Rode buys Soundfield

Sixnon

I hope that not destroy the actual microphones, but the capsules of the SPS200 are MBHO (Other company) (IMMO a SPS200 with NT5 capsules would be a disaster). 

My concern about the Ambeo is the poor capsules that have, the same capsules as the e914 (IMMO an awful sounding mic). Please a MKH ambisonic, (Would be expensive 4000$)

16 hours ago, ramallo said:

I hope that not destroy the actual microphones, but the capsules of the SPS200 are MBHO (Other company) (IMMO a SPS200 with NT5 capsules would be a disaster). 

My concern about the Ambeo is the poor capsules that have, the same capsules as the e914 (IMMO an awful sounding mic). Please a MKH ambisonic, (Would be expensive 4000$)

This is confirmed somewhere Ramallo? I was unable to glean any information on capsules from the company or the retailer here where the Ambeo is in "preorder" status with a RRP of around $3300 AUD. Price seems very inflated if these are the capsules used. There's remarkably little information, samples etc for a product in production and shipping.

This is confirmed somewhere Ramallo? I was unable to glean any information on capsules from the company or the retailer here where the Ambeo is in "preorder" status with a RRP of around $3300 AUD. Price seems very inflated if these are the capsules used. There's remarkably little information, samples etc for a product in production and shipping.

The capsule KE14 is mentioned on the Ambeo page linked in the first post. I believe, too, that it is the e914 capsule, but can't find a Sennheiser confirmation

On 23.11.2016 at 10:28 AM, IronFilm said:

Niiiiice, looking forward to RODE releasing a very affordably priced ambisonic microphone?

There's is one from Oktava that's kinda affordable, and in my book the Oktava capsules sound waaaay better than the Rodes.

http://www.oktava-shop.com/Small-and-medium-diaphragm-condenser-mics/Oktava-MK-012-01-12.html

10 hours ago, Sixnon said:

From the Ambeo page "AMBEO® VR Mic is an ambisonic microphone fitted with four matched KE 14

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Sennheiser/e914

1 hour ago, Christian Spaeth said:

There's is one from Oktava that's kinda affordable, and in my book the Oktava capsules sound waaaay better than the Rodes.

http://www.oktava-shop.com/Small-and-medium-diaphragm-condenser-mics/Oktava-MK-012-01-12.html

Too far apart the capsules, probably bad frequency response. Isn't cheap, the price is for the body, you need buy 4 capsules (Matched)

43 minutes ago, VAS said:

TSL has turned down the SurroundZone 2 plug-in after the announcement.

Turn down all the Soundfield pages

19 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Rode makes good stuff, so they know what good stuff is.  I'm sure they bought SF because the SF rep is first class, so I bet they leave the high-end alone and maybe use some of the SF technology to make a cheaper less- great Rode-brand 4 cap mic, now that this kind of recording is so wildly fashionable. 

I would bet on this prediction.

17 hours ago, Constantin said:

The capsule KE14 is mentioned on the Ambeo page linked in the first post. I believe, too, that it is the e914 capsule, but can't find a Sennheiser confirmation

Yes, thanks Constantin, I could not find reference to that capsule elsewhere on other mics in my initial search. Now that I see the information on the recording hack page that Ramallo linked to, I see it's a 14mm capsule. When I asked the local retailer details of the capsule "is it something like a 20mm small condenser capsule?" "yeah something around that" was the response.

8 hours ago, ramallo said:

From the Ambeo page "AMBEO® VR Mic is an ambisonic microphone fitted with four matched KE 14

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Sennheiser/e914

Too far apart the capsules, probably bad frequency response. Isn't cheap, the price is for the body, you need buy 4 capsules (Matched)

Turn down all the Soundfield pages

Safe to say there's nothing really innovative here and (given that the RRP of the e914 is less than $400) pricing is more reflective of market fashion than technological merit?

7 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

I would bet on this prediction.

Jose did you have any chance to work with the Audeze Tetrahedral you mentioned when I raised the subject of the Sennheiser "VR" mic some months back?

2 hours ago, Sixnon said:

Jose did you have any chance to work with the Audeze Tetrahedral you mentioned when I raised the subject of the Sennheiser "VR" mic some months back?

Hey, I have not, unfortunately. The mic does look very promising, but I don't know that I would be able to use it on location. It does look quite bigger than my SPS200, and while I haven't had anyone give me any fight with using the SPS200 on the VR / 360 shoots I do, I personally wish it was even smaller (without obviously sacrificing sound - I know, tall order) for easier concealing and/or stitching in post.

Have you tried it? Have you compared it to any of the other common tetrahedral mics? Thoughts? Sample recordings?

5 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

Have you tried it? Have you compared it to any of the other common tetrahedral mics? Thoughts? Sample recordings?

No, haven't tried it. Audeze have pricing information but the Australian distributor of the impression that it's not even in production as yet. I remain interested as at least it appears to be an innovation. I know that planar magnetic contact systems are very good, so am intrigued to see how this sounds. You're out of luck viz size as the capsule, according to the what promotional material exists, is 100mm! No sample recordings that I know of, it strikes me as strange that these manufacturers do not make more effort in this regard. If one is forking over 3-4k for a mic, knowing a little how it sounds quite important, no?

15 hours ago, Sixnon said:

Safe to say there's nothing really innovative here and (given that the RRP of the e914 is less than $400) pricing is more reflective of market fashion than technological merit?

On the Sennheiser website they list the price of the e914 at 427€, I believe. The Ambeo is listed at 1779€. So the Ambeo is only a little bit more expensive than 4 e914s, which I'd say isn't too bad...

21 hours ago, Sixnon said:

No, haven't tried it. Audeze have pricing information but the Australian distributor of the impression that it's not even in production as yet. I remain interested as at least it appears to be an innovation. I know that planar magnetic contact systems are very good, so am intrigued to see how this sounds. You're out of luck viz size as the capsule, according to the what promotional material exists, is 100mm! No sample recordings that I know of, it strikes me as strange that these manufacturers do not make more effort in this regard. If one is forking over 3-4k for a mic, knowing a little how it sounds quite important, no?

100mm?, impressed, very heavy membrane for a microphone (Probably good for a light sub kick):mellow: 

On 26/11/2016 at 0:44 AM, Constantin said:

n the Sennheiser website they list the price of the e914 at 427€, I believe. The Ambeo is listed at 1779€. So the Ambeo is only a little bit more expensive than 4 e914s, which I'd say isn't too bad...

I calculated based on the recording hacks i.e. US rrp and the rrp for the Ambeo in Australia (I couldn't find a local price for e914 in my initial searches) and it works out to about $1200 AUD more than four e914's. I appreciate that the European retail of the Ambeo is less. 

On 26/11/2016 at 1:33 PM, ramallo said:

100mm?, impressed, very heavy membrane for a microphone (Probably good for a light sub kick):mellow: 

There it is in their ad copy..

Think you have a large diaphragm condenser microphone? Not so much anymore! At 100mm diameter Audeze’s new mics give the phrase “large diaphragm” a whole new meaning.

Does raise the question of where to place it in VR situations, as Jose mentioned.