Buy a new wireless

login

Thank you for your answers.

I want your opinion on how these machines behave in your daily job and amount helps you.

As i said i have the SD mixer.i bought him because i do most documantary,road shows e.t.c(difficult conditions) and i believe that  you will not betray me easily.(weather conditions,dust,humidity...) 

With tha same criteria i want to choose and the wireless system.

I know lectro is the best choice for that,or wisycom(with wideband and true dual diversity) but i believe zaxcom is 2 steps forward!!

It is not difficult to learn how zaxcom works,alredy have understood without bit touches!!

They will be able to help me in my job?

Worth to investing in zax product with SD mixer?can i have zaxnet?

For someone who loves the job and he shall not be stagnates the trading in it not bad!!

Thank you. :)

SoundCricket

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/24/2016 at 8:20 AM, Jeff Wexler said:

To Werner Althaus: you did the right thing. The most important statement in your rather lengthy dismissal of Zaxcom (the huge list of all the things you DON'T need and do not want your "operators" to have to be bothered with) is this: 

"Our experience with our current gear tells me that we don't need to expand our capabilities that way, we just need more of what we already have and know."

I do wonder why you "struggled with the decision" and why you state that the move to Zaxcom would have been "to the next level" since you so clearly state in great detail that you have no need for that level: "much of what Zaxcom offers is very cool, revolutionary in fact, but not essential to what we do at my place of employment".

I would just add that sometimes you just don't know what you're missing until you actually use it...then you can't live without it!  If you've never heard a DPA lav or a Zaxcom wireless rig, then that "only" system you've been using all this time is certainly the best you've ever heard or will hear until you do make the leap.  Perhaps making that leap would have improved your product greatly, but sounds like that isn't the priority...the status quo and ease of support is...

On 20/12/2016 at 4:18 PM, MartinTheMixer said:

Constantin, Someone had mentioned long ago that Wysicom had terrible customer service. I sent them an email asking a pre-sales question. It has been 14 months, I am still waiting. If they don't care about making money on sales, how concerned are they going to be about repairs. The terrible customer service comment came from a dealer. 

I find it really interesting how some manufacturers treat dealers terrible and yet treat customers really pretty well. 

Then there are manufacturers that treat dealers great and blow off the actual customers. Odd.

Sincerely, Martin 

I sent two emails to Wisycom. One a few months ago, the other one a few years ago. I received a very prompt answer for each emails, and a precise answer to my question.

3 minutes ago, VM said:

I sent two emails to Wisycom. One a few months ago, the other one a few years ago. I received a very prompt answer for each emails, and a precise answer to my question.

VM, I sent one, I posted when, but I think it was about 15 months ago from memory. I also sent one 5 days ago. No answer to either. I think the proof is right here, or the lack of it. Why is there no response from Wysicom on any of this conversation. Zero. As a joke maybe every New Year's day I'll just start putting on my calendar, make it my annual joke to send Wysicom an email. 

Sincerely, Martin 

VM, I sent one, I posted when, but I think it was about 15 months ago from memory. I also sent one 5 days ago. No answer to either. I think the proof is right here, or the lack of it. Why is there no response from Wysicom on any of this conversation. Zero. As a joke maybe every New Year's day I'll just start putting on my calendar, make it my annual joke to send Wysicom an email. 

Sincerely, Martin 

Just like my personal experiences with Zaxcom only hint (at the most) at an issue with build quality, your unanswered calls don't prove anything. It's just your experience. 5 days ago they could have been closed for the holidays, today would have been their first day back, or maybe they are closed until the new year?

Maybe they also didn't want to respond? What did you write to them?

9 hours ago, wbrock001 said:

I would just add that sometimes you just don't know what you're missing until you actually use it...then you can't live without it!  If you've never heard a DPA lav or a Zaxcom wireless rig, then that "only" system you've been using all this time is certainly the best you've ever heard or will hear until you do make the leap.  Perhaps making that leap would have improved your product greatly, but sounds like that isn't the priority...the status quo and ease of support is...

