Ultimate portable stereo recorder

bary555

First of all I'd like to say HI! to all of you:)

I'd like to share my kind-of-DIY. Lately the internal mics of my D50 broke (Sony says there are no parts left and only solution is to buy a D100...), so I had to come up with something...

The parts:

D50 - SD302 - LineAudio CM3

Enjoy!

IMG_20161025_162757_2.jpg

IMG_20161025_173026.jpg

IMG-20160927-WA0000.jpeg

13 hours ago, Mark Vesterskov said:

Haha, Philip! True, it does look a bit like a set designers wet sci-fi-dream. 

I'm working on a high quality stereo rig, to be small enough to carry everywhere, and I'm searching for a good, low-noise, high quality two-channel mic preamp, that is smaller than the 302.. Any ideas?

http://www.audioroot.fr/product/femto/

+1 with MixPreD 

I also wish sometimes it had a REC button !

Also; there's two more Tape inputs (so: ins 3&4) you could use + USB interface for computer (both Win and Mac) + M/S matrix on the unit.

I so much wish this compact Lectro recorder had two inputs...

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 2:50 AM, Gerard-NYNY said:

Just bought it, and did my first test-recording of the fireworks yesterday. So far I'm really happy with it, it sounds great.

My only two cents of annoyance are, that the pots are too loose and undented, so it is hard to set a stereo pair of mics to the exact same level. I'm considering modding it to add a stereo link button.

The VU meters i don't trust at all - peaks on the meter is maybe 20% up the (unmarked) scale, when i hit -10 on my Tascam DR-40's meters recording the line level output.

6 hours ago, Mark Vesterskov said:

I'm considering modding it to add a stereo link button.

a small rubber band that loops around both knobs??

6 hours ago, Mark Vesterskov said:

The VU meters i don't trust at all - peaks on the meter is maybe 20% up the (unmarked) scale, when i hit -10 on my Tascam DR-40's meters recording the line level output.

it  might be helpful to get a tone generator that has an output that is a reliable amount of db to test the input of each unit and see how innacurate, or not, the meters are. i have been told that any xlr split lowers db by -6, generally.

the output of the audioroot should be delivering solid line level but perhaps the 5 pin out is chopping off -6 or more. a member who is more knowledgeable should jump in and clarify.

what exactly is generating the rest of the difference can be sorted out one way or another.

because of instances like this i was, at one point, seriously considering buying an RDL PT-AMG2:

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=1

for instances such as this but i never did. now i want one again just to play around with.

Could be a level mismatch. Or different types of meters, if there really is a VU meter on the Audioroot
i have been told that any xlr split lowers db by -6, generally.

It's not an XLR split, it's two different channels on a 5 pin xlr. There is nothing being split