Obama/Trevor Noah intv red cam fan noise!!??

runawaytrains

Or else there's a vacuum cleaner on in the room!!? Being a very anal sound mistress right now...

Hey Phil, thanks. I work with them and know the sound a bit. Yes better than before, but I can tell a fan noise diff from light to cam. Look up interview (a good one) online and let me know what you think.? I'm just mostly curious what others think after listening. As a doc mixer for 18yrs, it's like a game to me to find the anonymous sound in the interview! Cheers, happy holidays. :)

http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/dd2z7w/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-december-12--2016---president-barack-obama-season-22-ep-22036

Ya, that's pretty loud. Does sound RED like, too. Or camera like, at least. But this past month we've been rolling a couple REDs on a bunch of interviews around the US (at various temp and humidity levels). Weapon and Raven with, iirc, the latest (or almost latest) firmware. No waiting on fan for us. Same for the last couple of years, pretty much. Maybe that looping slider they're using is noisy (probably sounds different)? But your guess, camera fan noise, seems pretty good. 

I'd guess Obama gave them 30min max; no way they were going to stop to hunt through menus... :-)

That is the Roosevelt Room @ the WH I believe, I have had the good fortune to record President Obama in this room.  The HVAC in this room is pretty loud, this is the room that he records his weekly address in as well.  They did offer to turn the unit off during our work there but it is not just a switch on the wall to get it done, so often what happens is that the president will roll in and there is not time to get it shut down quickly going through the proper channels and it is something that they like to not do beforehand, so I have had to live with it as part of the BG. 

Nah, not camera or not all camera anyhow.  Red fans don't stay at one (loud) speed for long periods of time unless they are blazing hot, which I doubt this room was.  You might get this much noise if they had a very hot camera sitting in idle and NOT rolling for some reason, but it would have to be very close to the talent (they are wearing lavs, even).  The sound doesn't seem to change as the camera tracks either.  The whistley nature of the noise sounds a lot like the noise Briese Lights make, esp if they aren't assembled correctly, there are also some LED light fans that can make a sound like this.  Another possibility is that since they didn't have time to kill the HVAC in the room, someone helpfully either semi-closed the air register or partly covered it--both of which can cause a whistle.  Bad day @ the office for sound.

The White House is a noisy old building.  And there's not much that can be done about it. And in that room, the Roosevelt Room as Chris said, a guy from the Park Service has to turn off the air handlers and if he's not around they stay on.

The crew was cameramen Ken Woo, Bill Donald and Julio Luzquinos, sound mixer T. Michael Coleman, gaffer Donny Aros and grip Will Iverson. All seasoned craftsmen and nice guys.

Best regards,

Jim