FWIW, I have been using dpa lavs for over 15 years but when buying more lavs for our unit I still buy MKE-2 gold because I feel they work better for what we do. I'm not saying I'm correct about this or that my opinion should be the last word for others, I'm saying that the  MKE-2s have proven themselves and there's no upside to trying something else at this point. They (like a lot of our other gear we stick with, SD mixers, Sennheiser shotguns, etc.) have been to places like Antarctica, South America, Africa, etc. and have always come through under difficult conditions. BTW,  got a set of Sankens on order now so we'll see how that goes. I love dpa's but that doesn't make them the better mics for us.

Anyway, I posted my viewpoint with the intention to reinforce the notion that needs vary a great deal among different users and that the OP should look at what it is he really needs when comparing brands. For myself I believe that I have spent enough time researching this topic to know and understand exactly what I would be missing in a Zaxcom system. I honestly have a hard time understanding why it seems anything but plausible that the features offered by Zaxcom do not matter all that much to some when compared to the tried and true performance of what is a known entity. Nowhere have I dissed or dismissed Zaxcom, quite the contrary but I know what we need and what we don't need to do our job at this time.

In the past I have successfully argued to purchase top-of-the-line wireless (Sennheiser 5000 series) because at that time there was nothing out there to match it in terms of reliability and sound quality. I succeeded because I could prove a need. Same goes for many other purchases where the better product warranted retraining and additional expense.

But the truth about these wireless is (as some have pointed out) that they are all good enough to get excellent results and if our results suffer it won't be because of the wireless we used. I doubt that the "leap" (remember, I wanted to make that leap....for other reasons) would result in an improved product. Improved workflow for dual system shoots, added control and future-proofing, yes but I didn't see that alone being a good enough reason .....at this point.

And one more thing regarding priorities...Yes, retaining institutional quality standards throughout the years has always been a much bigger priority for me than being an early adopter of state-of-the-art technology. When the two go hand in hand I'm all for it but in this case I feel they are on a collision course. Note that I said "I feel", not "I know"

Well I'd agree with you there that to use those features by people who individually may not have time or interest to use them properly and then you having to support those more casual users could be problematic. But then I think that was the point of others that the audio quality is the key factor and they're just as simple to use as any other wireless if you dont want to use their advanced features. I've been dismissive of features in the past mostly because I couldnt afford them at the time but once i used them, found them indispensable.   Sometimes the being in the rough reveals just how useful a feature can be. 

9 hours ago, login said:

Yes.

You can use a QRX235 receiver that has an IFB (ZaxNet) transmitter installed. The QRX235 is basically a block specific QRX200 that can be outfitted with a ZaxNet transceiver.

Or you can use an IFB200. The IFB200 is stand alone ZaxNet transceiver that also features a built in two track backup recorder. 

Or you can use TRX900CL camera link transmitter. The TRX900CL is primarily a UHF transmitter that can send 2 channels of broadcast quality audio and time code to a camera. But the TRX900CL also has a ZaxNet transeceiver with all the same features and functionality that the IFB200 has - including the 2 channel recorder. The UHF and or the ZaxNet transmitter can independently be turned off and on so you can have the flexibility of operating both together or independently.  

The nice thing about any one of the above ZaxNet transceivers is you can also feed audio and time code to ERX receivers.

15 hours ago, login said:

Thank you for your answers.

I want your opinion on how these machines behave in your daily job and amount helps you.

As i said i have the SD mixer.i bought him because i do most documantary,road shows e.t.c(difficult conditions) and i believe that  you will not betray me easily.(weather conditions,dust,humidity...) 

With tha same criteria i want to choose and the wireless system.

I know lectro is the best choice for that,or wisycom(with wideband and true dual diversity) but i believe zaxcom is 2 steps forward!!

It is not difficult to learn how zaxcom works,alredy have understood without bit touches!!

They will be able to help me in my job?

For someone who loves the job and he shall not be stagnates the trading in it not bad!!

Thank you. :)

SoundCricket

There is a list spread over three posts above, with I believe, 14 points which you should consider and weigh as per your own needs. That might help you decide. Generally for documentary, I think Zaxcom recording tx are a very good choice. This can help you a lot in certain circumstances. More so, I think, on doc stuff than on scripted stuff. If you should get an IFB 200 as controller, consider that it will need some power to run. If you are in a remote place and need to conserve your batteries as much as possible, this may not help, but you could just switch it off and let the tx record on its own. In fact, you would only need the IFB200 to sync TC to all tx, then you could switch it off. Same if you use a QRX235, but I would guess it needs less battery for the Zaxnet option, so it might be the wiser choice.

