing.

Situational awareness is so important as you say John!  My rash decision to hurry across that tunnel almost cost me more than a sore body.  All to save a few minutes.  I've been out on the football field during warm ups or post game so many times swinging a boom without any close calls.  I got a care package from an advertising agency that happened to be promoting railroad safety.  The tag line is:  If you wouldn't want to be hit by a charging defensive lineman, you definitely don't want to be hit by a freight train.  They sent me a bunch of branded items and some band aids, cold packs, and a bed serving tray. They appreciated me demonstrating the concept so emphatically.

12 minutes ago, Jose Frias said:

Bernie, you continue to be my hero! Best to you and yours. I'm glad your ok!

Thanks so much Jose'!

On November 22, 2016 at 9:44 AM, John Blankenship said:

So glad you're OK, Bernie!  That's what matters.

Thanks JB!  I really appreciate that!

• 1 month later...

Here's a clip of a CBS parab person getting knocked down.  I know you were all wondering what my collision sounded like and it would have been something like this.  http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/01/robert-griffin-iii-runs-over-sound-guy-sideline-video I did the last game of the season on Sunday and the PR guy for the Vikings presented me with an autographed pair of game gloves from Brian Robison (96) and a large photo signed by him and Linval Joseph (98).  I was also the ESPN Not Top Ten for the year, and was part of the year's NFL top fails list.  Good times!  

I did get free glasses and eye exam from Lenscrafters as well as another pair from OG Eyewear.