Zoom FRC-8 Controller

AnuarYahya

4 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Compared with a large studio or FOH console the CL12 and the Oasis look like toys.  But they're not....right?  This is a cool thing. 

Yes, but with a 100mm fader you have more control. I suppose that is an excess for the price.

But, the FRC8 is very cool. I love the output selection on the master section, I love too all the direct access to scene, notes, track names, false, (very very cool), and the possibility of connect a USB keyboard

2 hours ago, ramallo said:

But, the FRC8 is very cool. I love the output selection on the master section, I love too all the direct access to scene, notes, track names, false, (very very cool), and the possibility of connect a USB keyboard

Any indications that the capacity to connect the usb keyboard will be limited to through the FRC-8? I imagine a firmware update will come with the unit to make it function and I wonder if we will be able to connect a keyboard directly..

2 hours ago, ramallo said:

Yes, but with a 100mm fader you have more control. I suppose that is an excess for the price.

https://wavreport.com/2016/12/12/mixing-it-up-on-a-musical-the-sound-of-la-la-land/     >> Steve Morrow working "LaLa Land"...with 2 Mackie 1604s on a high profile job with a huge track count.  You can mix on short faders.   I had the shorties on my old Audio Developments mixer and in 14 years of mono and stereo mixes never felt cramped by them, ditto my 36 input Yamaha.  The issue with the Zoom box will be how reliable those faders are (cheap sliders are notorious), how well the switching will work on that knob that is BOTH pan and trim, and how rugged both the physical and signal connections are to the recorder.   In the ad pix the soundie is working is a very dirty-looking environment--let's see how it holds up in that sort of situation (plus wind to blow all that crap around) for real.  I agree, getting to have a keyboard is worth the price just for that.

On 12/14/2016 at 0:51 PM, Sixnon said:

Any indications that the capacity to connect the usb keyboard will be limited to through the FRC-8? I imagine a firmware update will come with the unit to make it function and I wonder if we will be able to connect a keyboard directly..

Or at the very least release a "FRC-USB" (or whatever) that is a *very* small add on that you can connect a USB keyboard to, that you could then use with your mixing bag.

The Cantar X1 and 2 has 6cm faders, in the past i have mixed some films with them, you achieve yo do it , of course the p&g 10 cm cantarem 1 are much much better, for this price i'll buy one for my backup F8 recorder .

The Cantar X1 and 2 has 6cm faders, in the past i have mixed some films with them, you achieve yo do it , of course the p&g 10 cm cantarem 1 are much much better, for this price i'll buy one for my backup F8 recorder .

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Late to the party, but I just got an F8. Yes, it's a shame that the FRC-8 was dropped ..but the Bluetooth-connected iPad solid-state version of the same thing is just wonderful! ..Nothing physical or mechanical, to get snapped off, or caught up, or taking up space.

The only thing lacking - or perhaps I haven't quite got the hang of it - is that there's no audio-to-cans via the BT connection. That's the only let down.

9 hours ago, DHB said:

Late to the party, but I just got an F8. Yes, it's a shame that the FRC-8 was dropped ..but the Bluetooth-connected iPad solid-state version of the same thing is just wonderful! ..Nothing physical or mechanical, to get snapped off, or caught up, or taking up space.

The only thing lacking - or perhaps I haven't quite got the hang of it - is that there's no audio-to-cans via the BT connection. That's the only let down.

That‘s a good thing. Bluetooth audio is always late to the party, too ;)

I always prefer actual hardware controls over virtual faders. It’s one of the reasons I even got into this job in the first place. The feel and aura of all the actual hardware of things. That’s why I immediately bought the CL-16, for example. 
But it’s great to have the iPad option, like in a car to car situation.  And I used an ipad on a sailboat, mostly to keep the other gear away from any potential water damage

I've used the iPad also for when I needed to have control over the Zoom F8 while doing 360VR shoots. As my F8 had to be located under the 360VR camera, but I couldn't be there myself! (otherwise I'd be in shot)

The iPad is also useful simply to have a nice big screen to look at while you're mixing with the Zoom F Control (as  you can use both at once).