You have to decide for yourself if you need the build quality Lectro provides or if you need that of Zaxcom, or some other manufacturer.

Since you are based in Europe, I would like to mention once more Audio Ltd. They have a digital system available now, and it, too, offers recording in the transmitter. For remote control you can use an iphone app. Since many people agree that Audio Ltd offers the best audio quality, this may be a very good third option. I can't comment on ruggedness, though

To Werner: how many times are you going to tell us that you are pleased with your decision to stick with what you know (for your team, your "unit") and everyone should really think about their individual needs, etc., etc. "I honestly have a hard time understanding why it seems anything but plausible that the features offered by Zaxcom do not matter all that much to some when compared to the tried and true performance of what is a known entity." Although you say you are not dissing or dismissing Zaxcom, this statement pits "features offered by Zaxcom up against "tried and true performance" implies that going with Zaxcom somehow puts you in un-chartered waters. Well, you have said over and over again that YOU don't want to go there. 

The whole my email to the manufacturer didn't get answered argument irks me somewhat.

Like most I've sent emails that have been not answered , I have also received replies way out of business hours. Sometimes I have to chase things up with a phone call, even if there is a thirteen hour time difference.  

Really can we expect the likes of Gordan, John, Glenn, Howie to respond to all our emails. They are going to scim over them and reply as best as time fits. Some of our issues/problems will simply be missed. If you wish to be heard, keep it concise with the realitive details.    

Some companies are a a little better at responding/better resourced then others but my hat goes off to all, in appreciation over the years 

As always, this conversation is filled with a lot of good insights from a lot of great sound mixers.  Everyone has their own preferences on what's the best tool for a job, but simply said, you can't go wrong with Lectrosonics nor Zaxcom.  To me it's like saying, "What's better, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini?" (although both are WAY more reliable than an Italian sports car...).  I'm still using six Lectrosonics SMQa transmitters (I think they were made ~8 years ago before there were SMQV's?).  Bought them used, still work great.  Even though I might "upgrade" to something newer the next year or so, I'll probably just keep them for backup or if I'm on a bigger show and need more wireless channels.  That being said, I'm sure if I had the Zaxcom equivalent from a few years back I would be equally as happy.

7 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

To Werner: how many times are you going to tell us that you are pleased with your decision to stick with what you know (for your team, your "unit") and everyone should really think about their individual needs, etc., etc. "I honestly have a hard time understanding why it seems anything but plausible that the features offered by Zaxcom do not matter all that much to some when compared to the tried and true performance of what is a known entity." Although you say you are not dissing or dismissing Zaxcom, this statement pits "features offered by Zaxcom up against "tried and true performance" implies that going with Zaxcom somehow puts you in un-chartered waters. Well, you have said over and over again that YOU don't want to go there. 

I was responding to wbrock001, trying to address his post directed at me regarding quality. But the more I read the more I'm convinced I should just refrain from posting in any thread regarding Zaxcom on this forum because the discussion seems to always turn negative. 

The fact that you interpret my posts as "being pleased" with my decision speaks volumes to my inability to make my point effectively. I am far from pleased with my decision, it wasn't what I wanted to do personally. But it doesn't matter anyway since I'm cast as the guy who dismisses Zaxcom, oh well. I think I'll live.

Appreciate everyone's opinion in the thread. I know this has gone into a Zaxcom vs. Lectro discussion mostly and I currently use Lectro myself but if I was buying new I'd take a long look at the Audio Ltd. 1010 system, especially if you use Sound Devices 688. I definitely read Mr. Ford's review, but curious if anyone has experience with them, or any thoughts you'd like to share? 

I use all zaxcom.  

Love being able to re-freq without bothering talent, that's a major plus. 

The inbuilt recorder is very handy as a backup recording and I always include them in a backup folder on bigger jobs,  If you ever did forget to hit the record button, it's there, just peace of mind. 

