ADR with a 633, motu traveller and FCP6

David Silberberg

Last week I used my SD 633 as a digital front end for an impromptu ADR session. A cameraman friend of mine called me and asked if I could record some wild lines for an actress from Germany and I said sure, ok, she can come over to my house and we'll record those wild lines in a few minutes, but then I get an email from the German post house listing all the tech requirements for an ADR looping session and a link to the video clip with the scene to ADR and uh oh "I think I may be in over my head." I'm not running a big audio post house- I don't even have ProTools. I may have to find her to a real post house. Then I looked again and saw what they wanted delivered was an OMF file and I thought maybe I can do this with Final Cut Pro 6, which I do have on my Imac.
So I set the 633 for AES out to feed the audio interface on my computer ( Motu Traveler) and then used the 'Voice Over" tool in FCP to record takes. It worked perfectly. Set up the 633 for mono output and when I clicked the record button in the 'voice over' window FCP played back the video clip just where the actress needed it so she could sync up to it. I created a new track for each take. Did 5 or 6 takes and done...
Exported the OMF file from final cut, which is only about 40MB because it contains the few seconds of the actual ADR'd lines. Tested it by opening the OMF file in Audio Desk ( kind of jr. version of Digital Performer) all the takes we did lined up each on it's own track. Sounded good too. I'm so impressed with the 633. I kind of doubted that I'd ever need AES output, but now I see that the 633 makes a great front end for a computer recording session.  I also rolled the 633 to make a back-up .wav file. Pretty cool little machine.