suggestions for shock mount

chris_bollard

Hi all

I'm looking for ideas to improve my I interior boom mic shock mount. I'm currently using a Rycote doughnut Softie mount for Senn 416 and Sanken CS1 or CS3 on an Ambient QX5100 pole.

For exterior work I use standard Rycote zeppelin system.

I've looked at both the K-Tek mount and the Connbox.

What is everyone else using to reduce handling noise?

I would try the new Rycote In Vision suspensions.

They are really effective and only cost about $70. I think the In Vision 7 is the one for most shotguns like MKH416/Sanken CS3 etc.

I use one with my MKH50 and another with Schoeps CMC and am very impressed with the improvement in handling noise after using the Ktek KSSM and Rycote rubber softie mount

Jon Chiles

The Rycote doughnut is one of my least favorite suspensions.

I've been a fan of the K-Tec Suspenders for quite some time now and use them in several different mounts.  They're really flexible as to where you can use them.  I have them mounted in Rycote windscreen suspensions, in an LTM, and they can even stretch to fit a larger diameter mic like the Rode NT-4 Stereo mic.

http://www.ktekbooms.com/products.php?id=46

The new InVision suspensions are nice, too.

http://www.rycote.com/products/invision/

JB

I agree the new Rycote mounts are the way to go.

The CS-1 (i love and have two of them) is very LF sensitive as it does not have a bass cut.

A couple of years ago I had the unusual experience of confronting the 2 Sanken design engineers

with this reality at the Sanken factory in Tokyo.

I told them of the problem and asked them why the CS-3e had a bass roll off.

"It's a boom mike" was the answer.

"So what's the CS-1?", asked!!!!!

No reply!!!!

Oh well that Japanese thinking!

Regards

Mike

www.mikewestgatesound.co.nz

A couple of years ago I had the unusual experience of confronting the 2 Sanken design engineers

with this reality at the Sanken factory in Tokyo.

I told them of the problem and asked them why the CS-3e had a bass roll off.

"It's a boom mike" was the answer.

"So what's the CS-1?", asked!!!!!

No reply!!!!

Oh well that Japanese thinking!

Regards

Mike

In all fairness to the Sanken people, when I had a conversation with them they seemed to indicate that the CS-1 was designed to be used as an "on camera" microphone, to be mounted on video cameras, etc. This doesn't let them off the hook by any means, I just thought I would pass that along.

-  Jeff Wexler

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input. Got a Rycote InVision INV7 and at the risk of overstating the results I have to say the experience has been life changing. Makes me ask why I put off getting a replacement shock mount for so long. Also makes me wonder why I haven't heard of the product before now. And at the price why not give it a try. Only downside was getting my hands on one, I won't elaborate.