Neverclip is more useful than you might think, so many movies even to this day I can tell are most likely on lectro because the mixer wasn't quick with the trim, or the transmitters gain wasn't set right and therefore over modulated.  With neverclip, you will never clip, (so long as the capsule can handle)

Gripes about zaxcom,  not very weather resistant, they could have easily made them weather resistant.

For whatever reason my lectro wired mics have never had a problem at the connector,  with zaxcom, the lemo connector i've had to repair at least 4 so far in the last couple years, just doesn't seem to protect the wire as snug as the lectro. 

Their TX definately get hot,  all 5 of mine get quite warm, not burning hot but uncomfortable, i'm getting complaints about it all the time from different talent.  I've seen others express this as well. Lectro,  always runs much cooler. 

A pet peeve which will never change, is having to move the rotaries to bring attention to a given channel before you adjust it's gain...   wish they had optional tiny faders like SD.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2016 at 11:47 PM, MartinTheMixer said:

Sincerely, Martin 

The 13h of October I sent a mail at  support AT wisycom DOT com about wdf files at 11:43. I got a usable answer the same day at 12:03.

Not so bad !

2 minutes ago, VM said:

The 13h of October I sent a mail at  support AT wisycom DOT com about wdf files at 11:43. I got a usable answer the same day at 12:03.

Not so bad !

I'm still waiting for them to respond to my first message from over a year ago and I'm still waiting for the response from my message to them about 2 weeks ago. Why are they not asking on this forum what they can do for anyone who says they didn't get a return to their email? I think that says it right there.

I'm still waiting for them to respond to my first message from over a year ago and I'm still waiting for the response from my message to them about 2 weeks ago. Why are they not asking on this forum what they can do for anyone who says they didn't get a return to their email? I think that says it right there.

No, it doesn't. They may not even be aware of this forum. And if they are, they may not wish to participate for whatever reason. Many manufacturers do not post here.

There may be a number of reasons why they did not respond to you. Without knowing your email, we cannot even begin to guess

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

No, it doesn't. They may not even be aware of this forum. And if they are, they may not wish to participate for whatever reason. Many manufacturers do not post here.

There may be a number of reasons why they did not respond to you. Without knowing your email, we cannot even begin to guess

I have responded to this 3 times.

I have responded to this 3 times.

No, not all, actually. All you ever mentioned was that you had a pre-sales question. More detail would be needed (although I am not actually interested in it), and while I agree that it was a bad experience for you personally, it in no way constitutes anything even remotely resembling "proof".
Just for the fun of it, why don't you just sebd them another email today?

51 minutes ago, Constantin said:

No, not all, actually. All you ever mentioned was that you had a pre-sales question. More detail would be needed (although I am not actually interested in it), and while I agree that it was a bad experience for you personally, it in no way constitutes anything even remotely resembling "proof".
Just for the fun of it, why don't you just sebd them another email today?

Constantin, Yes at all. You are wrong. This is my fourth response that I have spent time typing,  this website failed to post the first 2, so I simply typed "this is my third time". 

What I typed earlier, is that I want YOU to tell me what to send them, what YOU think they should respond to. I didn't ask them about global warming or Toyota corporate fuel economy projections for 2018. I asked them a business  question. And as far as proof. Yes, if I see something myself, yes, that is proof. Brace yourself for an analogy. If a driver smashes into your car, and you saw them, that proves to YOU that it happened. Someone else doubting that you saw what you saw, does not diminish what you saw. It's a very simple premise.

And this wraps up response number 4.

Sincerely, Martin 

Oh my, sorry I didn't see, on some meta-level, the responses you gave yet didn't post.
I am not questioning your experience, I believe you when you say that they didn't respond. Following your analogy, after that accident you can rightly say that you did indeed have an accident, but you cannot draw the conclusion that the carmaker of your car is generally a bad carmaker, even if they did, perhaps, make a mistake with your car.
I also believe that your question to Wisycom was in some way related to their product. Yet what I meant was, we don't know how you worded it. And as I already mentioned in up to three further replies in this thread (which I actually posted), we don't know any of the circumstances under which they received your enquiry.
So, why don't you write to them today?