Restoration Masters Techniques for the Nagra

MarkC

Like Luthiers of Stringed Instruments I assume repairers of Nagra's have their own unique techniques for replacing tricky parts. Thanks to Maestro Bond and a few other members here it seems this is the only place on the worldwide web to ask for information in the english language. I am Australian and do not speak foreign language apart from musical notation yadda yadda.

I am about to embark on removing a sticky gooey lid gasket on a Nagra IV and replacing it with a fresh new one. I have already read a descriptive approach to removing one but how do you put a new one on that is as good as the originals. Is there a technique, clamps or device to make this procedure easier?

Should I make a template? What is the best way to keep the gasket from glueing crooked and making it flush with the lid.

Peace

Mark

I have read instructions by one member who has described a way to remove an old decaying rubber gasket on a Nagra IV which has been helpful. Has anyone a detailed step by step approach to putting a fresh new gasket on? What glue and how can you make it fit beautifully straight like the originals? Peace

To answer my question I received very excellent suggestions. 

Firstly from Nagra

"Please note that the gasket is originally glued with a special tool before adding any other part to the chassis. This is no more possible, once the machine assembled. You should first remove the old gasket and clean the Tape deck. Use a two component glue, which glued slowly and hold the gasket down on his place with scotch tape and the plexi cover. Remove the glue residu once the gasket is glued."

Herbert Bartels

Nagraaudio

However I have decided to go with Dan Dugan's method which is to just replace the part of the gasket that is no good since 90% of the gasket is okay. I must say thanks to Philip and Dan for their time.