ProgressiveDrum

Waves Broadcast and Production

15 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone has any input of the Waves products offered for post work, compared to iZotopes RX5.

Thanks for your time in advance. 

Used an earlier version of RX in the past and didn't care for it but RX 5 is fantastic. We fired waves also:). Once Izotope figured out the workflow to make RX available in Protools as a standalone application (RX connect and monitor) it became a wonderful tool to use.

FWIW, RX also does automatic round-trips in Nuendo. I love that I can use the same RX algorithms as a clip-based VST process, on a channel insert, and with the Connect passing to the full-on app. You can apply as much or as little tweaking as you think an element requires. Flexibility is a good thing.

Not to derail the thread too much but I do have a question for other RX users. I had RX 3 and really found it not very useful at all. Tasks that apparently worked like magic on the Youtube demos eluded me. When we bought RX 5 advanced I was skeptical but quickly learned that it was doing pretty much what I wanted it to do. I used RX 3 as plug-ins in audio suite and RX 5 as stand-alone. Am I imagining things or is the processing quality of the RX 5 advancedstand alone mode vastly superior to the plug in version?

IIRC (my studio is temporarily down), RX5 gives you a lot more automatic, learning, and self-configuring options. So depending on which UI you're using, it could very well be that RX5 has better processing... even if the underlying algorithms are similar.

1 hour ago, Jay Rose said:

IIRC (my studio is temporarily down), RX5 gives you a lot more automatic, learning, and self-configuring options. So depending on which UI you're using, it could very well be that RX5 has better processing... even if the underlying algorithms are similar.

Yeah, I used RX 3 as plug in and use RX5 advanced as standalone (due to the improved workflow) and those automatic, learning and self-configuring options are definitely great but I noticed that in RX 3 spectral repair was not happening for me the way I expected. However, in RX 5 spectral repair works great  and I can get there fast. Hence my suspicion that it could make a difference if I run standalone vs plug in but I haven't tested spectral repair as a plug in yet, had no reason to until this question popped into my head. 

I'd suspect the difference you're experiencing is more due to the advancements in the software between RX version 3 and RX version 5 than it is due to the difference between standalone and plugin formats. 

-Mike

For audio restoration, there's nothing as good as RX. But I love my Waves Renaissance EQ and Comps.

22 hours ago, Lachlancampbell said:

For audio restoration, there's nothing as good as RX. But I love my Waves Renaissance EQ and Comps.

There actually is, but its quite a bit more expensive. But to your point, Izotope is closing the gap by leaps and bounds. Partly by buying the tech from the ones ahead of them. Cedar

8 hours ago, Jason A said:

There actually is, but its quite a bit more expensive. But to your point, Izotope is closing the gap by leaps and bounds. Partly by buying the tech from the ones ahead of them. Cedar

Yeah, good point. They've made the tools very accessible. 

RX FTW. Works well in Adobe Audition too. I prefer the round trip option via RX Connect and use standalone application.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk